Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Innkeepers have the Room...

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Innkeepers have the Room... Empty Innkeepers have the Room...

Post by Lilac Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:36 am

Note: This thread is an import of an old thread from the Zetaboads forum: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Wiegenlied_RPG/topic/8299031/1/

"A room, please," a voice said quietly as it slipped a few gold coins on the counter.

Deidre, the innkeeper at Wyverly Inn outside Erifield, looked up from the glass she was cleaning in order to get a good look at the requester. It was a girl, no doubt, as her blue and white dress was apparent under her dark blue cloak. She could partially see a bit of her face as well hidden under her head. She looked young, at the very least an older student. The girl must have felt Deidre's stare as she tightened the cloak around her even more, as if she didn't want to be recognized. This made Deidre all the more wary.

"I see," the middle-aged woman said as she slid the coins into her hand. "Though, you gave around 50's worth. That's enough for several days. Are you staying long?"

"Not really," the girl said quietly. "However, I'd like to request a room a little farther from the rest. One that isn't so noisy and a little offways from the next room."

Well, it wasn't everyday Deidre got fifty from a customer. It wasn't her business either if the girl didn't want to be known. She didn't look dangerous, at most. There was no visible seal on her, either.

If I stay ignorant, I'll stay out of trouble, Deidre repeated to herself.

"Right then," Deidre said. "I have just the place for you. Follow me."

The brown-haired woman tossed her cleaning rag on her chair and got up. Smoothing out her apron, she jerked her head towards the stairs and the girl followed. A few men who were drinking turned their way for a moment. No doubt because a young woman had arrived her alone. Deidre glared at them to back off and they went back to what they were doing.

Wyvern Inn was the size of a moderate two-story house with lovely wood carvings and well-painted. It had a garden out in front and balconies that looked out into the water. On a calm night such as this and a full moon, it was perfect. The room Deidre showed the girl into led right to this balcony and she was sure she heard a sound of approval upon opening the door to it.

"This should do it," the girl said. She turned to Deidre and lowered her hood.

The girl's dark purple hair flowed out, curly and unruly and tied in a ponytail with a rabbit-eared bow. Her bangs curved and parted unevenly and she had two precious dark blue eyes behind a pair of glasses. For some reason, the girl looked familiar, though Deidre couldn't place who or where from. She merely nodded.

"Feel free to come down for dinner," Deidre said. "The soup's going to be done in a bit. It's free of charge the first night."

"Thank you, I will," the girl said politely.

With that, Deidre headed towards the door and then paused.

"Oh, just another thing," she said.

"Yes?"

"We make it a rule here in the inn not to cast magic save for small things such as lighting or heating," Deidre said. "We had an incident that didn't go too well the other time."

The girl promised not to use any magic. With that, Deidre headed down, wondering what a young girl was doing all the way out here.

Liseran had come to Erinfield at a big risk. It was bad enough she had an altercation with her father in the main city, but running off into an inn (where word got around fast) was no doubt going to spread if she wasn't careful. It was half the reason she kept her hood on downstairs. She didn't think he would bother trying to find our all the way out here, but she needed to be careful. If he caught her before she got what she needed in Erinfield, the trail she had following so closely might disappear. That said, all of her worrying was making her hungry.

Deidre gave Liseran a hot bowl of corn chowder and a glass of water. She had asked if Liseran drank, but the girl politely declined. Cold from her travel outside, Liseran placed her hands over the bowl and tried to warm them. She then took a sip of the hot liquid and breathed out. At least this inn served decent stuff.

Last edited by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Innkeepers have the Room... Empty Re: Innkeepers have the Room...

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:27 am

"Excuse me, ma'am. How much does a room cost?" a soft voice said to Deidre. A petite girl was standing across from the counter dressed in a leather dress and a hood. Her bag showed that she was a courier. She had blonde hair, tied into braided pigtails, and dark gray eyes. She looked uncomfortable with all the people around her.

She held a coin purse in her hand. "I can pay extra. It's just for tonight. I rathwr not travel back to Isolé right now, it's too dark." The courier said sadly. While the monsters were a threat, another day away from that village was paradise. She was saving up some money to leave, but only time would tell if she could.

The girl rubbed her neck. She seemed sore and exhausted. She just wanted to go to bed. But she hoped she would be allowed in. The young girl wouldn't be surprised if the Innkeeper saw that she was a Walpurgis, and kick her out. Maia Tommelise did hot want to be thrown out tonight.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:29 am

The middle-aged woman smiled at Maia.

"Well, aren't you a darlin' one?" Deidre said seeing her. "I agree. It's a little dangerous for you to be going out all alone. I have just a place for you upstairs. But are you interested in eating first?"

Liseran, who was sitting at the counter, quietly listened to the conversation.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:29 am

"Oh. Thank you, that would be lovely." Maia replied. She began placing currency on the counter. She counted about 150 and handed it to Deidre. "I hope this is enough. It's all I can give." She said sadly. Maia had some more, but she did need some money to buy supplies for the road. Besides, this was the usual amount she was charged for goods back in Isolé. The joys of being different in a small village.

Maia sat at the counter next to Liseran. She didn't know why she sat there. She hated being next to people. But it was too late now. Moving might hurt the girl's feelings. "It's a lovely inn you have here. Must have taken many years of hard work and dedication."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:30 am

Well that was strange. She expected Deidre to take all the money or ask for more. Then give her the worst room in the entire place. Or maybe the woman didn't know she was sealed. Who knew? Maia didn't care at the moment. She closed her eyes for a minute. Then the girl casually mentioned her being sealed. Maia turned to her and raised an eyebrow. "Since birth. Father was one, so it happened immediately. He was sealed too." She replied. But Maia had some questions of her own.

"What gave it away? The ugly, dark seal on my neck, or my obvious and pitiful feelings of inferiority?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Both are rather evident," Liseran said drinking her water. She placed the cup down. "You shouldn't let people treat you so cruelly, though. We never wanted to have Cantus. We just do. In fact, even if you're sealed, it does not necessarily mean you have it or not. It just means you had family who was like that and you're at risk."

Liseran lowered her head and revealed her unruly, curly dark purple hair. She wore a rather sad expression.

"It's not like all those who use Carta are good themselves. In fact, Carta is a cold, heartless magic compared to Cantus. Cantus is...a little more intimate. Or at least it was."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"No. I have it. Apparently it runs in my family. I don't usually tell people my surname to avoid them screaming at me for being evil." Maia replied. The woman seemed a little crazy, in her opinion. Who starts saying this in public? They were going to get arrested or something. Maia wasn't in the mood for that.

"We must have been raised differently then. I grew up learning that I was a worthless freak, who should be beheaded before I enslave the town by making a contract." The girl said with boredom. She honestly didn't belive she was worthless, but freak was something that burned in her mind.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:31 am

Liseran said nothing for a moment. She then finished the last of her water and spoke again.

"Perhaps we were..." she mused. "But only because I was privileged. The moment I lost that privilege, I was treated the same."

Liseran's eyes stared hard at the ground.

"It's not fair," she murmured. "Though...I suppose you won't feel that way unless you feel your Cantus for yourself."

She glanced at the girl's seal.

"You have a marvelous seal. It's still deep for one that was made since birth. You'd think it would fade by now..."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:31 am

"Have knowledge of seals then? Well you will also know that being a Walpurgis, I don't want to deal with any Expiate at the moment. So try not to say these things loudly." Maia replied. Why did she sit here? And why was this girl talking like this? The short girl was tempted to find Deidre to go see here room. But she stayed for whatever reason.

Maia tapped her fingers against the counter. "Having Cantus is nothing to be proud of. There are a lot of evil people who abuse it."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:32 am

Hearing the last phrase, Liseran placed her hand down firmly. She stared down at the desk.

"What are you talking about?" she asked. "Have you been so brainwashed so as that you turn against your own kind? Who's the one doing the exact same things to the people who stomped on them? The ones who blame the children of the old even if they hadn't been present for crimes?"

Liseran's tone was almost angry, but she let it go. She leaned over the counter and sighed.

"There's no point trying to discuss something to someone who's been cowed to think a certain way," she murmured. "Forget I said anything about Cantus. Rather, I suppose I should instead introduce myself like a proper lady."

Liseran straightened up and looked at Maia firmly, her back perfectly straight and her hands on her laps.

"My name is Liseran Dormirse. I'm a student at Atler Cartic Academy."

The girl offered no handshake but merely stared at Maia intently.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:42 am