Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]  Empty Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]

Post by Lilac Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 pm

As the day grew late, enchanted lamps lit up the streets and more people appeared on the square grounds. Most had finished with work and school and could now enjoy the celebration fully. Children crowded the booths, men and women sat at tables, enjoying grilled meats, stuffed vegetables, creams and fruits and other drinks from the various stalls. Citizens and tourists walked in all directions, mere silhouettes in the bright yellow lights that illuminated the streets.

Amidst all this was a little girl no more than four feet. Her hair was a vibrant red and fell down her back and she held a black cat in her arms. She wore a commoner's dress and her face was ruddy from dirt and tear stains. She was looking in each direction desperately.

"Mommy?" she cried. "Mommy, where did you go?"

She moved in one direction where a bunch of men were sitting and laughing as they drank ale.

"Have you seen my mommy?" the girl asked.

A stout man shoved her aside.

"Oi, kids like you should stay away from grown-up tables!" he slurred.

"But I can't find my--"

"I said scram!"

The girl's light blue eyes widened and she quickly retreated. She looked in every direction she could, but she couldn't find her mother anywhere. Her chest tightened and her body shook. She finally tore out into a sob.

"MOMMYYYY!!!" she cried. "Mommy, where did you go!?"

She had walked away from the crowd, crying and sobbing while holding the black cat tightly. She found herself straying away from the square and heading towards the blocked off streets which were dark and empty.

"I can't find you!" she whined. "Take me home already!!"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]  Empty Re: Nobody's Girl; [Ask First]

As the sky grew dimmer on the celebrated day, people came and went without a care or way. The children and their parents take this time to go, back to their lodgings to rest their heads and toes. But as the sky grew dimmer and the lanterns lit the night, it was all the easier for the adults to ignore the little girl's plight.

Yet wading through the people going about their day, the clump and thud of boots were sounded stepping along the cobblestone walkway. The flap of a coat riddled with the grime of travels and musk all the while as day approached dusk and all the while, the eyes of a man with a long, fine shadow, eyed the little girl and took his bow. On one knee he crouched down to her, his narrow, tired eyes staring, staring at her.

Valen closed the leather bound book he was holding in his hand crouched down so that he was looking at the girl at eye-level.

"Are you lost?" he asked softly, no particular tone in his voice as if he was asking what time it was. "Don't cry now. Can I ask you your name, little one?"

Last edited by Lilac on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The girl sniffled and rubbed her eyes with her left hand. The black cat was merely resting its head on her arm.

"R-Remi..." the girl said. "My name's Remi. I lost my mommy...I can't find her anywhere!"

The cat mewed in the girl's arms, one of its yellow eyes opening and looking at Valen curiously before closing it again. The girl tried to calm herself.

"C-c-can you help me find my mommy?" she asked. "She's a little tall and she's wearing a pink lawn print dress."

In the alleyway ahead of them, the sound of clattering cans came and was soon followed low growls and the sound of something squishing a wet substance. The girl winced.

"Is...is that a dog?" she asked. "It doesn't sound happy."

The alley was pitch black compared to the well-lit streets in the distance. It was hard to tell if it was a dog indeed.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Valen looked up ahead at the sound, his ears perking thoughtfully. It wasn't really any of their business either way honestly, but something was starting to nag at him about it.

"You stay right here, okay? I'll take a look. I'll be right back."

Valen started standing up and stepped into the alleyway cautiously, scanning ahead and allowing his eyes to adjust.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The girl nodded.

As Valen continued to get closer, he'd start hearing a chewing sound. Something seemed to be enjoying a good meal. The smallest light from the other side of the alley revealed the silhouette of a monstrous dog-like creature. It was much larger than any dog and its limbs thicker, claws longer and teeth savagely sharp. It was eating what appeared to be the remains of a few chickens that had been crated together. The wooden boxes had been torn apart and little bits of blood and lots of feathers surrounded the area.

The corrupted dog didn't seem aware of Valen's presence at first, but a can rolled from behind the man. The shadow of the little girl appeared and it seemed she had entered the alleyway as well.

"M-mister?" she asked.

The sound was enough to pique the corrupted beast's interest. It looked up and finally noticed Valen and the girl. It growled and started charging at him.

"M-Mister!" the girl exclaimed.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Get back!" Valen yelled back at the girl, waving his arm back in a gesture for her to run. At the same time, three rings of strange symbols emerged from each of his arms, spinning in place as his arms started to glow below the elbows. he thrust both hands in the direction of the monster dog and ethereal chains appeared, snaking towards at the creature at a fast speed to wrap and bind it.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The girl did as he said, clutching onto her cat tightly and trying to suppress her crying as much as she could

The chains wrapped around the dog and it dropped onto the floor, trying to struggle from its binds. It growled and moved its head left and right, squirming as it tried to look for a way out. It was almost pitiful to look at. Remi drew closer to Valen, feeling for some reason that it was now safe to get closer to him. One hand touched his coat.

"Wh-what's wrong with it?" Remi said, her expression a mixture of pity and horror. "Is it...sick?"

"I'm afraid not," a voice said.

The source came from just across them on the other side of the valley. A lone figure stood there draped in a large blue cloak tied by a white bow. It was hard to tell what attire the person was wearing underneath and the hood was large enough to shade almost all of the face save for the lower portion where a small mouth was. The voice, did, however, suggest the figure was a girl.

Remi jumped at the presence of a new figure and held onto Valen's clothes. The figure started walking towards them.

"I suggest you get rid of that as swiftly as possible," the figure said in a soft voice. "Expiate officers patrol for Can--"

It stopped itself as it glanced at the girl and carefull rephrased its words.

"Err...activity such as yours."

The beast growled loudly, frightening Remi and making her squeak. It started moving around again. The figure also took a step back and started circling around it.

"If you'd like..." it said as it rummaged under its cloak. A slender sleeved arm poked out with a silver bell with an ebony handle. "I can be the one to kill it."

The little girl gasped.

"Y-you can't kill it!" the girl said in panic. The figure flinched a bit at the sudden defense of the creature.

The girl breathed in and explained.

"I-I'm sure it was just scared! It means no harm!"

The figure frowned. It wasn't an upset frown, but more of a sad, empathizing one.

The girl looked at Valen with pleading amber eyes.

"Please, please, mister, don't kill it," she said. "At the very least just put it to sleep!"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Valen didn't look at the girl. His eyes were locked on the woman before them. He clenched his fingers and the chains disconnected from his hands, leaving the corrupted beast to struggle in its binds.

"I guess I'll be a villain for a while..."

A shard of some glowing, dark substance floated from his palm circled above him in an axis. Valen raised the tail of his coat to cover the child's view. The shard suddenly started to stretch, lengthen, and shape into a blade. With a snap of his fingers, the blade shot forward, the point aimed between the creature's eyes.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

In an instant, the blade had struck its target. It yelped before slumping over while its body started to disintegrate.

Remi had let go of Valen and took a step back, her wide eyes shining with tears.

"Why...why did you..."

"That thing you saw was no mere dog," the woman said quickly. "And it was already suffering. Your friend merely put it out of its misery."

Remi narrowed her eyes and nodded slowly. The woman sighed sadly. She took off her hood, revealing she was much younger than her voice had led on. Blue eyes laid beyond a pair of rimless glasses and her hair was a messy violet ponytail. She stooped over to look at the girl.

"Where are your parents?" the girl said a little more softly. "You shouldn't be out here alone."

Remi looked at the girl and frowned, stepping back away from her and Valen alike.

"What does it matter?"she sniffled. "You killed that poor dog! I don't want to be around either of you!"

The woman's eyes widened with surprise at the girl's accusation, her former composure lost.

"N-no," the woman's voice cracked. "Y-you have to understand. We were only trying to--"

Remi's tears began streaming down her face.

"You're both meanies..."

With that, the girl made a run for it with the cat into the streets and past the tape and signs that said: DO NOT ENTER on the opposite alley.

The woman bit her lip and put her hood back up. With a lowered head, she cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause her to--" she started. She then bit her lip. "I mean, we need to go find her before she gets hurt. You should probably not stay in one place lonh either. Cantus magic's picked up by officers"

The girl's two hands had poked out of her cloak and were clasped together nervously. She was already going on ahead.

"Wonderful job, Liseran, you moron..." she muttered to herself.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Valen let out a tired sigh, his glazed-over eyes staring at the spot where the dog had been.

"It couldn't have been helped," he sighed. "Honestly. I wanted to avoid using my magic, but nothing good would come out of showing mercy. For now, I'll be a villain for a while."

He started down the alleyway as he talked, not giving the young lady a glance.

"So your name is Liseran?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content