A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Touring the City [Closed]

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Touring the City [Closed]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 am

Tourmaline said, "Like I said, I'm sorry I kept it from you. You can ask me any questions about my previous life as a Walpurgi, I have no secrets there. As to the Expiate, you can never be too careful. I've heard stories that they have undercover agents."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Hugo was very tired of this topic, it just made him hurt right in his pride. "ANYWAY, what do you do for fun in this place? All I've seen you do is sleep and work." He slyly smiled, "And drink." He looked around at a couple shops, as the continued to the taco shop. "I get the feeling you live a kinda spartan life, actually." Peering through the window of a clothing store, he observed, "That's the same blouse you wore yesterday, and there's still a beer stain on it."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline looked at her blouse. Sure enough. "Mostly I like to practice magic? I'm also a musician, but I haven't gotten to play in a little while." She had no idea what "Spartan life" meant.

"Yeah honestly, most of what I do is sleep and work. And as you say, drink. Besides, I didn't have to do anything particularly noteworthy today, so I didn't change clothes. Sue me."

That's when Tourmaline got an idea. "Oh, you know what?" Quickly, she weaved a spell, which first created another blouse, then placed the blouse within a transformation spell that she attached to the current, dirty one. She then activated the spell, which instantly switched the two, letting her have a clean shirt. "Happy?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 am

Hugo rolled his eyes so hard they might've rolled out of his head. "The blouse isn't my point, Tourmaline." He sighed. "What I mean is that, you know, we're surrounded everywhere by opportunity, and excitement, and... you know, stuff." When he gets excited, Hugo tends to gesticulate wildly, as he is now, making wide sweeping gestures punctuated by sharp slaps and claps and such with his hands. It gives him this wild, excitable look that most people tend to shy from in polite conversation. Not that Hugo knows what 'polite' means.

"Look," he pointed at a young man who was standing on a street corner. "Who is that guy?" The strange look he got was pretty predictable, but he continued. "No I mean, who is he? Who is he?" The look of confusion was turning into a look of dismissal. "Nooooo. Okay. Okay." He stood still and drew a blank expression for a few seconds as he thought. "Alright. Okay. He's like, a guy, right? He's got stuff going on. You know, you're an illegal mage, I'm an illegal mage, maybe he is too, right? But- but beyond that, he's got a job, right? He's got a favorite grocery store, right? He's got hobbies and such, and he knows people, and he's got a bar he goes to so he can unwind, and in all those places he knows people, right?" Maybe his point was becoming clear.

"I'm saying, you guys talk about change, but you don't talk to people about change. You're complacent. You're okay with just sitting around playing music-" he mimed playing a violin because it seemed the most appropriate. Tourmaline just looks like a violin kinda girl. "Practicing magic, and all." He made a sort of exasperated wave with his hand. "You don't even waste your time properly." So this tangent actually had a point? Crazy. "Instead of forfeiting your right to change the world by doing something fun, like breaking horses or mailing anthracis cultures to people, you just sit around doing basic shit like music and getting drunk."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline was somewhat inflamed. Not only did it seem as though Hugo was questioning her tactics of advocacy, he was also insulting two things that she found incredibly fulfilling. She said, with a small amount of exasperation, "But who are you to say that what I do is any more basic than what you do?"

A brief moment of pause, and she started again, "That is to say, why is... Breaking horses, or mailing cultures inherently better than practicing magic or, or playing music? Besides, she glanced around quickly to see if anyone was listening in before continuing more quietly:

"You've no idea what it's been like for me! So what if you practice illegal magic? Do you have papers that say so? Do you have this... This shadow of government hanging over you constantly? And not even for something I'd done! I didn't kill people, I didn't even use Cantus on people at all. I was born, and then I was instantly pegged a criminal and maniac."

Tourmaline spoke a bit louder again. "But that's not the point. The point is, if music makes me happy, if magic makes me happy, why is it your job to tell me I'm doing it wrong? If you find horses or cultures fulfilling, great, awesome, do that! Meanwhile, I'll do my music and magic and be satisfied."

Sort of to prove her point, she cast another quick spell that circled around their heads and played a few bars of music.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"In your excitement, you missed the point." He sighed and crossed his arms and tapped his foot impatiently while he waited for her to get the point. When that didn't happen, he came out and said it, "I mean, exactly that. Literally, entirely, completely what you just said is 100% accurate, and that's my entire point." He continued walking down the street as he explained. "You know you, and you know that you yourself live this way, with this 'shadow of government' cast over you, and you must know that others live this way."

He pointed over his shoulder with his thumb, at the man still waiting at the street corner. "That guy is totally sealed, you can see it in everything about him, his posture, the way he's looking around. He's been eyeing us both up and down since we came down, and that couple there, and that guy there too. He keeps his eye out, because he's had to live that way. But instead of approaching him and talking to him about it, you think to yourself 'aw, how sad, it's horrible that this could happen.' and then go on to merrily forget about him, his plight, and the basic form of his silhouette." He smiled at her, warmly, which set sharply against the nearly antagonistic tone that he was taking with her.

That's not fair. His tone wasn't entirely antagonistic, but it was certainly challenging, in every sense of the word. All at once, the words which came spinning from his mouth at breakneck pushed inward against her every social and mental barrier, and intended to stab directly at that principle part of her- her hurt. But in and of themselves, they didn't- or weren't meant to- bring hurt on their own. Instead, when he spoke, he thought of himself as pushing her roughly down a path she was already ready in every other way to walk. This was driven home by his final statement. "The fact that you will be satisfied playing music and doing magic is precisely the hurt that is inflicted on this world and will never be fixed until you set it upon yourself- and nobody else- to fix it."

He again smiled warmly. "But anyway, look's like we're here." he pointed at the sign, 'Mamá's tacos e tomalés' "This is the taco place, right?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline narrowed her eyes, close to casting every destructive spell she knew on this man. "And it's up to me to fix it, is it? It's my job to sacrifice everything I wanted to be, everything I could be, to fix the system? I'm not a hero, Hugo. I'm not one of those people who will go down in history as being exceptionally brave, or kind, or smart. I just want to live."

"Maybe you're strong enough to be one of those people. I don't know you well enough. Violet is. My uncle was. I'm not." Tourmaline knew she was throwing herself an enormous pity party, but Hugo was driving her insane. "I'm a coward. But don't forget that I'm the coward nice enough to help train you, and feed you, and house you."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:41 am

"How could I ever, you're paying for the tacos." He smiled, cleverly breaking the tension, or failing horribly. He walked in the door without replying, and ordered a table for duos mecenas. The silence continued unbroken as they sat down, having been lead to a booth. They were quickly brought water until a waiter could serve them. It smelled vaguely like limes.

He took a deep breath, and continued like nothing had happened in the mean time. "You don't have to be brave, or smart, or cool, or charming, or attractive, or anything in order to change the world. You just need a lot of friends. You have a right to non-violent association in Stahlmin, right? Form a non-union-union. A front. A bund. Whatever you crazy people call it out here." He sipped from his water, which had ice, which was curious since it was rather warm around. Probably magic, he figured. "The whole point of having friends is so that you don't have to be strong, Tourmaline." He brought out his nicest, most expensive, vintage sly grin to punctuate his point.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline tried to keep her steamy attitude, but couldn't after his "friends" comment. She started laughing, then said, "Oh my gosh you sound like a really terrible book for tweens." Her demeanor considerably lightened, and she absently twirled her hair, tapping her medium occasionally. "I've also no idea what a bund is."

Tourmaline hadn't ever quite met someone who managed to flip from infuriating to devilishly charming in a split second; indeed, compared to her almost impressive lack of tact and social skills, Hugo was something of a complete genius. It was almost enough to anger her again, knowing that he'd used his charm like that on purpose; still, she was quite glad to have changed the topic somewhat.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

He smiled genuinely again, and leaned forward over the table, unabashed excitement dripping from his words. "Bund, front, union, it's all the same. A group of people brought together to for a common goal. Labor unions work towards like, better work conditions and legal protection." He shrugged slightly. "Why not let Walpurgi and sealed Cantus users and such work towards better legal protections and such. You know, lessen the power of the Expiate outside of emergency, that sort of thing."

The waiter approached, and he ordered a couple of tacos. The waiter walked away after taking her order, and so he continued. "All you have to do is approach people, ask them to a small meeting, and get them to invite their friends. Everyone wants to help, but nobody want to figure out how, you know, they just need the direction."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:04 am