Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

Day 03: A Talk

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Day 03: A Talk Empty Day 03: A Talk

Post by Lilac Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 am

Takes place directly after After Midnight

OOC: Music for the scene here

"McCrae, I am taking you off your probation."

The words were said with a finality to them. There was no questioning it.

"I know it is earlier than what was discussed, but as of today, you're back on duty," he said. "You're to leave Aldmerrow today and report yourself at the Leiger headquarters the moment you arrive."

Richard looked to the side, as if watching the door. It was closed, but he wouldn't speak until the silhouettes that stood by the doorway disappeared. He then continued.

"You showed a lot of bravery today fighting out there," he said. "I want to say that I'm removing you off of probation in gratitude for your help. You're definitely what an Expiate officer should be. But..."

He paused for a moment and then looked at Goibniu gravely.

"The truth is we will need as many officers as we can get," he said. "We lost only a few men today, but many were injured. You see, apparently the attack wasn't only in the square...

"There was another attack just outside of the town."
    Silverion
    Silverion

Day 03: A Talk Empty Re: Day 03: A Talk

Post by Silverion Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 am

"... Huh?"

It took a moment for him to process that statement. Probation? He was revoking it completely? Surely the Commander would be able to tell Goibniu's surprise as his face when from a somber expression to one of complete surprise. He remembered the probation came from a rather poor performance caused by a botch operation he executed with Claes not too long ago, and the stern look he was given as he was given as he was put on probation until further notice.

But it seemed that further notice came knocking pretty soon! "Are you sure about this Sir? I mean, I won't object to this, but... really??" It was hard to not hide the tone of excitement in his voice, even if he was still recovering from the shock of the entire event. He was then explained that this sudden event was a mix of recognition and pragmatism. To say that he was elated to hear the Chief Commander commend him for his actions was an understatement, and in all honesty? It all felt a bit overwhelming.

However, his sudden shoot of dopamine was suddenly interrupted when the Commander made mention of a different attack that happened. "Huh? Outside the city? Is it related to attack we endured moments ago?" He asked, trying to keep his mind focused to not fly off the handle with the adulation.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:18 pm

"We're not sure about that yet," Richard said.

He looked to his sides, pulling out a sheet of paper from the pile he had been working on and placed it in front of Goibniu. It was a map of the town. There were a few scribbles and footnotes on certain areas, but the most distinctive markings were the "x" marks, one in town square and one towards the forests near a Cartic academy.

"If you remember earlier, the Special Unit missed by the intruder at the town square by a hair," he said. "Apparently this other attack was why."

Richard used a pen to draw a circle in the area where the other attack had been, emphasizing the area.

"There was a surprisingly discreet explosion near the Cartic academy," he said. "The Special Unit intercepted while on their way to the town square. What was odd was that while fighting they couldn't use magic.

"This was no roar, however. These people weren't Enkidus. They were able to use Carta like anyone else, but they...did something that stopped the team from using their own. The unit managed to give chase, but they vanished fairly quickly. Fortunately, no one was hurt and everyone was in town square during the event."

Last edited by Lilac on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Silverion
    Silverion

Post by Silverion Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:46 am

Goibniu's eyes were opened like plates as the Commander began explaining what happened. Two attacks occurred outside the fair, one at the town hall and the other at an academy, and the Special Unit was dispatched to one, but had to deal with the other first. This was definitely some sort of coordinated attack, but what concerned Goibniu was the clarification that during the academy attack, the Unit wasn't able to use magic.

"You mean... their magic was nullified?" He was surprised to hear that, but then remember when Liseran performed some sort of trick that caused the Witch's magic to decrease. "I recall during the battle, Madam Dormirse performed some sort of magic that depowered one of the assailants at the fair, could it be that these attackers also had a similar skill among their abilities?" If that were to be the case, it would be rather alarming, as it would cause a severe dent in the Expiate's repertoire of methods to fight.

At the very least, he was glad to see there weren't more casualties, but the entire situation still confounded him. "I don't understand... What could have these people been seeking? All I understood was something about some artifacts spouted by the fiends at the fair, so this sounds like some sort of dangerous doomsday cult."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Richard's eyebrows arched as Goibniu mentioned Liseran. His expression darkened.

"Did she now?" he said dryly.

He paused for a moment before closing his eyes.

"Their abilities were surprising, yes," he said. "I can't say whether or not they were similar, but all I know is that it's concerning. With that said..."

He looked at the paper carefully.

"The artifact that knight wanted," he said. "Is something of legends. You grew up in Stahlmin, if I'm correct? Are you familiar with The Legend and Fall of Scath?"
    Silverion
    Silverion

Post by Silverion Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 am

"Yes!" He responded, not exactly thinking over his words until his reply was actually out. The way the Commander's expression turned inti a rather grim one was rather strange, as Goibniu didn't realize he just ratted Liseran out. Truth be told, it's not like she told him not to do it, he had no reason to think Veiller wasn't in the know. "Is... is there something wrong, commander?"

He then remarked that the nature of these abilities was something none could account for, which was followed up with some pondering over what the Knight was referring to. "The Legend and Fall of Scath... I believe I was told that legend when I was but a wee lad, but it was so long ago... I do not recall a whole lot about it. Could that fable be connected to whatever that Knight was after?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:29 am

"Hm?" he said absently at Goibniu's first question.

He massaged his temples and shook his head. His voice cracked as he spoke.

"Ah...no. It's nothing."

But it wasn't, of course. Whatever it was, however, Richard slammed down, refusing to let it occupy him at this time and place. He'd deal with it later.

Goibniu then mentioned that he couldn't really remembering the legend of Scath. Richard opened his eyes, looking absently in the distance. He then started speaking.

"Red-eyed Scath,
    Furious Scath,
    Demon dragon king,
    Worshiped by the witches
    On Theral's stony spire.

Seven sages,
    Seven mages,
    Did the Carta bring
    Split Scath into seven pieces
    And cast his bones in Dearmad's fire."

Richard said it mechanically, as if it was something he could remember without effort.

"If you know your history, you should know Scath was a Greater Incantus that was a crucial part of the Magus War," he said. "He was bound and destroyed by a sage council that would eventually have found the Expiate. That said, it was rumored that he wasn't really destroyed and that he was split into seven artifacts. The artifacts were split among seven main bodies: the five kingdoms' rulers, the head of the sages, and the head of noble family line."

Richard rested back in his chair and sighed.

"Of course, I should emphasize they were rumors. Myths made by Walpurgis cultists in an attempt to keep hope that their great 'god' would return," he said. "Though, it's still important to look into. I agree that this sounds like some cult, though most cults are particularly harmless. It will take more looking into."

Richard looked at the clock on the wall and frowned. He started a motion to get up.

"That said, you can leave investigations to the investigative unit. What's important is that you'll be on duty once you're ready," he said. "Any other questions before we close this?"[/i]
    Silverion
    Silverion

Post by Silverion Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:51 pm

The kind of answer Richard gave him wasn't a very informing one, but one could tell the Commander had definitely some plans for Liseran later. Goibniu was, admittedly, none of those people, but he did opt not to continue with the subject, as the matter at hand was more important. Whatever repercussion this will cause, it would have to wait.

And speaking of which, Richard was kind enough to recite the myth back to him, causing Goibniu to have a clearer memory of how it went. Yeah, no wonder he could barely remember, his father used to treat it at some sort of regional folklore, dismissing it outright due to their origin. So the basic idea is that this Scath being was an ultimately  evil being that was destroyed by seven sages, but Richard then mentioned that rather than being defeated, he was actually sealed away by them, and the artifacts were a key component of this sealing.

"But wait... I don't understand something." Goibniu interjected. "Let's say this rumor is 'true', and that he was sealed away... why did that happen? Was he just too powerful to outright eliminate?" Outside of that, he didn't understand the possible explanation one could have to seal such a terrible monster, without suspecting that his existence might actually be more crucial to the grand scheme of things that one might imagine. "Also, if we keep assuming the rumor is 'true', then that means they might attack again. Are there any measures that can be taken to make sure they don't sneak up on us again?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Goibniu's questions were well-founded enough, but he'd only be met with a bitter laugh.

"Like hell I'll let something like that happen."

For the slightest moment, Richard's eyes were hollow...empty. A shadow cast over his face and the expression he had could only be contrived as spite. It quickly vanished, however, and Richard let out a sigh. He started getting up from his desk.

"That's why they're rumors, McCrae," he said. "There's no purpose for them to not get rid of Scath. Even if they didn't if he was too powerful, whatever remnants he had would be long gone or destroyed."

Richard stood up and began slipping on his white gloves again. He took the paper with the map from the table, folding it and placing it in his pocket.

"You should probably retire for the night, officer," he told Goibniu. "You have a long travel ahead of you tomorrow and work right after. I've had Alfson informed about her reinstatement as well."

He made his way towards the door, but stopped briefly. He turned to Goibniu, offering a tired smile.

"Don't let fairy tales bother you too much, McCrae."

And with that he left.
    Silverion
    Silverion

Post by Silverion Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:16 am

It would appear that, in his questioning, Goibniu prodded a nerve the probably shouldn't have, considering Richard's reply was rather unnerving. His sentiment was a positive one of course, its just that his tone, and even the way he looked felt... rather eerie. Surely he didn't need to act this scary if he wished to keep the peace, right?

In any case, Richard clarified that, regardless of what really happened that day, the followers of Scath would do anything to try and get their good back, a premise that most definitely spooked the Enkidu. "Blazes, this is definitely not good... We can only hope our preparations are sufficient next time they strike." And then, Richard urged him to rest for the night, now that their business had concluded. Stahlmin wasn't just around the corner, he was right, and if Goibniu were to make the trip back home, he'd need to be well rested for it. "Officer Alfson is getting reinstanted again? I'm glad to hear this, she was wishing to return to the field." He commented, as he stood up.

Once the Commander walked away, Goibniu merely gave him a salute, his thoughts still lingering on the events that transpired. "No sir. Have a good night." He said, as he let out a small sigh once he was alone in the office. This really turned into something quite big rather quickly, and Goibniu had no idea how to handle this. A group of assailants interrupting a festival looking for artifacts to allow their mad god to come back? It was quite fantastical, and quite terrifying.

But he wouldn't make himself better by thinking about it all alone. Even standing up made his body feel heavy, all he could do was take the Commander's advice, and allow his head to rest. Hopefully the pillows will be soft enough to cushion the hard reality.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm