Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

The Legend of...

KitKet
    KitKet

The Legend of... - Page 4 Empty Re: The Legend of...

Post by KitKet Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Gods this house was beautiful. Ren couldn't get enough of it. Before, she never really thought much of mansions and the like. She told herself if she came into riches, she'd just retire somewhere on a nice island, sail out every now and then and blow people's mind with a song. Now? Well she might have to get herself a mansion...

Or marry into one if nothing else.

Hmmm...

Oh the maid was talking! Ren nodded along, taking note of the odd delivery. It could just be the whole nobility thing again. Dorrance was odd, that meant her servants would be odd too right? "I'm certainly grateful." Ren chuckled behind her as they entered the dining room. "Why did everyone leave?" She asked idly as she looked around. THAT had to be an interesting story.

After a few seconds, she noticed the maid had pulled out a seat. Ren hurried over and quickly sat down. "Thank you." She smiled at the maid before she began to speak of the meal. Ren tried not to salivate as she was told what she would be eating. More rich people food~ Gods she was so excited! Also WINE! Ah, she probably shouldn't get too drunk in front of Lady Dorrance though..."I don't really have any preferences...aside fro-" Oh that was an improper joke. "Actually, what is the responsibility of the noble caste here in Saoirse. I'm often told its distinctly different than Saadedge." Not like she'd KNOW but she WAS curious about what nobles got up to in their spare time.

She ASSUMED they would just lie around all day....being rich.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:28 am

When Ren asked about why everyone left, the maid paused for a moment, staring intensely in the distance. She then smiled and looked back at Ren.

"Disloyalty," she said plainly. "They felt no need to stay with Lady Marlon simply because Lord Marlon was gone. It was cruel and unforgivable. They received their just desserts."

Ren then asked about the nobles, which the maid nodded promptly to.

"Ah, yes. I suppose being from Saadedge, you are not familiar with the Saoirsian government," she said. "The lords come from noble houses who have served or related to the royal family. Each won considerable parts of land and depending on the house's members, one lord or lady will serve as governor of a certain hold. For instance, while the Marlon estate is here in the main city, Lady Dorrance's brother-in-law governs a portion of the countryside. He manages the land, its infrastructure, and collects taxes of the people who work there.

"Aside from governing, certain lords and ladies are part of the royal court. Lady Dorrance herself is a distant relative of one of the Duchesses here in Saoirse, albeit her connections have been estranged since her husband passed away. Lady Dorrance keeps to herself.

"Nobles often engage in politics and socializing, some engage in business. You need not worry about them too much. Just be a pretty face and they will love you."

As she finished, Ren would hear footfalls at the doorway. Dorrance appeared, wearing her a caplet and bonnet over her dress. Upon seeing her, the maid bowed.

"Lady Dorrance. Apologies. I was attending to Miss Ren," the maid said. "Allow me to get your belongings."

Dorrance waved a hand dismissively. If Ren paid close attention, Dorrance looked a little out of breath. Her chest heaved and she couldn't seem to speak as she was catching air.

Once Dorrance's outer attire was removed, she was seated at the end of the table next to Ren.

"Miss Ren," Dorrance greeted, wearing a delighted smile as she sat down. "Apologies for arriving so late. Has the staff treated you well while I was gone?"
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:34 am

Ren's eyebrow arched at the 'just desserts' comment, but the maid had moved on before she could ask any questions. She nodded along, taking in the information. It was good to know about things like these. She needed to learn about the business end if she wanted to be a successful bard.

She couldn't help but smile at her last comment. It was a little demeaning but..."Well, I'm really good at being pretty." She clasped her hands together demurely and let out a short laugh.

Suddenly, Dorrance.

Ren perked up quite a bit when she entered. She liked speaking with this odd noble girl. The mansion itself brought several questions with it. "Thank you for the company!" She gave a small wave as the maid hurried off. She finally settled in, taking note of Dorrance's windedness. "Are you alright dov-er Lady Dorrance?" Ren tilted her head, a worried and confused expression taking her features.

She was a little surprised that Dorrance had chosen to sit so close to her, but honestly Ren didn't mind. She was doing well if Dorrance fancied her enough to be so close at such a large table! "Tis fine! I understand being a part of the nobility means you can get quite busy. You'll find no complaints from me my Lady." She beamed at the woman. "And yes! Your servant was very helpful. Informed me a bit of the politics here in Saoirse. I fear it's not quite the same as Saadedge's" She gave an almost embarrassed smile.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Dorrance couldn't help but smile in return to Ren's sheepish one.

"Well, yes, it is quite different," Dorrance said. "I hear that Saadedge is filled with a lot more merry-making than can be found here.You'll have to forgive everyone in advance as I have noticed that we Saoirsians can be a little too uptight for our own good."

At this, she gave off a bright little laugh.

As the two were talking, the maid had left them to fetch dinner and, along with the sendings, she served the antipasto and followed up with the main course. Dorrance would give her a polite nod and start with the soup. However, she seemed more fixated with talking to Ren.

"I suppose we should continue where we left off earlier with regards to how much you would want to receive for your performances," she said. "What did you say was your usual rate again? 1000? 2000 denars?"
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:38 pm

"That is true of Saadedge." Ren laughed and grinned. Not a day went by where she wasn't attending some kind of party. "Well it's a good thing I'm here then hmm? I tend to bring merriment wherever I go."

As the food was lined up, Dorrance would clearly see Ren's eyes shine. Rich people foooooooooood!!!! Whens he got the go ahead, she started with the soup. Of course, she nearly choked when Dorrance mentioned her 'usual rate.' She coughed hard, covering her mouth and turning away for a moment. "Ahm...S-sorry about that." Holy shit. She briefly considered her options. She tended to try to upsell herself, but holy shit. She couldn't be the type of bard that charges so much! Those assholes got good work, sure, but a lot of people never got to attend their shows! She wasn't JUST going to play for the rich! She just wasn't that type of performer.

"You're already providing me with food and lodging. I'd say 1,000 denars is far more than enough." She waved her hand with another embarrassed smile. "You're far too kind, Lady Dorrance."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Ren's surprised reaction caused Dorrance to tilt her head curiously.

"You mean..that's not your usual rate?" she said. "But that's standard here for the typical party, and since this will be a very special event, I dare say I should be paying you moreso. It'll be a night-long affair, after all, and I want to make sure you're paid fairly."

Then, coming to a conclusion, she bobbed her head. "Three thousand should do," she said decisively. "Yes, it should do well, though I'm more than happy to negotiate."

She then took note of Ren's comment on how Dorrance was already providing for her food and lodging, to which Dorrance smiled warmly.

"Oh, Miss Ren, think nothing of it," she said. And then, looking to the side slightly with a blush upon her face, "That's merely what I owe you for saving my life. Just think of it as a friend extending a gracious hand. Money's not a matter of it in the least."

She then cleared her throat and proceeded back to eating.

"So, erm, Miss Ren," she then said trying to regain her composure. "Why not we focus on getting to know each other? What can you tell me about life in Saadedge? I've never been there myself, so I'm quite interested in hearing about how things are there."

As she said this, the maid would reappear carrying wine in an ice bucket.

"Your wine, milady," the maid said.

"Ah, thank you, Viola," Dorrance replied.

The maid would hover first over Dorrance, pouring the deep red liquid into the crystal glass before proceeding to do the same for Ren.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Ren idly scratched her cheek, if Dorrance looked closely, she could begin to see the barest hints of a blush. "Ahah, well to be honest I enjoyed playing for the common folk in Saadedge. They always seemed the happiest with my performances." Plus they'd buy her drinks. "If I charge too much, then they can't see me anymore, so I try not to get into that habit."

"Umm...L-lady Dorrance you're FAR too kind." She spoke again, getting more than a bit flustered. She felt like she was robbing her at this point. Luckily for Ren's sanity, Dorrance gave a blush of her own. It gave her a chance to calm herself down. She simply smiled. "I'd like to think anyone would've done the same." After another sweet smile, the conversation quickly moved on.

She ate a little bit more as Tala asked her to speak of Saadedge. God...this was so good. She wished she was rich already so she could eat like this every day. "Well, if you can look past the heat, it's quite a beautiful land." She stared down at her food as she spoke, seemingly reminiscing. "It can be quite dangerous. There's a lot of incantus and corrupted beasts. Pretty much everyone knows how to fight as well. I myself, learned when I was pretty young." She hesitated a second, unsure if she should go on. She didnt...really talk about her past much. Then again, no one really asked. Plus, Dorrance was doing so much for her...

"I was actually born a peasant. My mother died shortly after I was born and my father grew really sick. I ah, actually started down my past as a bard because of all that. There was a lot of stories he had. He ended up not being able to tell any. I decided that I wouldn't let that happen with me."

"Ah..but my time in Saadedge wasn't all depressing! L-like I said it's beautiful there despite that! I made a fair living and quickly made a name for myself!If you are willing to work, you can get by." She nodded sagely, quickly trying to move on from herself. "But...It can be dangerous, if you go. I'd hire some guards and a local guide."

And then the wine came!

Ren eyes shone as she was poured a glass. Rich people wine! "W-what about you, Lady Dorrance. I know a bit about Saoirse now, but hardly anything about you." When she finished her sentence, she took a sip of the wine.

!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

"This is...really good!" She muttered, trying to do her best to not drink too much too fast.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Ren would notice the shifts in Dorrance's expressions as she told her story. As Ren painted pictures of the delight of the desert lands, she seemed to smile, but when she discussed the loss of her mother and father, her face saddened.

"Miss Ren, I'm so sorry to hear about your parents," she said emphatically. "I lost my mother when I was quite young, but I never really remembered it. It must be different when you've grown up with a parent and then lose them. That said, it's admirable how you were able to persevere and remain your cheery self despite all that harshness."

She then smiled at Ren admirably, her eyes staring...a little too hard at her.

"You know...such traits are things one would envy--to not become cruel after being shown cruelty."

Whatever the case, Dorrance's expression would return to normal and then...towards a look of surprise as she realized how much Ren was drinking.

"O-oh...yes, it really is nice wine," she said sheepishly. "It's made from the igot berries in Eisleyn. They give a really sweet and acidic taste."

"Blood berries is another term," the maid said.

"Ah, yes. That's correct. Why is that again? Because of their color?"

"Well," the maid said thoughtfully (thoughtfully being an exaggeration). "Igot berries start off as white, much like mistletoe berries. However, the plants are said to turn red when they feed on the nutrients of dead corpses of animals...or others. 'Soaking up their blood', was the term. It was a popular myth during the time of the Eisen queen and king's death. Of course, the real reason is most likely a natural pigmentation. Much like how individuals wear darker colors in the snow, the berries may simply be trying to use their darker hue to absorb more light and thus gain more food and warmth."

"That is quite interesting," she said. "You're always so knowledgeable, Viola."

"If you two are done with dinner, I may go and fetch dessert if you'd like. Perhaps Miss Ren would like more wine, too?"

"I-I don't think that's a good--"

Viola was already pouring even more wine into her glass.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Ren had a hard time meeting Dorrance's eye as she gave her condolences. It's not something she enjoyed talking about. "Thank you for your kind words, Lady Dorrance." She gave a smile and took another sip of her wine- oh wow it was almost empty. Ren looked up, just in time to see Dorrance's hard stare. Her eyes quickly went right back down. Honestly, she wasn't quite feeling like herself today. She didn't quite know how to act around nobility and it really showed. Before it had been easier, in the alley at least. Now...she was sitting in this woman's mansion, eating her food and drinking her wine.

Was she in over her head here?

"The way I see it, the world is naturally cruel. Tis why such horrid things happen. I like to go against the grain,so...I suppose it's my nature to be cheery." Another sip. "If everyone saw that, the world might be a better place."

Ren's eyebrows arched just a bit as Dorrance she mentioned that the berries used to make the wine were from Eisleyn. "I thought trade with Eisleyn was pretty much nonexistent?" Though, they might have stores of the stuff. Wine tended to last awhile after all. Her head tilted as Viola told the stories of the 'blood berries'. She finished off the last of her cup just as the woman finished. "Quite a grim myth no?" She laughed to herself briefly. "I'll never understand humanities' penchant for grim storytelling." She nodded happily as she was asked if she'd like more. She leaned on the table, propping her head up with her hand as she swirled her now full cup. "Most fairytales tend to have tragic endings, did you know that? They seem to exist to teach lessons rather than to entertain. Listen to your parents, don't trust strangers, resist honeyed words. Things like that." She finally took another sip and laughed to herself. "My apologies, I may have gotten carried away." She quickly sat back at attention, clearing her throat as she turned back towards Dorrance.

"That being said, I'd love to hear more about you, Lady Dorrance." She'd dodged her question the first time, but she didn't want to do all the talking here!
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:45 pm

"Our wines date more than twenty years back more or less," the maid said in order to assuage Ren's question. "So we were fortunate to still have stores of these before trade came to a halt."

Meanwhile, Dorrance listened intently on the reason for Ren's cheeriness as well as her thoughts on fairy tales being a tad too grim. The lady nodded, listening eagerly to Ren's argument, and when Ren apologized for going on a tangent, she shook her head politely.

"O-oh, please I enjoyed hearing it," she said. "I think in a way you're right. People have become so keen to warn and invoke lessons that storytelling becomes less of an art form and more of a manipulative device. I suppose I can understand their reasons--survival and whatnot before, but it's odd that we haven't truly evolved from such instincts when people can live slightly better lives. I'm sure you'd have far more entertaining tales to tell during your shows."

Ren then asked to know about Dorrance, to which the girl instantly reverted to blushing and being timid. Her hands clasped together and she stammered for a bit.

"O-oh, me, right!" she said. "W-well, my father was a noble, a distant relative to a countess near Ieness. Despite being wealthy, he took up to his studies and became a doctor. My mother, as I mentioned, had passed away and so I spent much of my time beside my father and learning about medicine. While I never took a formal education, my father taught me a lot about it through books and during practice. He'd even teach me how to heal and brew remedies for illnesses."

A melancholic smile fell on Dorrance's face.

"He was a very smart man until his death," she said. "Of course, he died of natural causes. Being much older than my young mother, he was already in his elder years by the time I got married. He died peacefully a little after I was married. I like to think of it as him being able to rest knowing I was with my husband. Ironic, considering my husband died a little while after."

She let out a soft, albeit sad chuckle.

"Since then, I've spent most of my time alone," she said. "Most of my friends are too distant from me as they are either in Aldmerrow or married off in Stahlmin. I like to occupy my time with arts and strolling around the town, hence why I saw you at the inn."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:03 pm