Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

The Legend of...

KitKet
    KitKet

The Legend of... - Page 6 Empty Re: The Legend of...

Post by KitKet Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:15 am

This was started to get scary. Ren stared at the food for a few seconds. She was starting to remember what had went down. She remembered Dorrance touching her face and then...Nothing. Why were the dishes left out though? She had a servant right? Wouldn't she take care of them?

She walked into the kitchen, noticing the unwashed dishes as well. The door to the back was unlocked and ajar. The sound was getting louder too. Ren crossed her arms, a bit out doubt crossing her mind. This was really none of her business. She hadn't been hurt or anything. Yeah she passed out...but she also drank quite a bit. Something didn't add up though...She swallowed hard. "Please just let this be a strange dream." She whispered. For once, she'd hit a massive stroke of luck. She didn't want it to end up turning to ash in front of her.

She took a deep breath walked forwards and closed the door.

Yeah, not this way.

Instead, she rushed back towards the main room once again. She made sure there were no other shadows mucking out before she began to mutter cartic incantations under her breath. Slowly, she wrapped herself in illusion magic and began to fade in with her surroundings. It wasn't a perfect concealing spell and she had to constantly keep it up, but it was something.

With that in mind, she slipped out the window and took another route towards the gardens.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:32 am

Ren was right that the sounds were coming from the garden as the moment she did, the sounds got instantly louder. The idea the sound was a shovel was becoming more and more likely as she would hear the sound of earth being set aside and a hole being dug.

The garden was a calm blue-green in the moonlight. She'd be met with flower beds and willow trees. A topiary and marble benches decorated the area and there was a small creek leading to a fountain and makeshift waterfall. That said, all that was in the opposite direction. The sound was coming from the other side towards the back of the house. It was blocked off by a large hedge wall with a small trellis keeping a portion open for a doorway. The door, too, was ajar, and from here, Ren would see what was going on.

shrk

shrk

SHRK

What she'd first see was sickly gray and pale. An arm, emaciated and bruised. Black ulcers chewing at its flesh and revealing pearly white bone. She'd see a head drawn out and wide-eyed, matted gray hair in straggly strings and bald patches. The face seemed to be in a state of perpetual screaming. The body showed a dirtied noble's dress, but details were hard to make out as it was being partially covered by a figure standing and trying to bury a hole. The figure an outfit consisting of a tattered deep blue frock, brown trousers that hugged its shapely legs and thighs and tucked into heavy boots. On its head, a conical hat, lopsided and pressed atop in a crumpled fashion. But what Ren would particularly notice was the bright green hair, the color of mint, trailing down the figure's back. The figure would stop, and turn to its side as it wiped its brow.

It was Dorrance.

Or rather, what could be presumed to be Dorrance. She lacked the soft and bashful air Ren had known her for. Her eyes, despite being the same soft green, were hard and steely. Her expression was mechanical. She looked at the body without nary an aghast reaction. She'd step to its side. A shining broach on its chest gleamed in the moonlight.

Dorrance stooped down and snatched it, gently putting it into her satchel.

She then continued to dig.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:45 am

Ren's mind reeled at what she was seeing. This...this had to be a dream. She shook her head violently. This didn't make any sense. Her heart caught in her chest as she took in the details before her. She placed her head in her hands trying to figure this all out. There needed to be a reason for it right?

Ren knelt down, quietly taking in the scene. She stayed far enough back, but she needed more information. Dorrance was a good and kind person right? Maybe this person had been...She couldn't think of anything...not now. She'd watch for now, silently. As long as she didn't move around much, there wasn't a high chance of being discovered at any rate.

She'd figure this all out...
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:12 am

Dorrance was about to resume work, but then she'd pause and temporarily look at Ren's direction. She stared at it hard, her eyes limpid and almost in a trance-like state, but deciding there was nothing, she resumed. She had finally finished digging up the grave and slowly rolled the body into the grave.

Eventually, she'd start placing the displaced soil over it. She worked steadily and methodically, suggesting this wasn't her first time doing this. Save for a bit of heavy breathing and the sweat trailing down her face, she didn't seem to be struggling her the task at hand.

In Ren's surprised state, she wouldn't have noticed something creep up behind her. Her faltering had caused the slightest flicker in her illusions and she'd feel two firm hands give her a shove and force her towards the ground.

Whether or not the figure was successful, it would be enough motion to draw Dorrance's attention to where Ren was.

"Who's there?" she said in a low, emotionless voice.

She'd stop digging and furnish from behind her a rusty pickaxe as a weapon. She'd start walking towards where Ren was.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:33 am

Ren's breath left her as she was suddenly shoved forward. She landed on the ground hard, her illusion immediately shattering. She glanced backwards briefly to see if she could see whatever had just shoved her.

Whether or not she was successful, she would look up towards Dorrance. This wasn't good...This wasn't good! Her adrenalin pumped and things seemingly slowed down...She saw the weapon, she saw Dorrance, the hole. She was being led here, the whole time.

heh.

"Lady Dorrance!" Ren would cry out, she'd get up and fling herself forward before Dorrance would have any time to react. Rather than attacking, Ren would embrace her tightly. At the very least, she couldn't swing the pickaxe like this. "Thank the Gods you're alright!" She'd turn slightly, facing herself to the side of the hole. "T-there's something in the mansion!" It was clear that Ren 'hadn't seen' the hole somehow. It seems her attention was focused on the house and Dorrance herself. From the broken lantern on the ground, perhaps Ren had been using the light up till now and couldn't see well in the darkness?

"When I couldn't find you I'd assumed the worst! I had to hide using that spell...I'm so glad you're okay!" She buried herself into Dorrance's neck, she'd feel a bit of moisture from gathering tears in Ren's eyes. She sniffled lightly before pulling away and looking at Dorrance in the eyes. "Whatever it is, it's fast and hides in shadows. I think it could be a corrupted beast." Ren looked absolutely certain. Of course, a peasant girl from Saadedge would believe such noises could be a beast! "I'll keep you safe, I promise!"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:33 am

The moment Ren's illusion failed, Dorrance's grip on her axe slipped. The thing would fall onto the grass behind her in a clunk as she looked at Ren in what could only be described utter horror. Whatever guise of apathy she had earlier just shattered right before Ren's eyes. Her eyes were wide and the blood drained from her face.

No...NO! her voice screamed in her head.

This wasn't supposed to happen. She wasn't supposed to BE here!

She thought about Ren saving her and then being bright and chirpy. She thought about the dinner where Ren had shown her solace. And now she was here and that was all going to be taken away now.

Quickly her shock started to stew into anger. She wanted to scream. She wanted to strike Ren, but before she could even fully process her rage, Ren...embraced her.

The small girl had flung herself over Dorrance in a tight hug sounding panicked and relieved that Dorrance was alright. Almost in an instant, Dorrance's rage dissipated and she retreated into an unsure stupor.

Ren was going on about a shadow in the hallways and how she had been worried about Dorrance. There was a broken lantern on the ground and blood on Ren's hands suggesting she had fallen on her way here. She also couldn't help be note how Ren smelled so nice. There was something about her warmth and skin and clothes that made her smell delightful.

Dorrance blinked. She had to come to her senses.

She's [b]not supposed to be here,[/i] a voice urged in her head.

She hesitantly looked to the back where the body was and she remembered the body was already in the process of being buried. Maybe...maybe Ren didn't see it. That's right, she had tripped on her way here and if she had been in a hurry, that means she had only arrived now. A few moments earlier, she could have seen the body, yes, but that wasn't the case.

As Ren continued to hug her, Dorrance could feel her tears falling on her chest and talking about promising to keep her safe.

Ren felt two firm gloved hands grasp her arms. If Ren looked up, Dorrance's expression was a grave one, but instead of being alarmed, she looked tired.

"A corrupted beast, you say?" she said softly. "Then we must hurry out of here."

That was right. They had to LEAVE. She couldn't afford Ren getting anywhere near the hole.

But...she couldn't leave the hole exposed either.

Dorrance decided that what she needed to do was dispose of Ren. Keep her somewhere, feign leaving, then cover up her tracks.

Whatever the case, she turned Ren away from the site of the hole and would rush away with her.

"I know a place we can hide. I can contact Viola and she can call for help," she said.

She tried to keep her voice gentle enough to sound concerned, but right now Dorrance's main focus was self-preservation.

She would start leading Ren back through the courtyard and towards the front of the manor.

"Repeat from the top what just happened," she said. "What did you see? How did you wake up? Where did you go?"

She was basically rapid-firing questions at this point to Ren.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:52 am

It had worked!

It had actually worked!

Ren, despite her job, gave a serious nod as Dorrance told them that they must leave. She'd done this song and dance before, at least when it came to avoiding a corrupted beast. She sniffled one last time and gathered her strength. They ran, she was next to Dorrance, letting her lead the way towards safety. As ironic as it sounded, the only person she could trust right now was Dorrance.

The maid, Viola could've been the one to try and kill her. An old enemy could've also snuck in. She wasn't sure, regardless she needed more evidence. So far, it would be someone who knew of Dorrance's activities. Viola was at the top of the list.

"Okay." Ren nodded along as Dorrance told her she knew of a place they could hide.

She then started rapid firing questions at Ren. Ren stammered for a moment, clearly trying to calm herself down as she remembered her ordeal. "I..I don't know. I heard something. A strange sound. When I woke up, something rushed by my door. I couldn't find my weapons so I followed after, just hoping it was my imagination." She shook her head with a frown. "I kept hearing these sounds. I don't know what they were and I couldn't really place them. I got to the study and saw the window was open, maybe it had slipped in there?" She paused a moment, looking almost frustrated with herself. "Whatever it was, it may have been sneaking up on me. It bumped against some furniture and when I turned, it dashed out of the room." She was smart enough to know that every good lie had some bits of the truth in it. "After that I started using my magic to hide. I..I couldn't find you so...I thought it might have gotten to you. There's a beast like this in Saadedge, it would sneak up behind people and drag them off. I thought...I thought that might have happened to you s-so..." She swallowed hard, clearly not wanting to continue. "Let's just get you to safety okay? If it is what I think it is, it won't attack us if we're together." After a moment, she let out a small gasp. "What about Viola!? If she's alone right now she could be in real danger!"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:12 am

Dorrance listened quietly as a seemingly very distressed Ren tried to tell her story. It seemed...coherent enough, Dorrance supposed. She didn't seem to hesitate to tell her what happened and even up to when she found Dorrance, she didn't falter in her words. Maybe Dorrance was in the clear after all. Maybe she really HADN'T seen anything.

She visibly started to relax (well relax as much as was reasonably possible for what Ren perceived was a tense situation), and tried to console her.

"I-I see," Dorrance said. "It doesn't help there's been news of Incantii and corrupted beast slipping into and out of the city walls. I never thought they'd be around here."

The two would make it out of the courtyard and past the mansion. An old worker's house was nearby with a phone. She could probably feign going to call to the Expiate to come and take them, go back out, deal with the body, and then suggest to Ren they leave for the night. That sounded like a plan.

The two would walk down the road towards the manor's gate where the wooden worker's cottage was and where Ren would feel safe. It was then that a thought occurred to Dorrance.

If Ren was telling the truth, then the same had to apply about the shadows, right? What if there really WAS someone or something here.

A new form of panic rose inside Dorrance. She wasn't scared of Incantus or corrupted beasts, no. What worried her was that someone who wasn't supposed to be in the house was actually there. And that meant if she didn't hurry back...

Ren instantly mentioned Viola, and everything suddenly fell in place.

"Oh goodness, you're right!" Dorrance exclaimed. "I have to go back for her!"

Of course, she wasn't really. She was going to finish up. However, Viola's whereabouts WERE a concern, they weren't enough for Dorrance to fret over. Viola could take care of herself.

Entering the worker's cottage, she'd gesture for Ren to sit down.

"I'll be right back," she said. "I'll make a call for the Expiate and try to find Viola. I won't be going too deep into the house, so it should be fine. You stay here. There's a first aid kit lying about you can use to fix your hand."
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:26 am

This seemed to be going well enough. Thankfully, Dorrance believed her story. Her next step was figuring out what Dorrance would do next. Would she stay with her? That would be for the best, honestly. She still had the body to deal with though right? She'd want to deal with it, but Ren, realistically wouldn't want her to leave their safe haven.

They entered, and Dorrance exclaimed that she needed to go back for Viola. Actually, she wasn't sure if that was genuine or not. Still, when Dorrance would turn to look at her, she'd notice Ren looking a bit more tired than before. It seemed the stress of actively using illusion magic, coupled with the blood loss was actually effecting her. She could ALSO see that Ren was trying to cover that fact up.

She inhaled, not quite resisting as Dorrance seated her. When she told her that she was leaving, though, Ren reached forward with her good hand. Lightly taking Dorrance's hand. "Please don't go..." There was a pleading look in her eyes. More concern for Dorrance than fear for herself. "I promised to keep you safe...If anything, I can look for her...I'll just cast the spell again and slip into the mansion. She must be in there, right?" The one thing in all of this that even Ren was currently unaware of. The wound on her hand was quite bad actually. It had been bleeding quite freely up to now, despite the pressure she'd been putting on it.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:40 am

Before Dorrance could even head out the door, Ren started to plead for her to stay, urging her it was dangerous and that she wanted to keep her safe.

A part of Dorrance wanted to melt at Ren's words, but the instinct at the back of her head insisted she head to go.

"Miss Ren, I know you mean well, but as the owner of my estate, I cannot simply let Viola in dangerous--"

Ren started to pale and wobble. As Dorrance examined her, the blood from her hand seemed to be getting a little worse and she looked like she was about to faint.

Dorrance resisted the urge to smile.

Instead, she sat Ren down.

"You're still bleeding," she said seriously. "It's not doing you any good. Let me dress it. You should probably drink too to stay hydrated. It's not a good thing for you to be unconscious if we're in danger."

Dorrance rushed to get the first aid kit which consisted of clothes, bandages, a few needles, and potions.

"There's no healing potions, but that's okay," she said calmly. "I can cast a simple healing spell, though it won't account for your blood loss. I'll probably fix you a drink with a bit of salt and sugar to keep your fluids balanced."

There was a way Dorrance spoke about medicine that was rather different from her usual self. She was focused and calm as she spoke, and the image of blood didn't seem to frighten her (though that probably wasn't saying much since she was burying a body, eh?)

Whatever the case, Dorrance summoned a few marks for simple healing. She gestured for Ren to hold out her hand. A pale soothing light would wash over it, and Ren would feel the wounds revert back.

Dorrance then handed her the glass she fixed up.

"You should drink," she said. "I should probably get a glass myself. I hope Viola's alright if we're just here."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:36 pm