Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

The Sky Garden; [Open]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The Sky Garden; [Open]  - Page 9 Empty Re: The Sky Garden; [Open]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:53 am

Jack sighed and scratched his head tiredly while his wooden hand turned a page. It seemed he regained some lei energy in the time that passed, although his wooden arm only made simple movements.

"You really like jumping assumptions, huh lil' missy?"

He idly played with the ring on his thumb, twisting it left and right for some node of activity.

"That noble girl was odd, but I doubt she 'charmed' the Expiate officers," Jack stated. "She's an eccentric one but I don't think she's as black and white as you're assuming."

The young man leaned back and read his book. It was the book he went to the library to get in the first place. The top right corner of the book had a splotch of a red stain.

"I met a guy before coming into town," he stated monotonously as he studied the text. "Wears a big coat and gauntlets. Says weird stuff like 'playing a role' or something. He told me jumping to the conclusion means you miss out on the entire story."

He peered over his book and stared at Liseran.

"That said, we're still missing most of the story," Jack stated plainly. "So missy, care to explain?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 am

Cassima seemed riled up about the aftermath of events--upset, even. Liseran sighed.

"I'm sure you two won't be in any trouble," she said reassuringly. "I, err...can make sure of it. After all, you two were just in the crossfire and didn't do anything wrong."

She particularly felt bad for Cassima. After all, she was just a young girl and had only the sincerest attention to study. Liseran wondered if she could talk to the Magistress about considering a scholarship for the girl. It might be an odd exception, but they would have reason to want to keep Cassima--they had to keep her mouth shut about what happened, after all.

Jack would chip in his own two-cents, and upon mentioning a person with a big coat and gauntlets who talked about roles, she found herself scowling at remembering a certain similar someone. The idiot hadn't even contacted her in awhile. How in Ma were they going to find out anything else about Remi's mother?

Jack's subject would quickly shift to Liseran, however, and the girl stiffened. Her face turned bright red and she looked to the side.

"I...I, uh..." she squeaked. "The book is...important to me. I couldn't let Mirai have it because I...because it was..."

As Liseran stammered, she began looking down at her lap and clutching the fabric of her skirt. Eventually, though, she let out a long sigh and frowned.

"It was my mother's," she said.

She'd pause for a moment, as if what she had revealed had been hard for her to say. Liseran looked at her palms in her lap, which revealed the smallest hairline scar along her palm.

"The book ended up going to the Sky Garden after my mother was taken---err, after she left," she said. "I came here to fetch it, and the reason I didn't want to let it go was because it was, well, hers. I'm not sure why Mirai herself wanted it, but it has no doubt to do with her own agency."

Liseran frowned.

"As surprising as this sounds, Cassima," she said. "This weird man here is right: she isn't black and white. In fact...her intentions might be less selfish than my own."

As if remembering something only now, she looked at Cassima urgently.

"You...do you still have it by any chance? The book? I'm worried my fath--err, the Chief Commander might have had it confiscated."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Well, I don't want to sound rude, but sometimes jumping to assumptions might be the right thing sometimes." Cassima pinched the bridge on her nose, feeling like she was being mean.

Cassima shrugged. "I don't think trying to kill three people over a book was less selfish, it's even more selfish, I dare say psychopathic, either way, the next time I see that woman again I'm keeping a close eye on her." Cassima pointed at one of her eyes, and then the conversation moved onto the book itself and why Liseran was after it, the book happened to belong to her mother. "Liseran...I'm sorry." She was then asked about the book, even she wasn't sure what happened to it as everything happened so fast. "The book! Oh no, everything was happening so fast, I forgot what happened to it. Jack, do you happen to know the books fate by any chance? I think you said something about it during the fight?" She looked back to Jack in slight worry, but continued to talk about Mirai briefly.

"Whatever the reason, she could have asked more nicely and maybe, just maybe we could have given the book to her, and she probably wanted it to taunt you even." Cassima felt like Mirai might be that kind of person to do so, she was not going to get on well with her if she ever saw Mirai again.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Jack closed his eyes as if in meditation, humming under his throat as Liseran explained herself. His the fingers of his right hand traced over the knuckles of his wooden arm thoughtfully. He reached back into his satchel and pulled out the book.

"Then perhaps you'll understand this note."

He flipped the book open to where it was marked, his finger tracing over the cartic runes scribbled on the corner."

"Something tells me you're the one this book is intended for," he stated, "I won't pry into your business though, missy. It's up to you to decide what you wanna do."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Liseran couldn't help but give Cassima a small smile. It had been such a long time since she had met someone who help up values so strongly, and those that were not the harsh cynicisms that she heard way too often nowadays. She had been slightly concerned when she found out the book wasn't with Cassima, but it was eventually revealed that Jack had it.

Gingerly, Liseran looked at the page with the image of the girl against a blue background of night and shadows. She once again looked at the Cartic runes. "'Tis only when I'm gone, can I be found." Despite herself, Liseran read the chapter out loud. It was a short chapter in a series of fairy tales, and rather unremarkable in itself.

The Disappearing Girl

There once was a girl who wished to disappear. Her heart broken too many times, and her whole life filled by being hated, she wished to no longer be.

One night, she decided to fulfill her wish. Going to the highest cliff by a waterfall, the girl jumped into the air and went without a sound.

The story seemed rather odd, and even dark, if one studied its implications. It was no wonder it was such an obscure fairy tale no one really knew about. It didn't make sense at all.

Finishing, Liseran's hand would hover over the Cartic runes forming a circle at the bottom part of the page glowing in bright blue. It would be here that Jack and Cassima would see something peculiar.

As Liseran hovered her hand, the circle would begin to flicker faintly before the marks itself disappeared. If they had the ability to sense Lei energy, they would not feel it transfer or fade, but merely just vanish and no longer exist in general. As Liseran did this, a portion of the page would begin to fade and reveal a thin layer peeling off that would have otherwise been damaged if destroyed manually. There, another portion of text.

On the night she decided to jump off a cliff by a waterfall, the night sky took pity on her and gently landed her into the lake below.

The water touched by the night, it took on the colors of darkness and shadows, as did the girl, and she lives unseen by others, and left alone in peace

Seeing the girl, the night sky took pity on her. With its gentle winds, it landed the girl softly into the lake below, unknowingly tainting the water with its colors.

When the girl emerged from the waters, her skin would also take on the color of the night, and her image shimmered as if she were part of the sky itself.

To this day, she lives unseen by others, her form never visible, but her presence eternally there.

Seeing the last part, Liseran's eyes widened and her hands trembled unsteadily.

"Mama..." she whispered.

When she lifted her eyes from the page, her glasses would appear to fog, and she would have to clear her throat.

"I-I err...I'm sorry," she said. "But I think I have to go."

Liseran got up from her chair, and as she did, she tossed the book in the air. Cassima and Jack would notice her pull out her bell, and without hesitation, she cast a fireball and torched it until it was nothing but ash on the floor. Liseran would then stomp on it and kick it around.

"It was a pleasure meeting you two, it really was," she said. "And I'm sorry for not having a proper explanation for you, but please know this is better."

She looked at Cassima apologetically.

"I know I said I would help you with your enrollment, but rest assured you're going to be good as in after this," she said. "And it's not just because they'll want you to keep hush about this entire incident. Your heart's in the right place, young lady, and I think with the right training, you could be a wonderful mage someday. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere today if it weren't for your help. So thank you."

She looked at Jack, a little unsure of what to say to him. Flushing at remembering all the teasing he had incurred upon her, she pouted.

"And you...if anyone's a self-sacrificing character, you are!" she said. She then sighed. "But I suppose you're a decent enough person. Thank you for your help, too--and try not to get stabbed!"

With that, Liseran rushed out the door without warning and left them alone. They wouldn't have the chance to chase after her as an officer appeared saying that the Magistress was busy and that they were no longer needed. A letter would be handed to Cassima: a letter of acceptance into the school, it appeared, and an invitation to talk to one of the faculty on a scheduled date. As for Jack, he would simply be discharged and assumed to not be associated with any of the suspicious activity that took place for the day.

It was only then that the officer would notice that the third party member was gone. Eyes widening, he'd curse.

"Dammit, she's not here!" he said. "They're going to kill me!"

And would soon rush out causing panic. It was unsure what had just happened, but it was apparent that whatever Liseran had done was causing concern. That said, the two would not see her around the academy again, and the only remnant of her presence was the ash that now slowly settled on the floor, barely discernible from the rest of the dust. It was as if she had disappeared like the night, herself.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:55 am

Cassima sat close to Liseran and watched her read the story. Although she had already read it back at the Sky Garden, thanks to Liseran's magic there were able to get another series of texts which Liseran began to read, however, she soon began to tremble and Cassima realised that the girl in the story could possibly be Liseran's mother. "That girl in the story, could she have been your mother?" Cassima moved beside Liseran, however it seemed that she wanted to leave, much to Cassima's disappointment. But she smiled when she said that she would make a great mage one day.

"Why thank you, I hope to see you again sometime soon." Liseran soon left and soon Cassima herself was given a letter by an officer who quickly entered the room. When Cassima read the letter she jumped up at her chair in happiness over finally being accepted in the academy. "YES, I GOT IN. MY DREAM IS COMING TRUE AND IT WAS MY FIRST TRY!" Cassima yelled at the top of her lungs and tried to hug Jack, not only is her dream coming true, but now she was one step closer with reaching her second goal as to why she was here. She jumped from her chair and turned towards Jack once more, wanting to shake his wooden hand before departing to get ready to find a proper home near the academy.

"Thank you for your help today at the library Jack, I hope we shall meet again. I find you to be a nice person to hang around with and you were quite helpful back in the library." Cassima smiled at her second new friend.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:02 pm