A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Application and Rejection (and Interaction) [Closed- Nightclaw, Pax, and Silv]

Lilac
    Admin

Application and Rejection (and Interaction) [Closed- Nightclaw, Pax, and Silv]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 am

Note: This thread is an import from the old Zetaboards site. The original thread can be found here

Hugo had a rudimentary plan of action by the time he was in downtown Ostmont. Partially because it was 3 days foot travel to get there from the border, and partially because he had in fact figured out what he had wanted to do when he  would graduate more than 3 years ago, join the army. One of the armies. He figured that out of all the people in the world that would demand a sense of respect or submission, the military was one of the only ones that had a legitimate right to them, along with democratically elected leaders. It wasn't out of fear, or out of power-lust, rather that, though he knew that people in general don't necessarily have his best interests in mind, those paid and trusted by all to have those interests in mind are somewhat trustworthy.

This is why he shuffled his way down the busy thoroughfares of Ostmont, even as the turbulent multitudes assaulted him, and the clamor of hundreds or thousands moving to their daily chores and duties deafened him, and the smells filled his sense with a mixture of human filth, poverty, spices, food, engine oil, and bare electricity. In any normal circumstance, it's certain that Hugo would be inside his cubiculum, fiddling with instruments and such in order to perfect his most recent project. Instead, you have to understand that Hugo is on a mission. He simply wont accepted anything less than military recruitment, because only action will show his merit, skill, and honor to the board.

When finally, after a torrential rush, and the clash and ebb of the crowds at intersections and turns, he had made it to the recruitment office, he felt wholly and totally relieved. He turned the doorknob, and pushed through the door. Inside was a sterile, austere situation with all sorts of brown couch and bare electric lightbulb and undecorated beige walls. He made his way to a desk, and ringed a bell labeled "service", hoping to meet a real person. His hopes must have seemed unreasonable, because instead a small tube dispensed a red paper slip with a black, mechanically stamped "92" on the front, and illegibly small print on the other side. After standing confusedly and dumbfounded for more than 20 minutes, he decided to sit on a couch until someone who understood more about how this works happened along.

His salvation appeared another 20 minutes or half hour later, in a dirty grey blazer and black slacks. A semi-pseudo-maybe-possibly-once-was-young man appeared from a door in the very back, adjusted his glasses, checked his list on a clipboard, and finally counted the number "91." An angry silence oppressed the room for a very, very long moment, before Hugo, the only other human being in the room, stood up and frustratedly signaled to the other man. The other man ignored him, checked his list again, coughed, glanced around, shrugged, scratched his nose, sniffled, and finally raised his eyebrows at Hugo, who said "Can I talk to someone about recruitment in the army?"

The man quickly welcomed Hugo into his office, and sat him down in an uncomfortably understuffed leather chair, and told him plainly, "We are willing to accept almost anybody into the army, it's really important that we get our numbers up. I can tell you already, you'll probably be accepted before tonight is through, but lets see your proof of residence, citizenship papers, and at secondary educational graduation." Hugo blankly stared at him, and pulled a notice of expulsion from his saddlebag.

Hugo stepped out and onto the street, frustrated, angry, and sore throated from screaming for an hour about the necessity of national service and such. He came out firmly believing that the man was a state traitor, and a small inquiry as to his location was placed later in the evening due to an influx of fraudulent impersonation charges and statements that he had made to by-standing police officers in the streets and such.

Beyond figuring something else to get into the academy, he needed to figure out a way to make money, and beyond that he needed to figure out a way to not be thirsty at this particular moment, so he decided to stop in a local watering hole, Scoefield's and Koch's. He stepped into the smokey, dimly lit bar, and spoke to a young man behind the bar about getting a  glass of stout.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Application and Rejection (and Interaction) [Closed- Nightclaw, Pax, and Silv]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 am

Tourmaline wasn't normally a drinker, but she and her coworkers had gotten a major breakthrough in the engine they'd been working on; one of them had offered to buy drinks for everyone, so Tourmaline went. Most of her coworkers had left, though there were a few still there, along with the usual bar crowd.

Indeed, one such character came into the bar. Tourmaline would have taken him for some kind of hooligan, given his clothes, but his hair and gaze were anything but unruly. Emboldened by the drinks she'd had earlier that night, she said as he came up to the counter, "Hello there. How's it going?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Application and Rejection (and Interaction) [Closed- Nightclaw, Pax, and Silv]

An expelled student and a researcher walk into a bar. Then a grump joined soon after.

The door of the bar was opened rather loudly, as the new costumer pushed the door open, her cloak gently moving with outside air. Her eye scanned the location, and noticed that the counter seemed to be the less noisy location, even if there was some random girl striking a conversation with someone that seemed rather too orderly to belong in a bar.

Nevertheless, Kassandra didn't pay mind, as she walked towards the counter. Sitting on an available stool close to the two, she merely looked at the bartender with a deadpan look and said "Ale."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"Hello." he didn't expect to be approached within but 15 seconds of showing up, but these things happen, and you have to look at the bright side. "I'm alright, just not sure what to with myself." He was honest, at least. The bartender finally came back with his stout. "You look like you know a thing or two, y'know, where do you think a dropout like me with zero assets or credentials might be able to get work in the field of, ah, cartic magic."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"Hello." he didn't expect to be approached within but 15 seconds of showing up, but these things happen, and you have to look at the bright side. "I'm alright, just not sure what to with myself." He was honest, at least. The bartender finally came back with his stout. "You look like you know a thing or two, y'know, where do you think a dropout like me with zero assets or credentials might be able to get work in the field of, ah, cartic magic."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline wasn't quite expecting to be offering advice, but took it in her stride. "Weellll, it depends on your specialty? For example, I am a Shielding expert..." She concentrated, and quickly created a path, consisting of two walls of magic shield, and a clear path down the middle.

"I work in a laboratory, calculating specific energy thresholds and whatnot, and I make sure any magical experiments don't escape the work area." She fired one of the only destruction spells she knew into the path, and it was redirected from the man, into a small paper she'd pulled from her pocket, which shriveled up.

"Now I'm not entirely sure what your area of expertise is, but I'm willing to bet that they're are people like me out there that would take an apprentice of a sorts; say, I could give you specs on the shield you're supposed to create, doing the calculations myself, and you could do that actual magic."

Tourmaline, done speaking and dispelling her magic, now noticed the rather unhappy looking woman that had sat next to them. Not wanting to seem rude, Tourmaline addressed her: "Erm, hello."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:16 am

And thus, a glass of ale came her direction. She made a small muttering sound when it appeared, and as soon as he grabbed it, the woman spoke up at her direction. Her eye moving to glare at her. "Hello." She merely said, giving her a throughout look before stating "What's a brainiac like you doing in a bar?" Her statement came from Tourmaline looking and sounding like she belonged somewhere with more... Class.

Nevertheless, she turned to the man and asked "'Dropout'? What ever happened to you?" Was he perhaps attending an academy or something? It sounded like he had nowhere to go, after all.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:17 am

He decided that he wasn't exactly a fan of this other woman's tone, and so he put it blunt and perfectly honest. "I used to be in the Academy back in Aldermerrow, but I melted half a mans entire body off with a gallon of quicklime." He took a swig of his stout, continued with a shrug, "It was an accident."

Addressing the first woman again, he said, "Sorry, ma'am I didn't quite catch your name. I'm Hugo, Hugo Daimler, bomb-maker and man-melter extraordinaire."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Addressing the woman's blunt question, Tourmaline said, "Oh, uh, we just had a breakthrough at the lab-- I'm celebrating."

After hearing the man respond to the woman, Tourmaline was now rather unhappy with the way her situation had turned out. Of course, she couldn't be rude, so she said, "Oh, I'm Tourmaline Cardona. I... Uh, healer, enchanter, and, obviously, shielder." Deciding to follow up, she said, "So wait, what sort of magic do you specialize in?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"I see." She merely stated. Even if it wasn't a celebrations, Tourmaline still didn't look like a customer, but what did she know, appearences could be deceiving, after all.

Taking a swig from her glass, Kassandra heard why the man was kicked out of the Academy. Her expression didn't change, but she merely blinked as he reached the 'melted half a man' part. "... Really? How in damnation did you do that?" He mentioned he was a 'bomb-maker', which only confused Kassandra even further. Just how wrong did whatever experiment he was doing go?

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:42 pm