A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

When the Pistols are Hanged [Open]

Lilac
    Admin

When the Pistols are Hanged [Open]

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:43 am

Note: This thread is an import from the old Zetaboards site. The original thread can be found here

"Do be mindful next time you use the axe, sir. Putting too much force in it will weaken the head's grip!" Goibniu said, informing a villager about proper woodcutting axe handling. Said axe was meant to be delivered to the villager by Esarg, but given how Goibniu was free at the time, so the job fell on him, a proposition he gladly accepted. Since he was an Expiate officer now, he had to give up his previous work as blacksmith assitant, and sometimes replacement, so that he wouldn't be overwhelmed by having two time consuming jobs at once, but every now and them, he was willing to help his dad with minor things, such as forging a smaller piece of a bigger work, or just making deliveries.

Today, he needed to deliver a woodcutter axe, which needed it's head to be reattached after an incident using it. According to Esarg, the villager payed in advance, meaning all he needed to do was merely deliver it. The villager rolled his eyes and waved at him in a dismissing motion, before giving him a short thanks. Goibniu, being too polite and a bit too distracted to notice, only heard the departure message, and waved back at the man, before turning around and walking away.

The early afternoon granted Leiger a beautiful sunny day, it wasn't exactly hot, but it was warm enough for people to wear something comfortable and light. In the case of Goibniu, his brown vest and goggles was nowhere to be seen, as his white shirt had it's sleeves rolled-up. His more familiar set up consisting of brown pants, black boots and black right glove were still present, but Goibniu was definitely not bothered by his attire, as he eventually made his way towards the central area of the city, were a large water fountain was located. People would usually contemplate it's harmonious sight, while others would seek luck by tossing a coin or two, and occasionally, an urchin would seek refreshment by drinking from it's waters or outright jumping into the thing, leaving it up to the nearby guard to take them out.

As his eyes fell upon the fountain however, he felt it was the perfect spot for reading. When he wasn't busy with his job or his personal work, and wasn't feeling like practicing his firing skills, Goibniu liked to read. It was peaceful, recreational, and most importantly, you could learn a thing or two!

Well... Maybe not in this case, as the book he had in his inventory was one of those collections of short stories, with various genres and various authors participating. It was even small, which was practical! All Goibniu needed to do was reach from his pocket, and take it out. And so he did, sitting at the edge of the fountain, the gentle sound of running water behind him blocking out the quiet, but constant murmur of the people around him.

Last edited by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: When the Pistols are Hanged [Open]

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 am

Violet came to the fountain with two jars; one empty, and one full of a lightly glowing, dark blue liquid. She'd recently added a small number of focusing ingredients to her water element control potion, and was itching to test it out. Violet, long ago, had decided it was best to test non-illegal potions such as this in public, as their effects looked remarkably like Cantus, and it would be much easier to prove that it wasn't if she wasn't discovered doing it in some secluded area.

So, coming up to the fountain, she leaned over and scooped a small amount of water into the empty jar, which she then screwed a lid onto. Then she took a quick swig of the potion, which now tasted slightly like cinnamon and orange peels, and waited a moment for the effects to take place. She sat down next to a man who seemed absorbed in his book.

After casting a thought towards the water in the jar, it exploded, shooting glass and water into the immediate vicinity. Spluttering, swearing, and bleeding, Violet glanced at the man (whose book she'd managed to keep from getting wet, if not he himself) and said, "Well that worked."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 am

As Goibniu read his book in peace, out of the corner of his eye he saw what seemed to be a woman holding a couple of jars. He couldn't tell if they were filled or not, or what her intention was, but he did hear the sound of someone submerging something in the fountain, so perharps one of the jars was empty? Out of curiosity, he turned his head and saw that the woman was now sitting next to him, holding a jar full of water.

"Ah, good afternoon ma-" He began giving her a greeting, but suddenly, the jar of water exploded! He let out a gasp of surprise as he used one of his arms to cover himself, and putting the book out of reach, as the water splashed him and the bits of glass caused him to suffer a few cuts. Nothing big or painful, but they stinged. Not to mention they'll stain with his blood.

"Egads! What in tarnation just happened??" He asked to the lady, completely confused about her words. 'that worked'? What worked?

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 am

Violet pulled a pink vial from her pocket, handed it to the man, and said "Alchemy experiment, I apologize. I didn't expect it to work quite so well. Here, this'll heal up the cuts." She took out her own vial and sipped it. This one tasted sweet and fruity, "I'm Violet Fletcher, by the way. My sincerest apologies, again."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 am

When she gave him a small vial of some sort, and explained her intentions, Goibniu's eyes widdened in surprise. An alchemy experiment? But aren't those supposed to be illegal? What was she doing working on something like that so openly? Looking at the vial with confusion, he merely asked "But, what are you doing experimenting in public? Someone could get hurt badly!" It wasn't like he didn't appreciate the apology, he was just completely stunned by her audacity. Or should he say 'disregard'?

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:47 am

Violet shook her head. "I took an incredibly small dose. Honestly, I'm astounded that it broke through the glass at all. Honestly, just... Astounded. And I experiment publicly because what I do looks a lot like Cantus, and I don't want to make it look like I'm doing something illegal, you know? Those Expiate will jail someone on the smallest suspicion, even if they can prove without a doubt that they're not Walpurgi." She tried, with only little success, to keep bitterness out of her voice.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Her response didn't do much to alleviate his perplexion. In fact, it may have only grown. Performing an illegal act, and even admitting that she wasn't away it was going to go too right for her own good? It may sound like his bias talking, given how his own field of weaponry is also filled with trial-and-error, but now he was becoming more aware with why such a craft was made unavailable.

And he was holding a vial that's meant to "heal" him. The last thing he wanted was to grow skin to thick he'd turn into a tree, but he couldn't just reject a gift like that, it'd be very rude! So he merely stored it in his pocket as she went on about the Expiate. Sure enough, someone else against it, although at this point he should have expected it, what with her practicing alchemy and whatnot, it wouldn't be surprising if she had Walpurgis connections that facilitated her adquicition of whatever ingredients she used for this concoction.

"But... What you performed was alchemy, correct? Isn't such a craft meant to be..." He started, before turning his head around to see if there was someone nearby, then whispered "Illegal?" before returning to his normal tone. "Not only that, if it has caused confusion between that and Cantus, shouldn't it be preferable if you did it in a more private setting?" You know, where she can't hurt someone?

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Violet was startled that he had ideas of how the legality of particular magics in this area; the laws surrounding alchemy were so location-varied that the only reason Violet ever learned any of it was because she was practicing. "I've got the papers and stuff, it's what I do for a living."

As to his second question, Violet wasn't just worried about being walked in on while practicing that looked like Cantus, she also liked to practice legal alchemy in public occasionally to alleviate some suspicion from her performing Life Alchemy. But she wasn't going to tell him that.

"Well, I kind of like... If someone walked in on me performing this magic, they might think I'm using Cantus, and would report it; whereas no one would be stupid enough to perform Cantus in a public setting, so they'd assume that I wasn't. By the way," she gestured at his pocket, "I didn't poison that. I can drink from it to prove it, if you want."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Well, she did say she had papers, and he wasn't the Alchemy Officer, he was just an Expiate Officer. He still had his doubts, perhaps it was made legal under his nose? He didn't know, since alchemy wasn't something he really payed attention. The only kind of 'alchemy' he knew was how to make a delicious stew after all! ("Ho ho!")

And then, Violet logic-ed her way out of his argument, presenting something that, in a way, did sound rather, well, sound. The only kind of Cantus activity he has seen in such a setting was someone outright trying to attack innocent people, and it didn't seem like she was hurling grenades made out of toxic sludges, so maybe she did have a point. "But still, like you mentioned, you didn't expect your mix to react in such a violent way. What if you work on something that might accidentally level half a city?" He asked, before she pointed out how he blatantly displayed a horrible act of distrust by not drinking the supposed medicine.

"Well, how do I know this will cause the expected result? I do not wish to grow a third arm, Madam Fletcher, not even if it proves to be handy." He said, pun completely not intended. ("Ho ho!")

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:48 am

Violet cringed at the man's humor. "Well... See, this potion is one that I've worked on for a while; it gives me control over an element, in this case water, for a limited period of time. What I was testing, I added some ingredients that allow you to focus a lot harder than you usually could; it just allocates more brain power to whatever particular thing you're thinking about. It's a branch I've not explored too extensively, so even though I had all the numbers and such, I underestimated the amount of focus it would give me. Honestly, what just happened was literal worst case scenario; that was as violent an explosion I'd be able to make... On accident, at least."

"That potion, on the other hand, is a potion that's been tried and tested for years. I've tested it on norms, Caric mages, even a Walpurgi or two. And, of course, Enkidu. It won't make you grow a handy third arm, rest assured."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:42 pm