Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

4 posters

Hoshiji Yuugi - Departure for the Red Archipelago [ask first]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Hoshiji Yuugi - Departure for the Red Archipelago [ask first] - Page 6 Empty Re: Hoshiji Yuugi - Departure for the Red Archipelago [ask first]

Post by Lilac Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:22 am

When she was assigned to take part as a guest on this trip, Claes had done her best to brush up on Sakigake culture. Part of that had been cuisine. She had learned about the need for a variety of dishes to be served all at once, sides, rice bowls, meats, and fish. She had learned that cured meats and preserved foods were often very popular as well.

She definitely hadn't been expecting any of this.

She looked at the raw fish, trying to keep a straight face.

To her surprise, it didn't smell at all pungent and there was a pleasant sheen to the cuts. She had read about sashimi, but had never expected it to be purely raw (nor presented the way it had been). Was this even safe to eat?

She surveyed the other food. Bird's feet...what kind of texture was that supposed to have exactly? And...well, she didn't want to know what that other dish was.

Claes decided to go with what was most familiar with her: the fish. Okay, maybe it was raw, but if it was specially prepared and Enkidu could eat it without getting stomach aches, it had to be fine...right?

Claes reached out for a cut and placed it on her plate. She observed the others, taking note of how they would dip the fish into the soy sauce. Claes followed suit. If it turned out to taste bad, she could swallow it in whole, forget about biting.

Claes placed the fish gently in her mouth and slowly bit.

The texture made her inwardly shudder, but she wasn't expecting the taste at all. Her eyes widened.

There was something juicy about it, and the soy sauce got rid of whatever fishiness there would have been to the taste.

"...delicious..." she murmured. She carefully went for another one and looked at Kiara and Goibniu, as if trying to tell them it was fine.
    Silverion
    Silverion

Hoshiji Yuugi - Departure for the Red Archipelago [ask first] - Page 6 Empty Re: Hoshiji Yuugi - Departure for the Red Archipelago [ask first]

Post by Silverion Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:20 am

Much to the girls' possible disappointed and surprised (or probably unsurprise?), Goibniu's expression seemed rather curious and even hungry as he observed the food offered. Well, he was mostly staring at everything else, the customs the sailors expressed by merely sitting there and eating their food with the chopsticks. It wasn't something scientific or intricate that required examination, and yet his eyes flashed with curiosity towards the scenery, at least until Qirin offered everyone a sit with him, which made his eyes turn towards the offered dish. Unlike Claes, all he knew about cuisine from Sakigake amounted to fishes Tuirbe would make in his youth, which ranged from the elaborate, to the simple ones. And while he suspected they would taste differently, he still seemed to look forward to testing whatever they offered. Tuirbe on the other hand, didn't seem to express much emotion towards the dinner, save from maybe a small nostalgic smile, a kind that you'd blink, and it'd be gone.

The two sat on the table next to each other, with Goibniu already making a tiny bow out of respect for the dish, while Tuirbe examined the sashimi served to them. "It's been a while since I had Sashimi. I used to go to the docks and buy from travelling merchants, definitely not cheap, but well worth the price." He said, as Goibniu took the sticks and managed to capture one bit with surprising finesse, all thanks to Tuirbe's teachings thanks to his tutelage. Following Claes' example, he dipped it into the soy sauce, and took a bite with little to no trepidation. "Mmmmh... it is indeed quite flavorful! The sailors are lucky to have quite a chef." He said, his excited, yet still controlled compliment giving hint that he was most likely being serious, rather than just accruing good will with the natives around him.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:08 am

"Ohoho. Very good, very good," Qirin hummed, stroking the length of hair attached to the chin of his mask. "Usually, all that's needed for a voyage is rice porridge and dried fish. But since we have foreign visitors with us, the cook thought to splurge a little."

When Kiara asked her question, Qirin hummed thoughtfully. "Hmmm. Do you not have sashimi in Esterelf? Ohoho. There are quite a few things we do not know about you all. Well see, the key is to slice the meat off of the fish swiftly without killing it. See? The organs are neatly tucked inside the head. Oh, I believe these have been brined."

Qirin was pointing and gesturing with his chopsticks as he explained. He had the air of an experienced teacher as he went on about the intricacies.

"The guts are edible and go splendid with liquor. Oh, speaking of, you can't use chopsticks, can you young one?" Qirin turned and looked at Kiara as he stated this. He took her rice bowl and raised his own chopsticks. "Here, I'll assist you. You were injured earlier so you should get lots of protein. Here you go."

Qirin set Kiara's bowl in front of her, now filled with a pile of fried crickets and three pieces of chicken's foot.

Qirin set his sticks down. Notably his bowl remains untouched and his mask is firmly affixed.

"Hm. The representatives are looking a little pale. I suppose you Esterelf folk are more susceptible to sea-sickness. I'll ask the ship cook to prepare some ginger tea."

Over at the captain's table, senator Baxtor Elmwood looked with a pale face at the food laid on the table, the corners of his mouth  twitching as if he was too afraid that if he opened his mouth, the food would try to jump inside. The Lance Corporal was just staring at the assortment with an undisguised look of disgust. Meanwhile, Jinn was chatting it up with the captain as if they had already become buddies. He was the only one that didn't shy about plucking the Sakigake dishes (although he notably seemed to avoid the sashimi).

The sailors and crew seemed to be enjoying themselves, acting like this was the best meal they've gotten in weeks. They were also all exclaiming something over and over. It sounded something like "Ching Ten Key".

"Hmmm," Qirin hummed thoughtfully. "That young lad from the crow's nest isn't here. He's usually the one who passes out the tea."
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:14 am

It seemed like everyone was collectively losing their minds. Kiara watched with disguised horror as claes ate a piece, then another, all without gagging or vomiting. Goibniu did the same, commenting that he ate such things before. Kiara paled and looked back at the dishes, her mouth forming a thin line.

She was looking for the least disgusting thing to try when Qirin both answered her question AND decided to put food on her plate for her. Her eyebrow twitched as he did so. She became visibly tense as the bowl was placed back on the ground in front of her. Though, she seemed less upset by the dishes and more so by the actions of Qirin himself.

Slowly, she let out a sigh, willing herself to calm down. A moment passed and there was mention of a missing crewmate. This was the perfect chance to get out of this nightmare meal!!!!

"I can help find him!" Kiara exclaimed. "I'm quite perceptive!" She added, hoping beyond hope that they'd let her leave.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Even if Claes had been pleasantly surprised by the cut fish, she was not immune to the shock of seeing the fish gutted right in front of her eyes. She blinked and worriedly looked at Kiara. She was half-worried Kiara might impulsively remark something negative, but Kiara braved seeing her bowl filled to the brim.

When Qirin mentioned needing someone to look for the boy from the crow's nest, Kiara quickly volunteered. Claes wasn't about to take any risks of her own bowl being filled, so she weakly spoke up next.

"A-ah, perhaps I should go with her as well," she said. "After all, since she recently just recovered from an injury, someone should keep watch over here. Besides, I'm quite full as I usually eat light dinners. I'm sure Officer McCrae can keep everyone entertained though?"
    Silverion
    Silverion

Post by Silverion Fri May 29, 2020 7:03 am

"The preparation is definitely quite a work from Sakigake. While Esterelf doesn't have the same level of spices for a more traditional preparation, I was able to find local alternatives that managed to get close to the flavor." Tuirbe said, eating his dish with nary a complain just like Goibniu. Even as Qirin gave them the exposition on how to properly handle the entrails, the older man merely did an approving nod while the younger one did a mere 'oooooh' of interest, and proceeded to try and remove a bit of the organs from inside the head to taste it. It was truly amazing how Goibniu's face was anything but ghastly as he took the bite without trepidation. "I say, these indeed taste great on their own! I'd like to taste them with the liquor." He said, as he kept chowing down on his place while Qirin offered a plate to Kiara, and then wondered about the whereabouts of the young sailor from before.

He still was eating by the time Kiara and Claes offered to help search for him, causing Goibniu to look at them in confusion. "Entertained? Ah, sure!" He said, agreeing with Claes' plan despite him having exactly no idea what to do. "Alright, mmmh..." He could give them a test of his sharpshooting, but he could already tell from the way Tuirbe stared at him that he should probably not do that inside of a boat. "Oh! I have been wondering, what is this 'ching ten key' business the other sailors have been repeating close by? Could it be some sort of holiday?" He asked Qirin, while Tuirbe was eating his food, his mouth too full to give his godson the answer right away.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:26 am

"Oh there's no need for that," Qirin stated as he lifted a teapot and poured into everyone's cup. The tea was a distinct green like grass, starkly different from the brown and black colors of tea in Esterelf. There wasn't any teapot on the table earlier. They were all on the opposite ends of the room, yet Qirin seemed to produce the ceramic piece out of thin air. "You're our guests. Please enjoy. Here, Miss Claes. Have the best part of the fish. It always goes to the most important one at the table."

The monk snapped the fish spine with his chopsticks and gestured for Claes to go ahead, and likely to her dread, he was referring to the head.

Qirin lifted his own teacup, which remained empty, and announced, "Qing tenki." which was parroted back from all directions.

The monk set his empty cup down and turned to Goib, crossing his hands under his large sleeves. It was hard to tell with his stone mask, but he exuded an air of smiling kindly.

"Ah yes, it's something that goes along with the celebration of Hoshigi Yuugi," Qirin stated. "In the Esterelf tongue, I believe it translates to 'clear weather'. The men here are wishing to Tentei Ma Gahava for the weather to be clear and peaceful."
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:48 pm

This trip was a nightmare and Kaira should've packed snacks. Her lips formed a straight line as her self made quest was put aside in favor of eating. Tea was poured, which was less horrifying than the rest of the meal...but Kiara didn't like tea either.

This trip had turned into some kind of survival horror.

Kiara took the tea, sipping it lightly and trying not to make a face as the taste hit her tongue. A small giggle DID escape her lips as a fish head was offered to Claes. While she wouldn't wish that on anyone (except chastain), seeing Claes flustered WAS funny to her for some reason. "Eat up Claes, I'm sure it's great." Kiara spoke from behind her cup. From here on out, she was going to shift focus to both Goibniu and Claes. She hated throwing the two under the bus, but she was in no way going to partake in this nightmare meal.

She could survive on just tea...right?
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:33 pm

Claes' eyes constricted as Kiara suggested she be the one to try it. Claes gave her a look that screamed "WHY!!!??".

"A-ah...th-the best part you say?" Claes said. "I-I'm honored...so very honored...it's a shame I can't share it with my dear, dear, comrades! And I'd definitely say that if anyone were important, it would be Officer Jinn. Oh...well!"

Claes tried her best to look as neutral as she could possibly be. She reached out for it and placed it on her own plate.

How....was she going to bite this exactly? She was pretty sure a whole fish head was inedible. Let alone the eyes...

Whatever the case, she lifted up the head and tried to look for any piece of meat she could find on it wedged between the crevices. She bit down. It was hard.

"ii..."

The tiniest sound came from her as she stayed there, frozen with the corner of the fish head between her teeth.

She just realized she had put herself in a rather inescapable situation. 1) She had no idea how to continue eating this, and 2) even if she couldn't she already bit into it and it wasn't like she could put it back.

She tried a small nibble as the person spoke and moved their eyes towards Goibniu to talk about Qing teki. Maybe she could get away with hiding it if everyone looked away.
    Silverion
    Silverion

Post by Silverion Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:22 am

The flavorful taste of the tea was something Goibniu and Tuirbe were quite familiar with, thanks to the latter partaking in it quite often. The aromatic scent and rich scent was fully appreciated by the Enkidus, as each took a sip in an educated manner, their faces expression a look of satisfaction, one which would most likely be noticeable on Goibniu. "My own hands might be getting too old, I can't remember the last time I produced a tea with such quality." Tuirbe said, as Goibniu turned towards the girls, more specifically Claes.

"Oooh, how fortunate! I'm glad that you enjoy the cuisine, Officer Alfson!" He said, completely oblivious of the fact she was indeed distraught over being given a fish head to eat. Coupled with Kiara's jeering, they were probably not helping her feel any better. But Goibniu's attention shifted again when Qirin made mention of the Qing tenki, and saw that everyone, his godfather included, raised their teacups to toast. "Ah, so it is a sign of good fortune! I now understand." He said, as he proceeded to do an admittedly late toast while repeating the phrase, maybe not with be perfect dialect, but close enough. "Could you please explain them what Hoshigi Yuugi? I am sure understanding the local festivities would help form a better bond between all of us."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm