Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

House of Memories [Closed]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

House of Memories [Closed] - Page 14 Empty Re: House of Memories [Closed]

Post by Lilac Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:53 pm

As the turned servant writhed on the floor, Liseran tried to approach them, bell in hand.

"P-please hold on," Liseran said shakily as she tried to prepare some sort of spell.

However, as she did, the rock impaled in the woman's torso glowed blue and just as she approached, a bright light flashed. Liseran yelped, shielding her eyes, and when she opened them, her blood ran cold.

No...

Not again...

NO!

From where they were, Valen and Travis would see what had happened to the servant. The body had been completely charred to black, the servant's face fixed in what could only be described as sheer horror and agony. Liseran reached out, as if in denial at what was in front of her. Just as she did, the charred figure crumbled into dust.

"N...no..."

"Once purging has begun, the unholy cannot be saved," the boy said in a low voice. He stared straight at Liseran, frowning.

Liseran's knees wobbled and she dropped to the ground in front of the ash trembling. The boy stared at her with no affect, and then glanced at the bell in her hand.

"I know that weapon," he said. And then squinting at her, "So this is where you've run off, to eh? Being a fool and trying to save those who cannot be saved..."

The boy clucked his tongue.

"How typical of someone like you."

He raised a gloved hand and extended it.

"Now be a good girl and stay out of this. Your father's worried about you."

Liseran didn't budge where she was.

Travis gritted his teeth at the outcome. Everything had happened so fast that he hadn't had the time to respond to Valen. Now, that things had slowed down, though...

"I'm going to cause a distraction," he said. "Get the idiot out of there. We'll make a run for it."

"If you think I can't see you two over there, you're very wrong," the boy called out, not even turning his head towards them.

Travis froze.

The boy lazily glanced at their direction. He raised one hand that had a diamond similar to what Liseran had used to detect the monster from earlier. Two dots glowed on it like a sort of map.

"I have Detect Life present at all times," he said. "Now, come out here with your hands up."

"Crap," Travis said under his breath.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Valen's fist clenched and his lips persed, but he watched the exchange silently. When the boy called out to them, his eyes widen but he closed them and breathed out slowly. He reached inside his vest and quietly pulled out a pocket watch, clicking the lid open.

"Follow my lead," Valen whispered quietly. As he did, he pressed his thumb against the inside of the lid and it snapped off, then he punched the watch in his hand, smashing the glass. He pocketed the watch and chain and stepped forward calmly and confidently.

"Détendez-vous s'il vous plaît." Valen said out loud the moment he'd come into view, raising his hands up to eye level to show he's unarmed but quickly lowering them and crossing his hands behind his back with a straight posture. "Ah, par'don. I said 'Please relax'."

He moved a hand to push his glasses up, keeping eye-contact with the boy.

"Sorry for my earlier ruse. I did not realize you were an officer," Valen continued. "Par'don. I did not mean to sneak around. Allow me to explain, s'il vous plait," Valen went on, slipping into Saoirsian randomly. "As you may know, a certain series of strange incidents happened in Saoirse about a month or so ago. An incident involving strange creatures of the night. I'm sure you're familiar?"

Valen glanced at the smoldering spot where the servant used to be before focusing back on the boy.

"My name is Ser Gilles. I am with the Knights of the Fleur," Valen stated. "Here is my order's crest. The Fleur de-"

Valen stopped and gasped in surprised as he pulled out of his vest a broken watch, a tiny gear falling out of it. "Sacre' Bleau! My crest! When did it get smashed??"

Valen suddenly looked at the boy and clenched his fist.

"Ah! When you pushed me! My captain is going to kill me!" Valen exclaimed, slapping a hand over his eyes in dramatic display. "These watches are crafted special to ensure no one can pose as a false knight! Aaaah, the paperwork I'll have to to do..."

Valen breathed in deeply through his nose as if calming himself and pocketing his busted watch.

"A matter for later," Valen continued, raising a hand in apology. "We had heard about certain events here in Aldemarrow. I was sent here with discretion to investigate. However, sending agents over borders without proper word can be rather... problematic. I'm sure you understand that I would prefer you to stay quiet about this."

Valen straightened his vest and adjusted his gloves.

"Ah, the man behind me is my guide. I had heard he was an accomplished tracker," Valen stated as if just remembering. "Now, on to the matter. I would like it if you can share what you know about these odd... things."

Valen said that last word with a hint of disgust, grimacing as he glanced at the ashen spot with a dismissive sniff. Then he looked at Liseran and quirked an eyebrow as if only just noticing her.

"Oh, I don't know what the lady is here for, but perhaps it's best if she's left out of this? Can't let random civilians get involved afterall."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:09 am

Travis withheld himself from giving Valen a wild look of disbelief as the wanderer put on his facade. The boy, meanwhile, narrowed his eyes.

"What is a Knight of the Fleur doing all the way here?" the boy demanded in a low tone. "It is very irregular that the Royal Crest send investigative bodies here without the knowledge of the Expiate. Surely, master would be displeased to learn of this. You are definitely right that things are 'problematic' if you are here."

Holy hell, is he buying it? Travis thought to himself. Liseran, meanwhile, stayed frozen in place. She looked like she hadn't even fully registered them yet. Instead, she was still staring at the ashes on the ground.

When Valen mentioned Liseran, the boy frowned.

"She is none of your concern," he said. "She is under custody for purposes of the Expiate's discretion. She stays. That said..."

The boy's eyes stared hard at Valen.

"I am not at liberty to discuss my findings with you," he said. "If you want information, you should head to the Expiate premise here in town. But, before you go, I do have one favor to ask of you. It is just me doing my job."

The boy blinked and raised a hand as Cartic marks started to form between his fingers.

"Since it is past curfew, I have no choice but to scan you two for Cantic activity," he said. "So please hold still."

Liseran's head perked up as the boy mentioned Cantic activity. Quickly, she grabbed her bell and tried to ring it. Without hesitation, the boy flung one hand. A large spike appeared, knocking it out of Liseran's hand. Just an inch more and it could have impaled her hand instead.

"Oh. I guess I should bind you first," he said. He was about to conjure a few more marks when he stopped. His head turned.

"That sound..."

If Valen listened, he'd hear nothing out of the ordinary.

"That ungodly sound is here..." he said.

The boy's hand would create more marks, but this time casting a white diamond that quickly turned black.

"Both of you leave now," the boy demanded. "Miss Veiller, stay put and right behind me."

A glyph appeared underneath Liseran before shrinking and wrapping around her hands.

In the distance of the fog, another bright white cloak appeared alongside another figure limping beside it. The group would hear something wet smacking its lips and the dripping of blood. As the figures got closer, they'd see the cloaked one was holding a servant. Or at least...what was a servant. The body of the servant had been hollowed out and was bloody, and its limbs were distorted and twisted as if it had suffered serious struggle.

The boy was still waiting for Travis and Valen to make their exit as he stared at them.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:21 pm

"Curfew? I wasn't even aware there was one," Valen stated, pushing his glasses. "No such thing as curfew for a traveler. But by all means."

Valen didn't seem to falter or lose the confidence his posture. Sure, it looked like he was about to be outed, that he and Travis were about to have a disadvantageous square-off against the Expiate. But around now, usually some happenstance event would occur that would interrupt every-

"That ungodly sound is here..."

And there it is.

Valen turn and had a scrutinizing expression towards the distance. Fog rolled in and figures made themselves known. Perhaps a curfew was a good idea afterall.

"I appreciate the noble attitude," Valen huffed with a wave of his hand, "But I am no simple citizen. I am a knight of Saoirse and it would reflect badly on my order for me to leave such creatures to you alone."

Valen half-turned towards Travis, extending a hand.

"Mr. Tracker, please hand me my crossbow and make yourself discrete," Valen commanded, emphasizing that last word, making two subtle glances at Liseran. "Once you grab what we need I'll meet you at the inn with the other two."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:04 am

The boy stared emptily at Valen as he replied. He clucked his tongue again.

"Che. Just don't get in my way," he said.

Meanwhile, Travis instantly understood what he had to do and handed his crossbow over to Valen. Liseran had also picked up what he said, straightening up as she heard it. Still, she seemed pretty fixed in place.

As the figure drew closer, it paused just a few yards away. The group would be able to hear the sound of sniffing followed by a sneer. The body the figure had been carrying was tossed aside, twisting further and lying limp on the floor. The Expiate officer narrowed his eyes.

"Stay where you are, unholy beast," he said with a commanding voice. [color-#ffd59a]"Or I'll purge you on the spot."[/color]

The figure's hood tilted. It raised a bloody pale finger at itself, its long nail glistening ruby.

"Yes, you," the boy said as he touched his cross. "I'm confirming you're responsible for the deaths the past few days. Am I correct?"

The figure glanced at the body on the ground and then at the boy.

It nodded.

"What is your purpose?" he said next. "What do you want?"

The figure thought for a moment, rubbing a pointed white chin. After regarding for a bit, it then raised its finger behind him to where Liseran was. The boy's eyes widened.

"She's not to be harmed, he said in a surprisingly low growl.

The figure shook its head furiously and pointed again.

It wasn't at Liseran, the figure was pointing at, but...

Valen.

Liseran turned to Valen, her eyes wide with shock as was everyone else's. Valen would see her lips move.

"Run."

Without a second passing, the four would hear an ungodly shriek fill the air and the fog get thicker. The figure's eyes within the hood glared red before dashing towards Valen, its long nails extending towards him as if trying to impale him.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26 am

Valen's eye twitched, his facade faltering just the slightest. But he braced himself and leveled the crossbow.

"I suppose it's a curse to be so popular," Valen feigned confidence. When the shrill shriek rang out, Valen's footing slipped just the slightest as he grit through it. The fog thickened. This wasn't exactly optimal for a man in glasses. But he could see the figure rapidly approaching him. Valen dropped and rolled on the ground, avoiding the attack and moving himself away. Still on the ground, he raised the crossbow and let a bolt fly, aiming for the stomach. Without waiting to see if it hit the mark, Valen swung his legs and got up, shuffling back to get some distance, loading another bolt and leveling the crossbow again.

"Perhaps I'll redact what I said about never running away," Valen stated out loud. "If it's after me, I'll do more good leading it somewhere remote. I don't know if I can keep it contained on my own though!"

Now I've planted the necessary seed of doubt Valen thought to himself. He can't risk this thing getting away, so if I lead this fight elsewhere, he'll be forced to follow. That spell can't be easy to maintain once the caster leaves the line of sight.

Valen made a cursory glance towards where Liseran was bolted down.

I just have to wait for the right moment...

"So why are you after lil' ol' me?" Valen shouted at the figure. "You exclusively target the pretty ones? Surely there's better ways to meet people? Ever considered dance lessons? Wine tastings?"

Come on, come on.

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:14 pm

The bolt hit the lower quadrant of the figure's torso, but after a brief stagger it starter approaching him again. The figure was quick to chase after Valen, making the boy grit his teeth. He raised his hand, another Cartic glyph forming, but as the rocks rose from the ground, the figure swiftly dodged them.

His eyes widened for a moment, but quickly narrowed.

"Dammit," he muttered under his breath.

He couldn't exactly give chase with Liseran in tow. However, when he looked behind him past the fog, he was surprised to see she wasn't there.

What!?

He tried to scan the area, but both Liseran and whoever that fussy pansy knight's companion was were gone. He moved in the direction Liseran was for a moment, but stopped himself. He growled.

"Demons be damned! he let out under his breath.

He hadn't heard anything! Let alone sense it. He quickly turned to give chase after.

Whatever. It's not like she can get away too far bound like that.

He gave pursuit to both the monster and Valen.

Valen, meanwhile, would see the figure quickly approaching him and extending an arm again, its nails ready to dart forward like spears once more.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Valen retreated backwards quickly and just as the figure approached to strike him, he shot a bolt at its thigh. If the impact didn't cause it to stumble, have a bolt through its knee will.

"Come now, I know you're somewhat capable of understanding human speech!" Valen called out, continuing to back away quickly while reloading. "What are you after? How do you create those creatures?"

Valen kept on yelling out, but his intent isn't to entertain the beast, it's to keep the officer following along. Travis managed to do his part better than Valen expected. Now he has to make sure the officer's attention is kept here. Besides, Valen already figured half of the things he was shouting at the figure. There were only two things that made him different from the others. He didn't know which he'd prefer the case to be. It'll be confirmed if he can just check on something later.

"I can't tell if this is a horror story or a divine comedy," Valen muttered under his breath. "This way!"

Valen darted into an alley and kept running. It would be disadvantageous to lead it to the woods, and there's too much risk leading it to the square. So Valen was gambling it on one thing, the city guards.

Close to the barracks will be where the most traffic will be. This thing will probably get killed but it's the best he could do. During the commotion, Valen will just slip away. He has to be careful, because if something goes wrong it could mean his life...

"Come on, come on! Show me some of those legendary vampire powers, eh?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:26 pm

The bolt shot through the creature's leg and while it did not feel pain, the impact caused its leg to trip and stumble. The figure rolled in its cloak towards the side, silver white hair spilling out from its hood. As it struggled to get back up, the hood would come off and Valen would see what the creature really was.

It's face was barely human at this point. Gaunt and emaciated, its red beady eyes were just dots on its face. The bridge of its nose barely existed and its nostrils mere slits. It had no discernible lips, whatever remnant of was flatted along with the rest of its face. Sharp fangs poked from both the upper and lower jaws and Valen would notice that its neck had two bright red dots against the pearly sheen of its skin.

As Valen had asked questions, it looked up at him, squinting and blinking. It spoke, its voice gravelly and low.

"I want...your blood..." it said. "Your blood and mine...are the sa--"

A black spike erupted from the ground, piercing through its torso and lifting it up in the air. The creature screamed as the spike glowed blue, as if the light was causing it severe pain.

"Finally."

From the fog in the distance, the boy emerged, black beads wrapped around his hand where the amulet of Ariel dangled. His steely eyes stared at the creature as it struggled.

"There's no point trying to escape," the boy said. "Now, I can offer you a quick death or a slow and painful one. It's only a matter of you cooperating as my captive."

"Graaahhhh...release me!" it screeched.

The boy lifted one finger causing the bright blue light to flash. The creature hissed, its skin singeing where it was exposed to light. Once the light subsided, the skin started to heal. The creature gasped in relief.

"Well?"

"I...have no answers...for you..."

"We'll see about that," he said. The boy only then noticed Valen. He squinted at him. "I can handle things now. Leave before I decide to report this to my superiors."

Last edited by Lilac on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 am; edited 3 times in total
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Ah. The boy caught up faster than he expected. Now he got the creature pinned and could end it with but a word. Valen lowered the crossbow but kept his eyes trained on the boy and the creature. He took a step back but hesitated.

The answer he got was roughly what he expected. With this knowledge, solving this plague was somewhat attainable. The boy doesn't suspect a thing and is even letting him retreat, exactly what he was after.

But....

This thing, whatever it was, spoke. It was intelligent. And it had the will to resist and rebel. If Valen turned away now, he will consent to its death sentence....

Captain, perhaps we can get him to reform? I mean, it would be a waste to-

Him? Hm? You speak as though this creature has a soul.

But he- it's just a lad sir.

All witches die, soldier. This is for the security of our home and family. We will let the gods sort them out.

Valen turned on his heel, muttering in a low voice "I'm sorry..."

He ran off and disappeared quietly. His foremost priority, reconvene with Travis at his cabin. They will have a lot to discuss....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:43 am