Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

Fire in the Sky [Closed]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Fire in the Sky [Closed] - Page 3 Empty Re: Fire in the Sky [Closed]

Post by Lilac Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:55 pm

"Thank you," Richard murmured. "I'm in your debt, Inspector."

At the mention of needing to rest, Richard tensed.

"I'm...alright," he said. "I think I can manage at the meeting. Delilah's scared me awake."

Holding his coat over him like a blanket, he stood up, walking past Jinn towards the meeting room.

In the meeting room, Delilah and Heinlein were both standing over the table and glaring at each other.

"You want me to trust you? You hand your info first!" she barked. "Why should I have to give the intel on the operation to someone who literally compromised the Expiate's power in Stahlmin!?"

"Get over yourself, Veiller!" Heinlein frowned. "That was ten years ago and I've said time and time again that I've regretted it! Why else do you think I'm here? I want to HELP."

"There's a difference between 'help' and doing things in exchange for favors," she said.

Richard cleared his throat. The two straightened up, Delilah glaring at him.

"Oi. What are you doing back here?" she said. "You're supposed to be sleeping."

Richard rubbed his forehead.

"I'm fine now," he said. "Everyone, please excuse me for my behavior. I'm fully alert now. Where are you now?"

Delilah crossed her arms and huffed.

"The agreement on exchanging intel on the Leiger and Janwynne cases," she said. "Martel wants us to send our info first. I said I'm not sending anything until we get our hands on their files to make sure anything is of value."

Richard sighed.

"I see," he said. "Martel, care briefing me and the Inspector?"

"But of course," Martel said merrily. "The Expiate handled the cult activity that arose in Leiger, something the Stahl military wants more control over given that it directly has to do with civil uprisings and less of Cantic control. Meanwhile, a unit of Stahl officers dealt with a Moira case in Janwynne, something that was never reported in full detail to the Expiate."

"It's an isolated incident, however," Richard said. "I remember the report being filed. How does it relate to our current agreements?"

Heinlein cleared his throat.

"Moira are urgent business, Commander," Heinlein said. "That's all there is to it. I take it Special Operations were in charge of that, too?"

Delilah leered at Heinlein. Richard sighed as he sat down in his seat.

"It doesn't need to be confidential, we can give it," he said.

"Great~" Martel beamed. "We can discuss the info in detail at the next respective meeting and exchange files and reports there on the agreed specifics. Now, onto you, Inspector."

Martel looked at Jinn, pointing her walking cane towards him. She grinned.

"Aside from the detailed report of the Unanimity incident," she said. "What Heinlein and I would like is if, in cooperation with some of our units, you can conduct an investigation for us."

Richard arched his eyebrow.

"Investigation?" he asked.

"Richard highly commends you for your investigative skills," Martel said. "And a partnership between our organizations can prove useful in cracking down this whole mystery magic business, don't you think?"

Delilah straightened up.

"You want to assign one of our men to your investigations?" Delilah asked.

"It's not uncommon," Heinlein said. "Stahlmin and the Expiate has worked before on various operations such as defensive and Cantic-related issues. An investigation in that area wouldn't be hard, right?"

"We can agree on a list of objectives for the investigation," Martel said. "I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to find information on users of magic similar to what was witnessed, right? And I'm sure you have info on witnesses that can help you trace the target person?"

Richard cleared his throat.

"Is a single person really worth such trouble?" Richard asked.

"Yeah," Delilah, for once, agreed. "You're asking us to take our head investigator off of his regular tasks to basically do a headhunt for someone you 'speculate' is using 'suspicious' magic."

"Well, it's not just really that single person," Martel said. "I mean they're definitely part of it, but there's issues about similar cases as a whole--pieces lying all over the Esterelf continent and we'd like you, Inspector Jinn to piece them together."

"It's quite ambitious," Heinlein said. "But we're willing to aid you with any resources needed- manpower, finances, and even jurisdiction over certain actions that otherwise don't fall in the hands of the Expiate."
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:18 am

Jinn had a look of obvious surprise when things were directed to him. He folded his hands behind his back and straightened himself as if he was under inspection.

"I consider it an honor you would consider me for such a task," he stated carefully and briskly. "However, such a widespread venture would take away from my other duties. Times have been unsettling as of late and I've found myself occupied with a number of cases and unrest among civilians. I also have a different... obligation entrusted to me."

Jinn glanced to Richard, meeting his eyes as if exchanging thoughts. Jinn had been entrusted as the guardian to a certain someone and that was a pressing matter for a different reason.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Richard closed his eyes for a moment, but in contemplation rather than out of narcolepsy.

"He'll do it."

"He'll what?" Delilah asked.

"We'll lend Inspector Jinn to the case," Richard repeated. "Tell me I'm wrong, Martel, but I'm certain that Inspector Jinn's involvement is a non-negotiable in the bargain."

From where she sat, Martel smiled smugly, but feigned defeat. "You could always read me so well, Commander Veiller~" she said. "But, yes. We probably wouldn't have budged if you refused to cooperate on the magic issue."

"And you don't have to worry," Heinlein reassured. "All information relaying will still be in your care. We'll just have one of our delegates present during your reports. They'll, in turn, tell us and we make decisions together."

Delilah looked around the room and frowned. "I guess I can't stop this," she said. "Inspector Jinn, promise me you'll prove to these nitwits that they're wasting precious resources once you end this investigation, eh?"

"Anything else?" Richard asked.

"Well, just one other thing..." Heinlein said. "I know we're already asking a lot, and this is honestly separate of the matter, but we're wondering if we can delegate someone under your care."

"Delegate?"

Heinlein nodded and passed a folder towards Inspector Jinn. "We have, err, an Enkidu who seems...'ill-fitted' to her current stations. She's of exceptional ability despite her age, but she has trouble acting professionally. I thought she might serve well under your officers."

"You can also think of her as 'insurance'," Martel chimed in. "We wouldn't put you, Inspector Jinn, in any harm if one of our own were with you at all times."

The name on the file read: Nijore Stefka.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:27 am

Jinn was taken aback with the commander's statement, but as he listened along he quickly straightened and folded his hands behind his back.

"Very well. In that case, I'll perform to the best of my abilities," he stated.

Then came the second condition. Jinn picked up the file and flipped through it, reading it quickly but thoroughly.

"Stefka... isn't a Sakigake family name," Jinn noted.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 pm

"Nijore's a third-generation immigrant," Heinlein explained. "When her family came here, they changed their surname to a more local one."

"How old is she? How about her combat experience?" Richard asked.

Pipi hovered over to read the file from Jinn's seat. "Eighteen years old," she said. "Hm, that's rather young. Five years in combat, though. But that would mean..."

At this, Heinlein shuffled in his seat uneasily. "Miss Stefka lost her family to a Moira attack in Eisleyn a few years back. I think you're familiar with which one. That said, she'd been living in the wilderness doing odd jobs. She was found by a recon troop of ours and, after a cooperative settlement during one operation, enlisted. She's been with us for two years."

"And why do you think she'd do well with us?" Delilah asked.

"Because you're a bunch of freaks, duh?" Martel said. The two glared at each other for a moment.

"What Martel means to say," Heinlein said. "Is that we know you're good at handling special combat cases and making good use of their talents. I think the same would go for Miss Stefka, especially given your...'experimental' facility with Dr. Gagne."

"Fine, I'll go over the file and approve it the first thing tonight," Richard said.

"Commander," Delilah warned. Richard stayed his hand.

"I think that settles it for today," he said. "We'll organize the paperwork. Thank you again for your time. The both of you."

A couple of day after the agreement, Jinn was summoned to Richard's office for his new ward. On his way there, he'd notice Pipi walking out.

"Oh, Inspector!" Pipi said enthusiastically. "Are you here to meet Ore?"
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:37 am

Ever since that day, Jinn had been studying the documents provided to him with extreme scrutiny. He chose not to say anything further during the meeting, but he had quiet a few feelings about the situation.

When the day came and Jinn was given notice, the inspector made his way to the office dutifully, staring at the ground in deep thought as he walked. Suddenly, he ran into the doctor. He looked up in mild surprise and gently smiled, tipping his hat in curtsy.

"Why good morning Doc. Yes, I've been called to meet with my new ward," he stated. "What are you doing here Miss. Pipi?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 pm

"Oh, well, I had to do an initial assessment of Ore's behavior," Pipi explained. "Especially considering the fact that Col. Heinlein mentioned she had trouble communicating. I've already given the general summary to Chief. Eheh..."

Pipi's laughter quickly faded out and she started fidgeting in place. "I'll be honest that I'm not the most comfortable around, erm...Enkidu. Being from Saoirse, I never really knew any in my circles and they still kinda intimidate me. That said! Ore should be really nice if Heinlein and Chief think highly of her! I suggest you have this though."

Pipi handed Jinn what seemed to be an entirely blank thick notebook and a pen. "You'll need to carry an extra one around for her, just in case. Anyways, good luck, Inspector! I'll be off now!"

The doctor hummed herself away, allowing Jinn to enter the room. He'd see Richard seated at his desk and an odd girl in front of him. The first thing he'd probably notice was her particularly wide eyes, as if they had been permanently forced open. Dark circles smudged underneath them and the redness suggested eye strain. Her lips were a straight tense line. Her hair was gray, messy, and hung over her shoulders with a couple of braid strands. Upon Jinn entering, the girl's tabby cat ears perked up.

"Ah, Inspector," Richard said from his seat. "You're here. Come in, please. I'd like you to meet Nijore."

"N...nn..."

The girl quickly jotted onto her paper. "Ore. Not Nijore. Please."

"Ah, right, sorry. She prefers to be called Ore," Richard said. "You'll have to pardon her. She doesn't really like using her voice."

The girl wrote some more.

"Voice. Scary. Ears hurt. Write only."
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:27 am

Jinn looked at Ore, taken aback a little, but his gaze relaxed and he smiled softly. He pressed a fist against his palm and bowed his head.

"Na ghi," he greeted kindly. The traditional greeting of welcome for the enkidu. It fell out of practice among the ones who immigrated to Esterelf but it is still known amongst them as the most proper and respectful way to welcome another.

"I'm very happy to meet you, Ore," Jinn stated, smiling gently at the girl. "We'll be working together for a while. Is there anything you'd like to ask me?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:30 pm

Ore's ears twitched for a moment, and then her head tilted. She looked at Jinn intently before jotting something down.

"Words not good. Those words...even less good."

Richard read it, straightening up in realization. "Ah, that's right. Jacqueline's affirmed for me that Ore struggles with language, but even moreso with the Sakigake one," he said. He furrowed his brow. "While the bio didn't state it, she managed to make out that Ore doesn't know a word of Sakinese."

More scribbling. "Don't know. Or maybe don't remember."

Richard bobbed his head. "We'll settle for Aldmerrian then. That seems to be the language she's most familiar with. You're free to show her to her new quarters. I'd take it the clerks have set up a new workspace for her in her office, too."

Ore suddenly perked up and jotted down more. "Gun?"

"Right. Your weapon should have been delivered there," Richard explained.

"Bullets?"

"Also there. You don't need to worry."

Ore nodded slowly and moved over to Jin, her eyes still a glassy red. She made a salute with the notebook tucked under her arm.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Sun May 30, 2021 9:20 am

Jinn visibly looked surprised but smiled softly.

"In that case, it's nice to meet you Ore," Jinn stated. She smiled at Ore and listened to her and the Commander talk, but as the conversation went on, his eye twitched and his head lowered.

"I'm sorry sir, but... this isn't..." Jinn pinched the rim of his head and tilted it over his eyes as if trying to hide how glum his expression turned. "Alice was one thing... but she's so young..."

He looked at Ore with such a saddened expression, a stark comparison to his cheery demeanor, before looking back at Richard.

"Children shouldn't be fighting... It's the responsibility of us adults to protect them," Jinn stated. "Guns, weaponry... It just doesn't sit easy with me for a child to talk about these things... Even with Alice it's..."

Jinn breathed in to calm himself. This truly upset him.

"I'm sorry. I spoke out of turn," Jinn stated, folding his hands behind his back. "I will follow my orders to the letter. What's first on the agenda?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:34 pm