Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

The Little Princess [Closed]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The Little Princess [Closed] Empty The Little Princess [Closed]

Post by Lilac Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:47 am

Despite what happened at the festival, Estermount slept as it did every other night. The moon was out and its light spilled onto the stone pavements, its paleness mixing with the jaundice of the street lanterns. What noise did come from Estermount came from the taverns. Perhaps a few jeers and giggles from the brothels in the farther outskirts of town. Other than that, it was quiet, and a red-haired little girl found herself wandering the streets alone with her sobs sounding louder than anything else she could hear.

It had only been a week, but once again she had been left behind. Liseran had promised she would be back, but the days passed and she hadn't. Like her mother, she had lied, and Remi found herself without someone to look forward to. The people at the Havens had been kind, true, but Remi was barely noticed with everyone up in arms about the rebellion on the main road. Remi found herself alone in a bedroom only being given meals now and then and ordered not to leave her room for the time being. It was no different than the very prison her father had been in, in her opinion. That left only one other person she could go to.

"That cat..." she murmured.

When no one was looking (or rather not paying attention), she slipped out. It didn't take much, really. All she had to do was walk with the crowd and keep her cloak on. Now, dressed in nothing but the blue dress Liseran had given her, and a brown burlap shawl, she walked out into the night.

Remi promised herself she wasn't going to cry. And oh how she tried not to. But the more she looked for the cat, the less she found him. The more she walked the streets, the more she remembered that horrible her night her mother was gone. The more she saw the cafes, the more it hurt that Liseran hadn't come back with her promised raspberry tarts and books for bedtime.

Finally, when her feet could no longer walk, and her heart could no longer carry its weight, she sat on the ground near a corner and covered her eyes.

"Why is everyone always gone?" she asked herself.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

The Little Princess [Closed] Empty Re: The Little Princess [Closed]

Post by Grimoire Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:00 am

"Because everyone dies sometime."

The voice came from nowhere without any introduction. In the dead of night the streets were empty with nary a rat to disturb the silence. The little girl found herself alone, surrounded by darkness, the source of the voice remaining unknown. There was a creeping chill as the wind blew lightly, stirring up some fallen, dried leaves. Then a sickly sweet chuckle broke the silence.

"Over here."

The girl's own shadow which laid against the wall, suddenly raised an arm and waved at her.

"Why so glum, little one?"

The shadow spoke with a hollow voice, as if speaking through a tube. It tilted its head in a curious gesture, staring back at the girl. It started to sway, limp and wavering like a banner in the wind.

"You all alone? You scared? What's there to be scared of but the boogeyman, hm? Oh wait, that might be me."

The girl's shadow dipped and disappeared only to stretched against the opposite wall, still facing her.

"Chapter one, the little girl wanders the street in the dead, all alone with nothing but her shadow to keep her company. But then that shadow spoke!"

Then in a burst, the girl's shadow hopped right off the wall, landing with a tap in front of her, a black mass in the shape of her staring back at her, leaning uncomfortably close. Then it hopped, skipped, and twirled like a ballerina, before leaping into the opposite wall and disappearing.

"And now the little girl's own shadow won't keep her company! Oh boo hoo, woo! She thinks to herself she's all alone now. Everybody leaves her."

A trashcan tilts and falls over, spilling out garbage and rotten food with a loud clammer.

"Cause everybody dies sometime~"

Then there was silence. Nothing moved and all remained still. Then there was a chill, like a cold breath breathing down the girl's back. Behind her, the shadow slowly grew, stretching against the wall, once against the perfect silhouette of the girl staring back at her.

"But the shadow gets lonely too."

It started to sway again, shifting and waving in place.

"Even though everybody dies sometime, the shadow won't for a long time."

The shadow tilted its head slightly.

"I can be your friend, says the shadow. Do you wanna be friends? Cause if we're friends, you're never be left alone again~"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Remi gasped in fear upon seeing the shadowy figure. As terrified as she was, her legs refused to move. Her eyes kept fixated on the shadow with its eerie voice, and soon enough it became...her.

"What do you mean be your friend?" Remi said hesitantly.

As young as she was, Remi could tell there was something very wrong going on. Liseran had warned her about Incantus; about Mephis and his tricky ways in trying to persuade her, about other Incantus who would try to do the same. But at the same time, she wasn't able to entirely grasp just how much of a threat they were, only that Liseran didn't want her to associate with them.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:09 am

"We can be friends."

At that last word, the shadow's voice changed, becoming a little girl's, but not Remi. A different little girl.

"Friends stay together forever and ever," the shadow said in a sing-song voice. "And friends do things for each other. Friends help each other."

"Isn't there something you reeeeeaaally want? Don't you want something badly?"

"If you become my friend, then I'll do eeeeverything I can to make your wish come true!"

"So.... what do you say?"

The shadow started to move out the wall, a black hand reaching out from the wall. It reached towards the girl, beckoning her to come to it. Suddenly, a knife jabbed into the wall next to the shadow.

"..... Tsk. You're no fun."

The odd hand retracted back into the wall and slithering downwards, moving across the ground, and disappeared below the feet of a man standing ten feet behind Remi.

Valen pulled down his hood and walked towards the little girl slowly so as not to alarm her.

"Remi? What are you doing here?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 am

Remi stared at the shadow as it laughed and giggled. And then it mentioned the wish. Remi's eyes widened.

"A wish..." she murmured. "Mama...?"

She knew it was wrong. She knew it might have been a trick. But what did she have to lose? Where was there else to go? Liseran was gone. The scary men in uniforms weren't either.

Slowly, Remi's hand reached out for the shadow, but as it did...

shink!

A knife jabbed the wall.

Remi's hand instanrly retreated, and as she whirled around she saw a familiar face.

"Valen!" she cried as she rushed forward.

Without thinking, the girl hugged his legs.

"I was so scared!" she said. "I can't find anyone! Liseran hasn't come back in forever...! Now I have no one..."
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Valen looked down at the girl clinging to him silently, his expression plain and unmoving. Then slowly, he moved his arm up and petted her head softly.

"Calm down. Everything will be fine," he said plainly. "First, you shouldn't be out here by yourself this late. Let's get you back to where you were staying. Do you know where that is?"

His head turned, looking off to the side at the wall of some building where his shadow stretched across.

"And I don't appreciate your mischief," he muttered.

Suddenly, his own shadow shrugged its shoulders and tilted its head without him moving.

"What's life without a little spice?" his shadow chuckled. "Besides, the number of witches dwindle everyday. Gotta do my part to keep the legacy alive."

"Shut up," Valen growled and his shadow went back to being silent.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:30 pm

At the notion of going back, Remi shook her head furiously.

"No! I'm not going back!" she said. "I hate it there! I hate being alone!"

Despite her red face and the mist in her eyes, she looked at Valen with determination.

"Let me go with you!" she said. "At least until Liseran is back! I'll be good. You can even teach me how to fight like you can! You can even teach me magic!"
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:43 am

Valen's shoulders slumped and he let out a sigh.

"Don't be like that..." Valen groaned with a defeated tone. "... We'll talk about this once we find a place out of the streets. Alright?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm

Remi stared hard at the ground, trying to hold back more tears. Her mother had always told her it was impolite to cry in front of people, but that was becoming harder and harder for her to do considering the circumstances. Clenching her fists, she nodded stiffly at Valen's suggestion.

"Okay,"' she said. "But where do we go? I don't think we can go to those inn places...they're too..."

A brief moment of her mother being harassed and teased came to mind. Lots of drunk men. Lots of shouting. Remi being told to stay in the inn room as she "dealt" with things.

"Noisy," she said.

Her eyes lit up, however, as an idea came to mind.

"That place Lise brought us," she said as she tugged on Valen's cape. "No one's there, right? Or better, maybe Lise is there!"
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 am

Valen pinched his chin between his index and thumb and closed his eyes thoughtfully

"I suppose that's fine. Although...."

Valen gave a side glance at his shadow, who raised its hand and waved.

"Ah, yes. I remember the way, Mr. Directionless. You won't have to worry about getting lost."

Valen averted his eyes to the side, coughing into his fist and clearing his throat.

"Right. Let's get going."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 pm