A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Meeting Arc Pt. 1 [Padexin/Nightclaw- Closed]

Lilac
    Admin

Meeting Arc Pt. 1 [Padexin/Nightclaw- Closed]

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:37 am

Note: This thread is an import from the old Zetaboards site. The original thread can be found here.

Around midday in the city of Leiger, many of the large businesses and such dismiss their clerks and business-people to lunch, and it has become fashionable to find oneself walking the broadstreet bisecting the city north-southways, and picking some quaint little restaurant to eat at for lunch. Others will peruse the shops and storefronts and such in order to find some new fashionable gadget or trinket for their wives and husbands, finding it fashionable to buy such baubles somewhat frequently to display their culture and the ease with which they spend money. Still others originate instead from the Lēi powerplant, being lower-class clerks and downright poor workmen, and themselves walk the same broadstreet to find many of the upper middle class eating in the very same restaurants that they dine in nightly, being too poor to afford the restaurants that the richer patrons might be more comfortable with or to shop the stores that generally serviced these folks.

It was in this climactic swirl of rich and poor, prim and grime, that Hugo found himself outside a machinist shop in downtown Leiger, holding a box full of various metallic scraps and such which he had gotten for free from the machinist, who was friends with Violet and somewhat sympathetic to Alchemy and such regardless. The box was pretty heavy, and so he found himself with a crate of metal scrap slung over his shoulder, with 6 or 7 coats flapping in the wind at his waist, being only attached to him by their belts and such, and looking quite the bizarre state amongst businesspeople and gentlefolk who found an afternoon shopping trip to be quite fashionable, while still being out of place amongst the workmen who ogled his many coats and well shaved and groomed fashion.

As he made his way to the train station to catch an afternoon train back to Ostermont, he picked up a couple of curious onlookers, the rich and fashionable who seriously questioned his fashion which challenged the upper class style of layered clothing and careful grooming with the roughness of work and practicality and was quite engaging besides, and the poor who wondered at where a man accepting free scrap from a machinist and lugging it by hand all the way down broadstreet found a cheap and well-versed tailor, and all were ignored besides a young man about 8 years his junior, who simple asked him a few denars.

"Howsit sir! Would you like a shine? How about some help with that box? Can I carry your coats, huh? Patch your socks?" he began. Hugo simply gave him a rough shove, and told him to get on. The boy was persistent, besides. "Sir," He began again, "I'm making an honest living, but you know I ain't got any parents and such." Hugo continued to ignore him. "See, I just got to eat, alrigh-"

Hugo laughed harshly, so bad that it sounded more like an animal bark than so a laugh, and he replied, "Look kid, you know I'm out of town, but you don't think I saw the kitchen up the street? You can eat your fill and some besides in a town like this." Sure enough, just up a way was a soup kitchen, and at around this time you could smell the jowl and pig ass they used to make stock with.

"Well, alright mister, I'm trying to get something for a girl, alright?" The boy was pleading, "You know I'm too poor to get her something nice now that all these Richie Rich folks are buying at the stores around here." The truth came out, and it was something that broke past Hugo's guard at that moment.

It would have been fairly easy to reconcile it as a lie, but instead he abruptly stopped, dug around in his pants for his wallet, and handed about a quarter of his savings (which came to like, 20 denars.) to the boy, who stood there stunned as Hugo explained, "I hope you make her real happy with this." He roughly shoved the boy again, who was still speechless, "Now go on, get the hell out of here!"

In order to get to the station, he had to duck into a couple side streets, with rudely constructed wooden buildings, as opposed to the moulded brick of the broadstreet. He smiled that his congregation quickly dissipated as he took these poorer streets, the business people being afraid and the tradesmen being hungry, and pressed on unafraid and sated. (in reality he was practically starving, but he wasn't ready to spend any more than a quarter of his fucking savings on this trip.)

The buildings around him, as I said, were somewhat rude and many didn't have windows so much as holes cut out with sills so rough they may as well have been beaten out with hammers as much as sawed away. Many of the poorer set outside on their porches, one of the only upswings of poor property value being that it became affordable to have a wide space, and chewed or smoked tobacco as they chewed the cud. Few looked like they had jobs on a lazy day like this with no major trains arriving or any riverboats in the suburbs. Hugo made a point to take this route in order to see what such people lived like. His own stint as an urban poor lasted 2 days before he got drunk and accidentally found a home for himself as a bachelor living with 2 intelligent and attractive women, and he figured that was... not normal.

Most of them seemed either content (if not happy) or with varying degrees of resignation. One young man laid himself across the middle of the street, entirely prostrate on his back with his eyes closed and his hands interlaced over his chest. Excepting for only the intermittened rise and fall of his chest, he showed no signs whatsoever of being alive. Hugo figured that a man could lay like that for many hours on a road like this- who would drive through such poverty on their way to work? and besides the daily commute, what man would drive through such an unfashionable neighborhood, excepting of course a resident, but those few being so poor to begin with and having nowhere else to drive anyway, it's possible these pavements felt the touch of a tire or hoove about as often as the moon felt a woman's kind touch- not unheard of, but rather unlikely. Overall, Hugo considered this place tragic before ever being any sort of dangerous, and smiled happily at the young man who lay there, just before being snatched off and thrown on the ground and beaten senseless.

When he was roughly pulled from the ground, and set down in a chair, and had his legs bound to the feet, and the feet bound to a lightpost, he found himself face to face with about 7 men. They wore masks or looked utterly forgettable, being average height, average build, short brown hair, with average work cloths, excepting of course one man, and one man alone. He grabbed Hugo roughly around the neck, and pulled his jaw down while his head was tied to the back of the post. The man tied a rope around the pole behind his head, and tied it in the middle of his jaw, so that he couldn't close his mouth. Then, the man pulled out a grey stick, rolled paper with crimped ends; Hugo saw it and was immediately sure that he would die in a horrible way. He pulled a small fuse out of his pocket, and poke it into one of the crimped ends, and pressed it into Hugo's mouth as tears of anger and fear ran down his cheeks.

The man finally, finally spoke, saying, "You'll do what I say, or I'll blow your god damn jaw off, and tell the police about you and your little illegal mage girlfriends. They'll break down your doors, take you and tie you up in a place a hundred times worse than this back alley, and beat you and scream at you until you confess. And don't you think for a second that they'll accept no for an answer, Hugo, they can't test for Alchemy like they can for Cantus." Hugo stood stock still, his stomach dropped right the way out of his gut. The man simply smiled, a small and otherwise warm smile if not for the circumstance, which made it ever so grim. He took out a small kerosene lighter, and lit the fuse. It burned slowly, and flecks of accelerant burned against his cheeks as his time literally burned away. The fuse, a small thing though it was, burned with a fury of the desert sun as Hugo struggled to think of something to do. It had burned about halfway when Hugo finally broke down, and shook his head until the man killed the flame. The man stuck a note in his front pocket, and left him as the other men cut him down and stood there as he retched and gagged and cried on the ground. It was the second time in his entire life that Hugo had ever felt like he'd been beaten, utterly outclassed.

The rest of the trip home was a relative calm, but no part of it felt calming. Hugo was a horrible gyre of anger, fear, regret, and sadness. He wanted to scream and punch something, or otherewise explain to someone who would listen that he'd been beat, or figure out how he'd been beat, or do something. Instead, he had to sit quietly and be polite to people and carry his crate of supplies all the way up town from the train station as he smoldered with disgust and anger.

He finally got home, and unlocked the door with his key, and set his box on a table near the door, and set about the like 20 minute job of undoing all his coats and unpacking them and such. He found a bunch of bananas like 5 coats in, and stress ate like half a god damn bunch of bananas. He got some queer looks from his housemates, who're both home. When he turned around, and showed the bruises and splits and such that ran up and down his legs and arms, they gasped in alarm, and so he finally explained. He told them what had happened, how he'd almost died, and told them that they knew that he and violet were practicing, and that he had to go or else extremely awful things would happen to all of them. He didn't make it a question.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Meeting Arc Pt. 1 [Padexin/Nightclaw- Closed]

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 am

After seeing his generally destroyed body, Violet ran to her room, and Tourmaline grabbed a paper, on which she began writing at an absurd pace. Violet ran back in, holding a potion that Hugo would recognize as healing, and handed it to him. "Drink that, okay?"

Violet glanced at Tourmaline, and was silent for a split second before yelling, "Tourmaline!"

Tourmaline jumped, causing a great line of pencil to fly across whatever she was writing. "What? What?"

"Say something, you social--!" Violet went red in the face, apparently unable to think of anything to say.

Tourmaline appeared stricken, glancing quickly at Violet, then to Hugo. "Hugo, I-I... We didn't know this wou-would happen, I swear. I... I should've seen it coming. I don't kn- know what to say except I'm sorry." She indeed seemed quite close to tears. "I don't want you to go."

Violet's scowl deepened. "But of course we understand if that's what you need. However, as Tourmaline said, we should have seen this coming. And now that we know it's a threat, we can protect you."

Tourmaline nodded violently, grabbing her paper. "That-- That's what I was doing, here. Enchantments, transfigurations, and magic shields that I should've placed on you when you decided to live with us." The enchantments were some of the most powerful Tourmaline had formulated, as well as the transfigurations.

Violet's cheeks were still beet red from anger, but she looked at Tourmaline with a bit more understanding, then back to Hugo. "We're powerful mages, and we can protect you. But I understand if you don't trust us. Do what you need to do. Don't make the decision yet, though; sleep on it. We can cast protections on the house until you decide." It would consume at least one of their two mediums to dedicate protections to the house, but it would be best if Hugo felt safe.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 am

He remained silent for the entire time that they talked, and virtually motionless as well. It felt like a dream. It was all so chaotic, moving around him, and he was confused by it all. People talking, and moving, and such. Whenever they finally stopped talking, he managed to come to his senses. He took the potion, he drank it, and he sat down. He knew what he had to do.

"Listen." he gravely began, "I don't want either of you to do anything. It's my fault, so I'll handle it. I've dealt with a lot of dangerous people in my life, you know." he sighed, and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "I don't think that magic is the way out of this. He knew about all of us, right? So obviously he's part of the expiate, or at least connected. [small]Christ almighty...[/small] I'm just going to figure out what he wants, and then- just go from there, alright?" Looking up at them, neither of them looked at all reassured. He wanted to give them something, you know, for being so cautious and worrying about him, so he gave him the smallest hint of a smile. Shameless. "You trust me, right guys?"

[ooc: END OF THREAD]

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:06 am