Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

The Sky Garden; [Open]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The Sky Garden; [Open]  Empty The Sky Garden; [Open]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 am

Perhaps the most beautiful of the cities in Aldmerrow was its capital, Estermount. Estermount, considered the founding grounds of Cartic study, was home to many structures dedicated to learning. Old royal castles had been converted into academies, museums with wide circular domes, intricate columns and arches stood as testaments of the Cartic war that took place centuries back, and libraries could be found all over town.

Perhaps one of the most beautiful libraries was that known as the Sky Garden. An annex of the Cartic Academy, the Sky Garden was a tall cylindrical building just offways from the institution, and one made their way to it by passing through an orchard of apples. On the inside of the Sky Garden was a spiral stair case winding all the way end, with each level leading to a new set of books. On the very top was a beautiful botanical garden with glass serving as its walls so one could look down on Estermount from above.

Despite all its beauty, however, the Sky Garden was rarely visited. Aside from the ridiculous number of stairs, the place was rumored to be haunted. There had been rumors that a strange spirit lived there. A faire person who granted wishes in exchange for a piece of one's soul.

Liseran stood at the bottom of the Sky Garden surrounded in complete darkness. For a place dedicated to reading, the area didn't have much lighting. In fact, the only light seemed to pour down from the garden above. The violet-haired girl pulled out a small paper from her pocket which had scribbled writing on it.

"Thirteenth book of the thirteenth shelf," she murmured.

Taking off her heavy cloak and hooking it on the nearby coat rack, Liseran started trudging up the stair case with a small lamp. Her image akin to a ghost along the hallowed steps.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The Sky Garden; [Open]  Empty Re: The Sky Garden; [Open]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:23 am

After spending her first few days enjoying the festival, Cassima decided that it was finally time to try and enrol at the Cartic Academy and so arrived quickly to the academy, looking at it in pure wonder of having reached this far. Now all she needed to do was to enrol...Somehow. That involved talking to people that she doesn't know. Cassima isn't sure how she'll act when she meets someone that's different than her, but she might as well try to introduce herself to someone. She walked towards a student standing by a nearby tree and quietly prepared to talk.

"Ahem." The student turned towards her as Cassima introduced herself. "Excuse me mam, do you know how I can enrol in this fine academy?" She said out loud, causing a few other students to take note of Cassima's appearance. Cassima gulped in embarrassment before turning towards building to the Sky Garden and ran towards it, deciding to take refuge in the building until she can find someone that would actually talk to her. She reached the door and entered it quickly.

Shortly after closing the door, Cassima turned and was amazed at the sight of the books in the building. "Oh, my...Heavens." Cassima moved back towards the door, looking about the building in delight. "I died and went to an afterlife. Is this...A library?" As Cassima scanned the dark area, and by scanning she meant that she tried to look around, but the only thing she could barely see was a figure heading upwards near the garden a top of the staircase. "Umm, excuse me," Cassima called out to the girl, taking one step forward on the staircase as she tried to get the figure's attention.

"Hello, can you spare a minute or two of conversation?" Cassima decided to lower her voice so she doesn't upset Liseran like she did before with the student she met by the tree.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Upon reaching the targeted shelf, Liseran traced her finger along the hardbound volumes looking for what she wanted. Midway, however, she heard a quiet voice asking a question.

The Carta graduate raised her lamp a little higher to look at the inquirer, the Cartic marks within the lamp burning brightly and emitting a blue glow that emphasized Liseran's forget-me-not eyes behind her glasses.

"Oh, hello," she said nonchalantly. "What may I help you with? Are you lost?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Cassima briefly slipped when she managed to get Liseran's attention, but she quickly stood back up properly so she wouldn't let Liseran think that she was clumsy or anything. She took a few steps upward to get closer to Liseran, eventually seeing her eyes and the lamp which she was amazed at. "Hi, I need help with so---Cassima looked back at the lamp again, admiring it's glowing blue flame. She wanted to touch it, but knew she would burn her hand or since it was most likely magical, it could do something else to her hand, something even worse then simply burning it.

"You seem to have created a nice flame inside that lamp of yours." She turned her sights back to Liseran. "Did you create this with cartic magic? You did great if you did. I never have seen a lamp that glowed blue before." Cassima seemed impressed, but she needed to focus on a more important subject then Liseran's lamp. "However, I must ask about enrolling in this marvellous school that this building is a part of. For you see, I have a travelled a long way in reaching this school and I do believe I have potential into becoming." Cassima had trouble, worried that she'll be rejected and this trip would have been all for nothing.

"Uhh...A cartic mage." Cassima then decided to point out numerous skills related to the magic that she knows about. "I've read tons of books about cartic magic and I have even learned how to brew." Cassima slightly perked up before she begrudgingly admitted. "But unfortunately, I do not know any people here that can help me. I saw you just now with the lamp and I wondered if you were friendly enough to give me information on enrolment if such a thing is possible right now? Given the festival." Cassima asked Liseran, expecting a positive answer after her long journey.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

As Liseran listened to the wanderer who happened upon the library, she felt the slightest bit of irritation. She had come her in hopes of accomplishing something alone, and something she could not really do with other people around. Granted, upon seeing the girl light up as she talked about the Cartic marks of her lamp (pun not intended), she couldn't help but smile a little. She listened as the girl told her about her situation and her interest in attending the Aldmerrian school. She definitely looked interested enough, and that was enough for Liseran to descend down the stairs to meet the girl halfway.

"Yes, it's Carta, she said answering the girl's question. "A rather basic spell, to be honest. It beats carrying a fire hazard around a haven for paper, at least. As for your enrollment, I'm afraid I'm not one of the academy facilitators, but I'm familiar with the place and would be more than happy to redirect you to the people you need."

Liseran gave the girl a once-over. Now that she was in front of her, she recognized the girl as the same one from the masquerade ball: thin as a pole, frizzled hair, traveling clothes, annoyingly just shorter than her by two inches despite being much older than her. She felt a slight hesitance to linger too long, lest she be recognized herself, but she supposed that wasn't a matter of importance as she was wearing a mask that day. Liseran looked at the girl directly.

"I'm afraid enrollment took place last autumn, but I do understand that given certain circumstances you could be let into classes if you're willing to do the catching up," she said. "Granted, I'd say that's the least of your concerns. You mentioned traveling far. Have you rested at all? Eaten, perhaps? And then there's the matter of organizing the proper documents for enrollment and the starting fees."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"That spell was amazing." Cassima admired Liseran's spell. She nodded soon after. "Yes, I would like to see someone about enrollment if it is possible." Cassima couldn't wait to get started, although her fears about getting into the school, became a reality when she found out that she was a few seasons too late to attend this school, at least not right now. Cassima thinks it will be awhile before this school start's to enrol people like her again. Hope flickered when she was also told that she could still join in certain circumstances.

"Oh, yes, I would gladly catch up. I will spend many days and nights studying and practising to catch up to people in class. if I get into this school then I'll try my best to not let anyone down." Cassima's brow raised. "But, how does one enrol here late, what do you mean by certain circumstances?" The subject about getting into the academy was now changed to Cassima's state after she got to Estermount since Liseran was kind enough to tell her about enrolling in this school. Cassima felt like it was time to relax a little bit.

"Oh, I slept at an inn not too far from here for a couple of days, although I don't have much money now so I might have to leave it soon. I spent most of my money on a mask I bought the masquerade ball at the festival and I don't think I can pay to stay two or more nights at the inn," Cassima confessed, she wasn't too worried about staying in the streets. It wasn't the first time she slept outside.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 am

"Yoooo! Is someone down here?"

An energetic, youthful boyish voice called out. A distance away was a shimmering ball of light floating around and drawing closer to the two girls. Attached to the ball of light seemed to be a rustling sheet of ragged swamp green cloth. As it grew closer, the girls can makeout the features of a young boy with blonde hair. The traveler's cape he wore was tied to his neck with a rope. The floating ball that followed him was a single rune that radiated a ball of light around him.

"Geez, can't you guys attach some lanterns around here? I ran in random directions in the woods and still manage to make it back to my campfire, but I've been lost down here all morning."

The blonde youth's right arm appeared from under his cloak and scratched his head as he made a tired expression.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 am

The smallest wrinkle formed on Liseran's brow upon hearing about the girl's situation. Her circumstances seemed dire at best; perhaps a little better than a street beggar, but less than a house helper. There was also the matter of her tuition, school materials, books...It hurt Liseran even more when she learned that the mask the girl had been coaxed into buying at the festival took up most of her sums. She partially wondered how the girl came upon such a tragic state.

"I see..." she said, her thumbs now twiddling together in apprehension. "I'm not going to lie. Your situation seems--"

Before she could be the bearer of bad news, a shout came from above. Instinctively, Liseran's hand went to the handle of one of her bells, but stopped from getting into any bellicose position upon seeing the young man above.

How in Mä was this man here and why hadn't she noticed him before? Liseran was beginning to think whatever plans she had for her time in the Sky Garden were dead.

"E-excuse me, sir," she said trying to steady her voice. Liseran straightened up and spoke again, this time with more formality and rigidity. "This building is academy grounds. Unless you have business with the school, you should not be here. Please come down this instance."

Without hesitating, Liseran pulled out her bell from its bandolier and struck it in the air. A clear, high-pitched ring sounded before emitting a floating glyph above the Cartic mage. From it, several strings of light shot out and would light lamps along the spiral staircase that previously couldn't be seen in the dark. Both the young man and Cassima would now see the interior clearly: spiral staircases and balconies of polished wood surrounded by walls lined with books.

She looked back at Cassima.

"Miss, I suggest you stay behind me as the odd man comes down."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 am

Cassima gulped as quietly as possible when Liseran spoke again. Cassima tensed, wanting Liseran to finish her sentence. "What...My situation seem's good?" Cassima hoped she meant that, but she knew she was going to say something negative like "dire" or "bad" She turned to where Liseran was looking to see a blonde boy floating upwards towards the girls. Cassima gasped in surprise, fascinated by the boy floating. "You can float, that's so amazing. May it perhaps be something to do with that orb of light that is floating behind you?" Cassima pointed to the orb, she wondered if it was a rune that was mentioned in her grandmother's books.

She stood behind Liseran, not wanting to annoy another student at this academy and once she did she looked back at the boy. "Are you even a student here? You sound like you came a long way, like me." She asked the boy, but she turned to Liseran soon after. "He does kind of have a point, there's not much light in this library, except for that light that's on top of these stairs. Someone could easily slip and fall down these stairs to there certain death via neck injury because of the darkness or at the very least, fail to find the book that they came to find." Cassima looked around, she finally noticed that there wasn't even anyone here.

"Wait, how are we the only three here? This is a library, I thought cartic mages love to study to there hearts content. This library should be filled with dozens of people like you looking for books about, magic, runes and alchemy." Cassima soon began to admire the lights that Liseran shot out, she wondered that if she finds a way to get into this academy. Would this be one of the first few spells that she would learn?

She hoped so. Cassima lived in darkness for so long, it was a relief to find people who had...Light.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:30 am

"Floating?" The young man tilted his head to the side in a questioning gesture. Now that the place as a little better lit, the girls can see he was just climbing down one of the library ladders. When he got about ten feet from the ground he hopped off and landed on the grounded with a solid thud sounding as his boots hit the floor.

"Easy, easy, I have a guess pass to be here and- OY! WHO'S THE ODD MAN??"

When he got closer, the ball of light floating next to him flickered before extinguishing. What was left was a thumb-sized stone with a rune etched on it that broke down into dust.

"I'm just here trying to do some research, that's all. Just because I'm a country bumpkin doesn't make me odd..."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am