Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open] Empty Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:11 am

Note: This thread is an import of a thread from the old Zetaboards site found here

Tourmaline looked at the paper that she'd gotten from Liseran earlier that day. After training with Goibniu for a while, she'd headed over here, to help out the sick and injured. Coming into the brewery, though, it seemed fairly normal. Of course, I guess that's by necessity.

Tourmaline went up to the front counter, holding the paper in a balled fist; she was rather nervous, completely aware of the illegality of this. She'd definitely done more illegal things in the past (like casting Cantus magic at all), but it had been a while, and she had gotten used to being a nice, law-abiding citizen.

"Erm, yes, hello, I was told to give this to you and you'd allow me to..." Tourmaline wasn't sure if she should describe what was going on, in case this guy wasn't in the know. "Just, here." She handed him the well-handled paper.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open] Empty Re: Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open]

The man behind the counter, a person in his early twenties with blonde hair, gave her a quick, odd look.

"P-pardon?" he asked nervously.

The young man was pale, had the typical Stahlmic blonde hair and blue eyes, tall height and sturdy build. He seemed a little nervous. Almost as if Tourmaline was the first ever customer he was receiving. He was about to ask her to explain herself when someone who wasn't visible cleared her throat.

"Ahem."

"O-oh, s-s-sorry," the guy said.

Suddenly from behind the counter, bright cream-colored cat ears poked out, then a small, round head with green hair and thick, circular glasses that you couldn't see through. A girl had emerged from behind the counter out of nowhere wearing a green and yellow waistcoat and pinafore dress. It was hard to tell if she was staring at Tourmaline, because you couldn't see her through her lenses. She extended an open pawn to the young blonde man and he gave her the paper. She looked at it and read it.

"Hmm...what is your purpose here?" the girl finally said. She spoke in a high-pitched, but also raspy voice.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open] Empty Re: Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open]

Tourmaline was somewhat unnerved by the sudden appearance of the cat woman. She had a strange voice, very... Well, cat-like. "Uhm, yes, I'm--" She glanced at the man who'd been tending the counter. "A friend of Liseran's? I'd like to help with any-- anything I can. I'm a Cartic Mage, and I specialize in healing spells, you see."

Tourmaline wasn't sure how she'd take to a Cartic Mage, so she said, "I've only... Recently become a Cartic Mage, if you see what I quite mean." Tourmaline inwardly punched herself for speaking so strangely. "That is to say, learning Cartic magic was, for one reason another, quite impossible for me until recently."

She pulled out her clip and said, "I can demonstrate a healing spell, if you'd like? I'll have to injure myself first, though, unless either of you need anything?" Tourmaline looked from the original counter-keeper to the cat woman.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The young Enkidu waved a paper-white hand dismissively.

"No, no. That won't be necessary," she said. "I'll leave the magic-defining to Frau Hoffstadher."

The Enkidu took the note and crumpled it in her hand. She then slowly sank behind the counter. A few seconds later, the counter's backdoor flipped open and showed the Enkidu again, apparently someone that only reached the waist of Tourmaline. She tagged on Tourmaline's clothes.

"Follow me," she said. "Dillon, if you please?"

The shy blonde boy behind the counter flinched and nodded.

"R-right away," he said.

A clunk sound was heard and soon followed by those of turning gears. A stone wall trembled before sliding open and showing a stone pathway heading downwards. The young Enkidu gestured for Tourmaline to follow her down the narrow stairway.

"You claim to be associated with Liseran?" she said. "I take it you're here about Walpurgis concerns?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:12 am

Tourmaline followed, nodding and smiling at the boy as they passed him. She felt a little weird about following this Enkidu into the back storage area of the place, but she could defend herself, worst come to worst. "Yeah. I want to help as much as I can. As I said, I know a lot of healing magic, plus some shielding stuff. I can't fight or anything, nor would I want to, but I can do that."

"I'm actually an Atoned Walpurgi, myself. I've been trying to find a Haven where I could help out for a while. I was fortunate enough to run into Liseran earlier today. Anything I can help with on the home front, as it were, that's what I'd like to do."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Mmm," was all the cat could offer. "You can worry about helping once you've talked to the Haven's, mm, what's a good term, 'landlady'. She'll decide if you can stay, what you can do, and what use you can be. That is, if you're really one of 'us'. Us being, well, not technical as I'm an Enkidu."

The little cat girl placed her hands behind her and led her down the stairs, which wound and wound in a long spiral. Small bright lights that floated in the gap in the center of the winding case illuminated everything. Each being a casted rune of illumination of certain magnitude. They probably had to be cast often for them not to fade, but of course, that wouldn't be a concern for Tourmaline.

After a few good minutes, they reached the bottom of the stairwell and in front of two large steal doors. The cat pulled a second lever which would open it. What would lay in front of Tourmaline was a moderately-sized underground neighborhood. There were several lined houses, a couple of shops, and the ground above them was carved into a dome with bright shining crystals that almost looked like stars.

A yellow-bricked road twisted in front of them and Chartreuse would lead her straight on.

"This is the Haven," she said. "Himmel as it's called meaning 'heaven'. Close enough, right? Anyways, unlike most which network around the whole city, we're just a small neighborhood here. Maybe a handful of families and fifteen or so individual people dorming in Frau Hoffstadher's boarding house. Which is where we're going, by the way."

She pointed to the large, nice house up ahead. It consisted of several floors, was painted white with colorful roofs and borders, similar to old Stahlminian villages. The cat would lead Tourmaline through a door and ask her to wait inside a small corridor as she went ahead into what appeared to be a living room.

After a minute or so, the Enkidu returned.

"Go right ahead inside, the mistress is just ready to see you."

The living room was well-furnished with two dainty sofas and armchairs. A few paintings were here and there, vases with glowing flowers, and bookshelves stuffed with leatherbound volumes.

On the sofa facing the door was an elderly, stout woman in a long blue robe and white dress. Her platinum blonde hair was streaked with dark silver and pulled back into a bun. Two small eyes of bright blue looked at her and a small thin mouth sewn onto a chubby face with a few wrinkles at each end smiled.

"You must be Tourmaline," she said in a voice soft and raspy. "I was informed you would be visiting. Come closer, child and have a seat. Have you traveled long? Eaten? Rested?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline, as they walked, looked around in wonder, staring at the wonders of magic and technology displayed. It appeared as though she wasn't the only Cartic Mage interested in helping Walpurgis. Indeed, to design a place like this, they must've needed architects, engineers... The rebellion was quite a bit bigger than Tourmaline had thought, especially if this was a small neighborhood.

Tourmaline was actually having a great itch to explore-- surely there were Walpurgi artifacts of magic that were completely illegal to sell, and they could be used to great effect in combination with Cartic Magic. Tourmaline's own Cantic Magic, when she'd had it, had been nothing half as impressive as the small glimpses she caught.

Waiting in the corridor, Tourmaline pondered what she'd stumbled into by asking to help with a Haven. She'd just been envisioning some kind of small resistance movement, not dissimilar to the soup kitchens and disaster reliefs that she'd attended, as both volunteer and victim.

But this? This was a society. This was a whole underground country that housed what Tourmaline thought was a dead culture. The Walpurgi culture.

A few moments later, the enkidu returned, and bid Tourmaline into the next room. Within was a rather elderly woman, who looked somewhat severe, but in a motherly sort of way. She reminded Tourmaline of her physics mentor. Tourmaline sat, as she was asked, and replied to the woman's questioning.

"I-I'm quite good, thank you. I traveled from Saoirse, but that was a few years ago. I haven't been able to find a Haven, because I didn't want to ask just... Well, anyone. But I ran into Ms. Liseran today, and she gave me the location."

"Uhm, I'm sorry, but I want to make something very clear from the start?" Tourmaline cleared her throat, feeling awkward. "This could just be... Anti-Walpurgi propaganda, or something of the sort, but I hear that there is some fighting between, you know, rebels, and the current government?"

Tourmaline choked on her own saliva, and coughed for a moment. "I-I mea-- I don't mean to say, you know, that I think you're in the wrong or anything. I just, I personally have very strong nonviolent ethics, you understand. Alongside that, I know next to no destruction magic at any rate."

"Not to say I can't offer anything! I am very experienced in healing magic, and magic shields and stuff like that. I'd be happy, for example, to enchant clothes with magic shields and such."

She felt like that was a weak way to end her introduction, but she had nothing else to say, so Tourmaline closed her mouth and waited for a response.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The two eyes stared at Tourmaline but with gentleness. A quiet laugh escaped from the matron's mouth.

"Oh, now, now, you don't have to worry about anything such as war or combat," the woman said. "This is a Haven, my child. A place for any Walpurgis seeking sanctuary from the society that looks so harshly upon them. We are not asking you to fight or anything."

The woman momentarily gazed to the side and murmured under her breath.

"Rebellion is something more suited for the La Magie," she said. "But war and rift is the least of your concerns here, dear. All that Himmel cares about right now is keeping those who need to be hidden out of harm's way, and those who need help supported."

The woman scooted a little forward to look at Tourmaline a little better.

"You say you want to offer to help. And you can heal and enchant things," she said. "That is by all means very kind of you. I'm sure there are a few here who be able to benefit from that. Granted, I'd like to learn more about your needs first. I take it you need a place to stay? "
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline uncomfortably dropped the woman's gaze. "Oh, uh, me? I mean, I-- You know, I mean, I'm doing well enough. I have my own little apartment and I'm doing my own little research." She scratched her shoulder, which was suddenly unpleasantly itchy.

"Uhm, I mean, if you're like, saying something-- I mean to say..." Tourmaline took a breath. "Sorry, I have trouble talking sometimes. I mean to say, if you're offering some means of payment for my services, there's no need. I'm an Atoned Walpurgi, you see. I... I miss my magic, madame. And I want other Walpurgis to be able to avoid this sense of loss."

"I suppose if you were to insist, one can never have too many mediums? I only have the one right now."

Violet Fletcher opened the door to the brewery, still following the teal path laid out in front of her. If it was leading her into a building, surely she was close? Her quest was almost to an end. Violet wondered how Tourmaline would feel upon seeing her again. Probably awkward; that's how Tourmaline felt about most things. But maybe a little happy, too?

Addressing the man behind the counter, she said (with a noticeable Saoirsan accent), "Excuse me, monsieur, is there a Tourmaline here? Tourmaline Cardona. She always has a tourmaline clip in her hair."

Violet obviously knew that she'd come in here; she just wanted to know if it was common knowledge that she had. That, or something had gone wrong with her spell. But Violet's spells always worked.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 am

Tourmaline's answer took Frau Hoffstadher by mild surprise.

"Ah, it's not every day I find someone here wanting to help rather than to be helped," she murmured. "That's very kind of you, child. I'm sad to say most of the residents here are either sealed or atoned as it is. However, some are rather new to all this and lack in learning Cartic magic. Some here are even under therapy due to the trauma of being atoned. I believe you know how hard it is to adapt after losing a magic as intimate as Cantus..."

The woman folded her arms in her lap, which sat like squashed dough on a blanket. Frau Hoffstadher gave Tourmaline a soft smile.

"If we were to indeed say we availed of your services in enchanting and healing, it wouldn't do if we didn't give you compensation at all. If mediums is what you request, then we'd be more than happy to give you your due," she said. "It just so happens that our main nurse is in need of another healer to help her in our infirmary wing. You only need come when you're available and the work in itself is not too hard. I can't say I have any use for enchanted items yet, but I do know my colleague might. I'll send her a letter and see if we can arrange anything for you."

Frau Hoffstadher straightened up and then pushed herself off her feet. While she had looked rather short sitting down, it became quite apparent that while she was not short, but a rather large woman.

"Why don't I show you around the Haven as we discuss things further?" she said. "I'll need to direct you to the infirmary and the Aracaneum, where we work our enchantments and keep our books. As we do, do you mind telling me your full story? I like knowing someone before I consider their work."

Meanwhile, back at the surface of the alchemy shop, the blonde boy nervously flushed.

"Tourmaline?" he murmured. "I don't know. I don't remember people who come in and out. Why would you ask a lowly shopkeeper like me?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am