A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Touring the City [Closed]

Lilac
    Admin

Touring the City [Closed]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 am

Note: This thread is an import from the old Zetaboards site. The original thread can be found here

Tourmaline walked happily, having a bag load of new enchanting books that she'd just bought. Hugo had come along with her, asking if she minded if they toured the city a little bit. She'd agreed, hoping to get to know Hugo a little better, since he was living with her and all.

It wasn't the only reason; Tourmaline was hoping to tell him she was a former Walpurgi today, open up a little bit. He would've pretty easily figured it out anyway, considering that she and Violet had about six thousand books on the topic of Walpurgi politics, and Tourmaline had made it relatively clear that she had something hidden from him.

Not that she was planning on telling him about the Haven. That would be a definite breach of trust.

However, for the moment, she was happy to walk along and chat. "So, uhm, Hugo, what country are you originally from?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Touring the City [Closed]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 am

"Oh, I'm from a smallish Aldermerrow village. More a small hamlet for all of the plantations around to have like, schools and such. Anyway, it was much nicer than this slum you guys insist on calling a city. Hugo secretly loved the city, even though he dismissed it at every turn. The sights and smells, not to mention opportunity literally pooling on every street corner excited him, turned him internally into some kind of hyperactive 6 year old in a candy store. He saw every storefront as a chance to ply his craft with new inventions and works of magic, and every step along the sidewalk as another step closer to his destiny, and frankly, his heart was racing faster than his mind was. "Man,", he said, catching Tourmalines attention with a little elbow nudge. "I could really go for tacos. Is there a good taco place around here?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline laughed. "I grew up in a small town, too; I didn't like it much, although my uncle-- he's the one who taught me magic-- told me he preferred it to cities. I dunno, I just like cities. Especially the cities in Stahlmin, the lights are beautiful at night. Not to mention, there's knowledge abound."

At his taco question, she laughed again. "Uhm, yeah, somewhat close. We gotta go turn left and walk for a little while there, so just follow me."

After a moment of silence, she said, "Say, what's your medium? I don't think I've seen it."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"My medium?" He pulled it out. His medium was a pocketwatch, which was at first a simple brass timekeeper, but on every surface were a number of marks and runes, which together made up pieces of larger runes. It kind of makes your head ache to look at it, what with the zentangle looking patterns and such. It had differently colored, much cheaper looking chain, which connected to a rivet on his pants. He unhooked it, and handed it to Tourmaline to look at. "I didn't make it or anything, before you ask. I'm not that good at what I do, period, but also I'm not good enough to make something like that."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline held it gently, acutely aware that people could get antsy about their mediums. "Interesting. I don't recognize the marks on it, do they have a purpose? I mean, mine for example..." She pulled out her pin, showing it to Hugo, including the tiny Transformation marks on it. "They're transfiguration spells."

She handed back the watch, worried that she'd been holding it for too long.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"They're uh, protective spells." After a moments thought, he added, "I-I think, anyway. I can't read them, I always lose my place when I'm translating them, but the person who made it and gave it to me, told me so, so I believe her." He took the watch back and clipped it back onto his pants, with a satisfying little snap. "I mean, it could be a steamy love poem or something, knowing her." His face suddenly flushed, realizing what it sounded like he was saying, "Not to me, of course. She was my mentor, you know, and my friend... but my mentor first. She taught me pretty much all I know about Physical Alchemy." Not that it was that much, of course.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline nodded; she understood that particular feeling, the memories of mentoring and, in his case, friendship, in hers, family.

They were close to the restaurant now, and Tourmaline stopped outside. It felt weird to just bring it up out of nowhere, but regardless, she said, "Hey, so uh, Hugo, you should know, since you're going to be living with us and all, I'm, uhm, Atoned." Unsure of how he'd react, Tourmaline kept a magic shield spell at the forefront of her mind, ready to react at a moment's notice.

It was a super common occurrence, that she was attacked, but it was common enough to at least take precautions for it. Still, Tourmaline didn't want to tell him later, and risk alienating a friend rather than a likable acquaintance.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 am

Really. That was the secret? That was the crazy spooky thing they were keeping from him? Out. Rageous. "Oh yeah? Boring. Who even cares about that kind of thing?" Unbelievable. "Man, after I showed you my illegal magic, and literally incredibly dangerous daily life, my actually violent background and everything, and still expecting, or demanding, that you respect me as a person beyond all that, the big hangup between us all was that you're Atoned." He sniffed aggressively. "That's more insulting than you being Atoned ever would have been, honestly."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline relaxed somewhat. She was sorry to have offended him, although it was definitely a good sign that he thought that that was all they were hiding. She shrugged at him, "People-- criminals, even, as you say-- have attacked me in the past for it. I wanted to wait, and be safe."

"I'm sorry that hurt you, or upset you, but... You know, due caution and all that. I like you, Hugo, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have been someone sent to like, inspect me or something, you know?" She hoped he understood. She finished, wondering if she was going to far, "I can't promise that there won't be further secrets among the three of us. But I want to get to the point where there aren't. Does that sound okay?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"It's just so unfair. You have me at a complete disadvantage." Now, as much as Hugo likes to complain, he knows that he's not actually that upset. It takes some time to trust people and everything, and honestly he respected the way that she just out and said it, it's a pretty dangerous to just tell someone you just met. "Your rationale is off too, the expiate doesn't send in secret agents, the just arrest you. There's no subtlety to them, you know."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:35 am