Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

The Little Princess [Closed]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The Little Princess [Closed] - Page 5 Empty Re: The Little Princess [Closed]

Post by Lilac Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 am

Noticing Valen and Fable hiding, Mayari followed suit, hiding into a puff of smoke that resided in the wicks of the chandelier above.

Valen would hear a firm knock on the door.

"Hello?" the man's voice would call out raspy. "Claudia, are you home?"

For some reason, Rory hadn't heard the commotion yet. The door knocked again.

"Claudia?" he asked. "Are you in the kitchen? If so, I'll let myself in."

He'd knock a few more times, hoping someone would answer, but if he didn't he was going to open the door and no doubt explore more.

Last edited by Lilac on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:53 am

Valen's brow twitched. He had to act quick now or things could get messy. He darted in front of the door, tugging his coat and cleared his throat. He calmly and slowly opened the door, keeping a calm face.

"Hello sir?" Valen greeted nonchalantly, his eyes half-lidded and his hair as messy as usual. "I'm sorry, do you know the person who lives here?"

Valen calmly opened the door a little wider, scratching the back of his head with a disgruntled expression.

"Sorry, this must seem weird," Valen stated. "I'm a traveler from Eisyln. The lady here offered to let me stay here for the night."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:55 pm

When Valen opened the door, the man's face wouldn't be one of surprise, but disappointment.

"Ah...I see..." he said disappointedly. "I knew she sometimes rents out her cabin to travelers, but I didn't expect today to be one of them "

The man's face fell, but he didn't make any motion to leave. Instead, he lingered a bit, barely glancing at Valen. He toyed with the bouquet in his hand. He cleared his throat.

"Erm..." the man tugged at his collar and offered Valen a sheepish smile. "I just came from the graveyard but it was locked up so I was going to head home. Midway though, I saw the house and was hoping Claudia might let me stay for the night. Home is..."

The man scratched his face and sighed.

"Home isn't where I want to be right now," he murmured. "Do you at least know when she'll be back?"

Footsteps would be heard and Valen would see Rory on the upper balcony. Upon seeing Valen at the door, she clasped her mouth and hid behind a wall. She made shooing gestures.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:56 am

Valen gave a wry look over his shoulder and grimaced as he contemplated what to do next.

"Ah, sorry. I don't really know," Valen answered. "I'd offer to let you in but it's not my house afterall."

Valen looked off to the side, processing in his mind what to do next.

"Tell me sir, how exactly do you know the lady of this house?" Valen asked. "Oh, actually I should probably ask what your name is. My apologies."

Valen fumbled his mannerisms purposefully. It was a trick he used to make himself seem less and less suspicious by appearing simple-minded.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:21 am

The man didn't seem to take any suspicion to Valen. If anything, he seemed rather embarrassed to be inconveniencing him...and yet he lingered as if wanting to learn something.

"Oh, Richard Veiller," he said, giving a small bow. "As for Claudia, she was a colleague of mine. She and...my wife were close friends before."

There was a palpable hesitance when he said 'wife', as if saying the word were taboo. In addition to saying 'were' made it also more questionable. His face seemed only to sadden.

"We used to drop by here when my wife and I went on picnics," he explained. "It's been awhile since my last visit but I thought a talk would be nice. Guess that won't happen now, though."

The man tugged at his collar, seeming uneasy. He started coughing and clearing his throat.

"I'm sorry to ask, especially this late at night...but is it alright if I come in for some water. The walk's been a little strainful for me. I know it's a lot to ask, but..."

The man glanced at the pathway ahead. He lowered his face humbly.

"It's just been...really, err...a little challenging."

His voice cracked as he spoke. There was a sincere feeling of defeat in his voice, as if he needed this one thing just to move on ahead.

If Valen looked at the balcony, Rory was gone, the door closed behind her.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:34 am

Valen stared at the man with half-lidded eyes, patiently listening to his story. He glance over his shoulder to check on Rory to see her finding shelter. Wait, why does the name Richard Veiler strike something in the back of his mind? Was he posted in Eislyn at some point? This was bothersome. Why did this had to happen? Valen wished this story didn't have to have such a conveniently timed obstacle.

Well for now...

"Well..." Valen drawled. "I still probably shouldn't so..."

Then, he stepped threw the doorway, shutting the door behind him. "If you'd like, I know a tavern that stays open throughout the night close by."

He had a feeling he shouldn't let this man in the house no matter what. He also needed to get this debacle away from Remi while the situation is still controllable.

"You look like... you could use an ear to listen yo," Valen reasoned. He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out the withering leatherbound book. "I also like to collect stories, see. I'll treat you for the night if you'll allow me, good sir."

People get suspicious when a stranger does something nice asking for nothing in return. This way, Valen established his intention.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 am

At both Valen's refusal to let him in as well as his offer to buy him a drink, the man offered a weak smile.

"Claudia is fortunate to have such stalwart guests," he said. I suppose I'd have been more wary in the longrun if you had let a stranger in. That said...I'll take your offer. Anything to stall me from going home."

Rory would peer out again, seemingly able to hear the conversation.

Her eyes glared at Valen as if asking him to not push through, but, upon glancing back at Rory realized what he was trying to do and nodded.

The man named Richard would step out of the way to let him pass through the door and would wait for him to take the lead.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 am

"Well then... Let us go," Valen stated, moving forward while pushing back his thoughts of just wanting to go back to sleep.

~~~

The Sleepless Tavern was apt to its namesake. They say the original owner wanted to create a place for travellers who arrived to town far late into the night a place to recover from their fatigue. This tavern has its working hours within the dead hours of the night for just that. He did that much to a degree, however the general clientele ended up being late night drunkards and the like.

Valen brought a pair of tankards to the table, setting them down and seating himself.

"So..." Valen started. "Troubles at home?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 am

Richard did a double-take on the place. He supposed most taverns in general had a seedy air about them, but he had to admit it had been awhile since he had been to such a place.

Valen offered him a tankard, but instead of drinking it, Richard stared at it absently.

"Hm?" he murmured distractedly. He shook his head to bring him back to his senses. "Oh...in a sense, yes."

He let out a long sigh, tracing his finger along the rim of the tankard as his other hand propped his tilting head.

"My daughter's been...very difficult as of late," he said. "We've never been that close--not after her mother left. I find it hard to face her sometimes."

He shifted positions, hunching over the mead. An indescribable sorry riddled his face.

"Every time I see her...I can't help but just see the...contempt in her eyes. Like she blames me for what happened to her mother. Not that I blame her...

Richard then straightened up and suddenly downed the entite mug, golden liquid streaming down the edge of his oips and staining his shirt as he did. He slammed it down. He face started to tinge pink, but his eyes were lucid.

"I'm a despicable man." he said bitterly.

He then turned to Valen.

"What about you?" he asked. "Traveling this far you must not have that much of a home to look forward to, eh, Mister....I'm sorry what was your name again?"

Last edited by Lilac on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 pm

"Oi! Take it easy!" Valen exclaimed as Richard suddenly towned the whole tankard in one swig. Valen had a wryly look but he nudged his mug towards Richard and crossed his hands patiently.

"... Jack," he stated plainly, using the name of someone he met when he left the town over a week ago. "I suppose not. I had never married or had kids. I do have siblings but we have been estranged since our folks passed on."

Valen glanced off to the side hesitantly before continuing.

"So I may not know your situation personally," Valen stated, "But if I may comment from my perspective...

"If I may present you with a query, from your perspective, would you consider yourself at fault for your wife leaving?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:40 am