Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]  - Page 4 Empty Re: Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]

Post by Lilac Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:28 pm

The girl's face scrunched up after hearing Fable's harsh words, but she held back a cry.

"Mommy..." she murmured.

She pushed herself away from Valen and tried to make a small smile.

"I should get us food," she said.

The little girl in her long straight dress moved into the kitchen for a moment. Valen would hear her going about with plates and whatnot, but also quietly sobbing.

If Valen listened, he'd hear something else, too. Outside the window, one could hear branches snapping and something rustling in the grass and leaves. A figure was moving about on all-fours but it would quickly vanish afterwards.

Remi would come back with a plate of franks, cheese, breads and rolls.

"They're a little cold," she said. "There's nowhere to warm them up. Can you do magic on it?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Valen nearly bolted up when he heard the suspicious sounds but relaxed as Remi came out of the kitchen on her own. He scratched the back of his head awkwardly before picking up a slice of bread and a wedge of cheese.

"I'm sad to say I can't do that," he said as he bit into the bread along with a chunk of cheese. "My magic does not orientate around heat or creating flames."

"Sad, ain't it? Fact of the matter is that everyone is born with a unique attunement. Unlike that carta jazz everyone is using nowadays, you can't control what you know how to do."

Valen shot Fable an evil eye before turning back to Remi.

"Hey, we'll do everything we can to help you," Valen stated. "Can you trust me?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Remi nodded and tried to smile wider. She picked up a piece of bread and was ready to eat it.

"I trust you," she said before biting into the bread.

The hours would pass with not much going on. Remi was sitting in an arm chair. Her lids were slowly closing and her head nodding off. Eventually, she fell asleep against a small throw pillow.

The girl slept peacefully enough and was not at all disturbed when the door to the cabin opened.

Liseran had returned and put down her hood, but her face was pale and her motions stiff. She glanced at Remi who was asleep and then at Valen.

"You experienced no trouble?" she asked quietly.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 pm

".... For now," Valen answered vaguely. "... What did you learn?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Liseran frowned.

"I didn't get any direct information," she said. "But as I was walking out, two Expiate officers were complaining the woman they were interrogating ran off. Apparently she's capable of using Cantus. If that's Remi's mother, there's no doubt she's looking for the little girl now."

Liseran sighed and crossed her arms.

"The poor thing," she said. "I can only hope the woman didn't get caught. If she did, she'd be sent to jail. Our only hope is to wait."

Liseran moved over to the table and sat down. She undid her cloak and revealed she wore a bandolier across her mage's dress. Two bells were clasped on it upside down.

"I have a few good people who can take care of Remi while I find out more," she said. "There's a Walpurgis community that I trust will take good care of her in the meantime. She'll have food, shelter and will be away from Mephis' eyes. That said, I hope it does not become a permanent settlement. I'd like to get her back to her mother. She must be so scared."

Liseran stood up again and moved over to Valen.

"So I can handle things from here. I know you have business of your own. You need not worry about her."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Right... I should get going..."

Valen stood up slowly and there was no sign of Fable in the room as far as the naked eye could tell.

"It's a big city so it'll take me time to find this woman. Are there any good hideaways she may be?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Liseran nodded.

"It's very likely she'll be somewhere," she said. "There are Havens throughout the city. You should get a feel for them. They basically just use glamours. Um...I should draw you a map of them."

Liseran rushed towards the counter and hurriedly got a piece of parchment, but knocked over several bottles as she did. She squeaked, worrying she might have woken up the girl, but Remi was still laying there peacefully. She sighed in relief, got ready to dip a quill in ink only to have a potion bottle tip over and spill, causing a large POOF in her face and a cloud of blue smoke.

"Ack!" she squeaked as she stepped back.

As Liseran covered her eyes, her feet got tangled in her cloak and tripped backward, making her scream and fall down.

"O-ow..." she murmured as she lay on the ground.

As she opened her eyes, she noticed a series of bottles and vials rolling down towards her.

"N-no, no, stop!" she squeaked.

The potions fell. Cartic runes flew into the air and caused several bright lights, more smoke and even fireworks. The colors and smoke aside, Liseran's face was covered in colorful soot and her hair electrified. She coughed.

"W-why...me...?" she murmured.

Now, that had all been enough noise to wake Remi up. Her eyes slowly opened and she straightened upon seeing Liseran.

"She's back!" she said in surprise. "Um...what happened?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"The world's greatest clutz," Valen deadpanned as he watched everything go off at once. "Well, at least you're acting your age. I was getting worried how formal a kid like you was acting."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Liseran was still coughing as she tried to get up and she scowled at Valen.

"I *cough* am not a child!" she said indignantly as she got up.

Remi tried to suppress a giggle and failed.

"You look like someone painted you," she said.

Liseran's cheeks burned and she looked at her feet.

"I *cough* was just out of sorts," she said as she stiffly moved towards the table.

Now that all the bottles were spilled she could move freely and she proceeded to draw a sketch of the city. Her hair was basically still standing up like a frightened cat's tail as she stooped over.

"There are *cough* three here," she said. "One under the cathedral. It's entrance is between two gargoyles on a blank wall. One between a square of houses in the market and one *cough* that channels under the main road."

She moved to Valen and pouted, slapping the piece of parchment across his chest.

"The puzzles are easy enough to understand, *cough*," she said. "If you need to find me, just come back here. The person who really lives here can tell you of my whereabouts and where Remi is going to be for the meantime."

Remi got off from her chair.

"What do you mean...for the meantime?" Remi asked.

Liseran frowned and looked at Remi empathically. She stooped down and touched the girl's shoulder, so far the only real act of affection she'd shown the entire time.

"I'm sorry, but we don't know where your mother is right now yet," she said softly. "But...I do know she's not in harm's way as of the moment. In fact, she could very well be searching for you right now."

Remi's face lit up. "You...you mean it?"

Liseran nodded. She looked at Remi seriously.

"But we have to be careful," she said firmly. "Bad people might be after her. I want the two of you to meet where you'll be safe from Mephis. Your...err...friend over there will do his best, too."

Liseran frowned and turned towards Valen with a jerk of the head.

"So don't worry, alright?"

Remi nodded. "Okay," she said. "Thank you, miss."

Despite herself, Remi wrapped her arms around Liseran tightly, making the young woman squeak and stand stiffly in surprise. Her face blushed and she didn't seem to know how to react, but her expression finally softened and she held the little one in return.

"It's alright. I'm sure your mother's fine," she said stiffly.

Remi let go of Liseran and moved over to Valen looking hopeful for once. She smiled.

"We'll be waiting for you, okay, Mister?" she said. "If you find Mommy, please tell her I love her, okay?"

Liseran was watching with her arms crossed. Her soot covered face still showing wariness towards Valen.

"I'm going to need a name, though," she said pouting. "Havens are strict about who they let in. I need to know so I can have you permitted and so they'll know who to tell where my location is."

Liseran sneezed and covered her nose with her red-tainted handkerchief, which only made her nose a bright purple.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:30 pm

".... Valen," he answered plainly. "Valen Moroqueth."

He tipped a hat he wasn't wearing and walked off.

"I'll trust you to watch over the girl. I'll work hard on my end."

Pulling his coat tighter around him, he started walking off muttering under his breath "So much for enjoying the festival."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content