Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

Bounty: Catch the Masked Thief

Grimoire
    Grimoire

Bounty: Catch the Masked Thief - Page 2 Empty Re: Bounty: Catch the Masked Thief

Post by Grimoire Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 am

"Well, you don't have to but we'd appreciate it," Jinn shrugged. "In return, we'll tell you anything that we know or perhaps a theory we come up with. Don't go around saying you're working for or with us, though. We don't want the town to hold us responsible if something happens. Oh and..."

Jinn glanced at the man with an uncertain look but simply went "Try and be careful out there."

The Stahlim capital was everything advertised and more. The buildings were larger and taller than anywhere else and the streets were flooded with people who were perpetually busy. In a place like this, there was no telling where a person can start to investigate such a uniquely chaotic series of crimes.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Bounty: Catch the Masked Thief - Page 2 Empty Re: Bounty: Catch the Masked Thief

Post by KitKet Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Rowan gave a slow blink at Jinn's response. It made sense, honestly. He didn't mind keeping secrets, but at the same time, if the problem was fixed smoothly, wouldn't the Expiate take credit for it anyways? Well, he was used to feeling more or less expendable. As long as he got paid..."Sounds good. I'll be back once I gather enough information then." He gave a curt nod and began to make his way out.

He was surprised as Jinn said one more thing. Rowan looked back, and for the first time in awhile gave a small smile. "Your wish is my command." Finally, he let himself out and took to the streets. First things first, he'd meet with any beggars on the streets. A bit of coin went a long way in regards to information. The poor folk tended to see the most truth be told. At least...that's what he'd found to be true in his lifetime.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:59 am

There weren't a lot of beggars close to the expiate's office in the Stahlim capital, however if Rowan made his way down the street, he'd notice a flux of walking traffic. Nearby was the commercial streets where business and vendors sold their products. It was a good spot for beggers.

Rowan may notice that most of the people he'd pass by largely ignored him, either in too much of a hurry or too immersed in their own business. Still, everyone seemed to wear such nice clothes and suits. Rowan's attire would normally warrant a curious glance.

Rowan would easily spot someone else that would stick out from the crowd. A man wrapped in a ragged cloth was sitting by the street with his back against a wall. His right leg was a wooden stick from halfway up his thigh down. He couldn't even bent it in a way to keep it hidden or out of the way. In front of him was a bucket with a handful of coins in it.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Rowan honestly didn't mind being ignored. The less attention he got, the better...At least in some aspects. Still, once this little mission was done, it might behoove him to get some Stahlmin fashion. He'd prefer not to stick out like he is. Especially when he was tracking someone.

Thankfully, it didn't take him too long to find what he was looking for. The man clearly had a hard life and was doing his best to survive given the circumstances. Rowan could sympathize. "Good day sir." He spoke, stepping up to the man. After a moment, he'd kneel down to the man's height. "How's the day treating you?" As he spoke, he gingerly placed a Denar into the man's bucket. "Do you mind if I keep you company for a bit? I've been walking awhile and need some rest."
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:57 pm

When Rowan dropped the denar into the bucket, a metal arm reached out from under the man's cloak. It had the appearance like a metallic skeleton with exposed gears, loosely covered up with a ragged bandage. The hand reached into the bucket and pulled out the denar before disappearing back into the cloak.

"Do whatever you want."

To Rowan's likely surprise, the man would talk back to him in the native tongue of enkidu. If Rowan looked closely, he could see a faded white tusk protruding from the left-side of the old man's beard, although a left one seemed to be missing.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 am

"I tend to."

Rowan sat down as he spoke. If there was any humor to that sentence, his voice did not indicate such. He let himself relax, taking a moment to take in the man's form before speaking. "You're from the mainland." He stated, tilting his head. "A Denar for a story?" He held up a coin once more. He didn't expect friendship from the man. A transaction was more likely. At least that's what Rowan figured.

Before he really got into the meat of things, he DID want to actually speak to the man a bit more. He was more likely to actually TELL him something if he saw him in a more positive light. Swapping stories might help with that.

A bit of money was hopefully the right push.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:56 am

"Not as fresh off the boat as you are" he stated, seemingly noting Rowan's clothing. He seemed rather gruff and his tone was dry as sand. This was a man that didn't have a lot of positivity in his day. "If you're looking for labor, the factories are a few li that way."

Li was a Sakigake unit of measurement for travel. It was about a third of an Esterelf mile.

The man seemed pretty despondent, but at least he was talking.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:07 pm

Rowan kept a neutral face when the man ended up not taking the bait. Perhaps he wasn't as in a desperate of a situation than Rowan thought. He flipped his fingers, palming the coin and lowering his hand as the man spoke of labor instead. "Thank you." He said simply. He had no desire to slave away in some factory, but he wasn't about to act high and mighty here. "What made you leave?"

Well...He had a few guesses.

For now, it probably wasn't best to ask too many questions. He hoped it wouldn't be long though. He didn't really want to be here all day.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:07 pm

"You just that bored or something?" the man grumbled, staring down at his bucket as if it were his only source of solace. He remained silent for a while before his cape ruffled and his wiry metal arm raised from underneath. He answered "This" before sliding it back underneath his rags.

"I was a soldier," he stated. "Heavy infantry. But I lost an arm and became unfit for battle. I was disgraced as a warrior."

The Esterelf people saw metal limbs as a wonder unique to the enkidu's technology, but it was a sign of weakness and dishonor to the enkidus themselves.

"I was told that our people can find work here, so I took the boat and told my family to wait until I could support them," he stated. Then he glance somberly at his wooden peg and sighed. "[i]Then I lost this when I was put to work in the mines."

Suddenly, he hunched over, covered his mouth and nose with his ragged cloak and cough violently. This wasn't a coughing fir from illness or disease but one from choked lungs bred from working in places like mines and caverns. Despite a man being stricken with such violent hacking, the people passing by seemed to ignore him and even started walking in a wider girth around him as they went on their business.

The man calmed down after a while, and breathed slowly as he leaned against the store wall he was sitting against.
    KitKet
    KitKet

Post by KitKet Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:32 am

Rowan silently listened to the man as he told his tale. He was always surprised at his own culture. The ability to create fully functioning limbs, but disgracing any warrior that needs them. Perhaps the company he'd been with had been a bit different...Though they never really cared for the usual rules of their society in the first place.

He had family back at home it seemed...Most likely dead if they were waiting for him. "That is unfortunate. Its a shame you've known such hardship." He crossed his arms, letting out a small sigh.

He paused a moment, taking a long look at the man before speaking once again. "I'll be honest. I came over here in hopes of a different story. There's some information I'm looking for, I'm willing to pay quite a bit for it as well." Screw it, he didn't need the entire reward. This was more about getting in the Expiate's good graces too. Considering he was an unaffiliated mercenary, having some pull with the police force of the area would do him better than any amount of money.

Though money was good too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am