A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

A New Lesson [Hugo/Violet - Closed]

Lilac
    Admin

A New Lesson [Hugo/Violet - Closed]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:50 am

Note: This thread is an import of a thread from the old Zetaboards site. The original thread can be found here

In front of Hugo were a number of alchemical instruments, most of them familiar except for a few that were of varying qualities of fabrication. He could pick out numerous kinds of flask, decanters, desiccation bags, several different burners, and a fume hood off to the side. In several of the flasks were different solutions, many of them clear (which he expected), several of different shades of color and turbidities (which he accepted), and one which was interesting because it was a bright, violent green, and also faintly gave off light (which he did not expect). Besides the scary, outlandish solution, everything else was basically familiar, and what he couldn't recognize, he could guess the use for.

He turned away from the work desk and faced Violet, who was preparing some other thing, and then Tourmaline, who smiled back at him from the couch and went back to her reading.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: A New Lesson [Hugo/Violet - Closed]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:50 am

Tourmaline, who had been at least somewhat cured of her migraine by some potion of Violet's, sat reading, casting the occasional glance at Hugo. Violet had quietly warned her of her suspicions, and Tourmaline was trying to keep an eye on him, to see if he tried to eek out any other secrets about the Haven or such.

However, Tourmaline was also willing to give him a chance. He was nice enough, and at least pretended to be okay with illegal forms of magic. She and Violet had decided it would be best if they kept Tourmaline's past a secret, at least for now; just until they figured out more about the guy.

Meanwhile, Violet was preparing a piece of her trademark potions; this was the bit that showed your Anima what it looked like when your will interacted with an element, in this case, wind. Concentric circles of glyphs, spinning in a sequence of clockwise, counterclockwise, and so on, circled the bottle, which sat over a large flame.

Violet beckoned Hugo over. "Okay, tell me what you see here. I need to gauge your education levels. You probably won't recognize these marks," she pointed at the outermost circle, "because they are the 'Life Alchemy' piece of the brewing. However, these should be at least sort of familiar."

Specifically, the outermost marks were saying "Anima, this is a demonstration of will interacting with wind. Interpret the activation of glyphs as the will of your owner."

The middle circle said that the effect of the glyphs within its power (which was, as Violet defined it, inside the circle) would be contained within the liquid on top of the glyphs, to be activated when the potion was drunk. This was a staple of most brewing techniques.

The innermost circle simply said something to the effect of "Wind, move forward."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:51 am

"Well I recognize most of the inner stuff. The inside is a command looks like- yeah, that parts in the vocative, "āēr, impellitor", which translates to 'Air, you will be impelled'" after that, he glanced over the second circle, mouthing something, or maybe speaking very low under his breath. He mumbled. He groaned. He hummed a couple of tunes, which sounded a lot like nursery rhymes. "That second circle looks pretty similar to a basic binding set that my old mentor used when she would transmit qualities between objects, but then, it looks like it's object is a glyph- er, rather, that's plural, so glyphs, and not an actual object..." He smiled in memory of the poetic order that he and his mentor would use, "and then the syntax is different, but everyone does it different. Nice use of the passive paraphrastic."

He frowned, looking at the outermost circle. "I completely dont know several of these glyphs. That one looks a little bit like a glyph I saw that my mentor used to make a rat's saliva venomous, which would have been cool if it didn't kill the rat. Anyway, I dont know what it actually... ah... means." He shrugged. "I'm gonna guess and say that it has something to do with binding something, or binding something to another thing, just from the grammar. Beyond that, the glyphs are unfamiliar here."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Violet had never actually heard glyphs spoken aloud; it was weird. Even still, he got most of it right, and seeing him guess based off of the grammar of the glyphing was a nice touch. "Okay, good. You were correct with the first two, which is good cause it means that you're not behind on the basics."

"There are two types of Brewery; one is this type, with glyphs and lei supplying the magic used in the potion; the other type is magical ingredients obtained from corrupted monsters and the like supplying it. Most Anima manipulation is via the first type, although if you get creative, you can use the second type as well, to lighten the magical load."

"This potion in particular is one of my own invention, which allows you to control wind in a manner very similar to Cantic Mages-- completely tied to your will. If you just had the first two circles, it'd cause a gust of wind when you drank the potion. However, with the third one, it will give you the effect I just described. Onto the actual glyphs..."

Violet pointed in turn to each mentioned glyph as she spoke, "The important ones for you to know are this one, which means Anima. This one here, and here, is Will. I made a potion earlier that already had wind and will defined for the Anima; that'll be a later lesson. The translation is 'Anima, manipulate the wind according to the drinker's will; interaction between wind and Will will look like this spell,' this spell obviously being defined to be within the circles."

Violet thought she covered it all. "If you have a question, I'm all ears. If not, feel free to study the markings. These two bottles," she pointed at a couple of the clear ones, "Have Will and Gravity defined already. Tourmaline told me you're a gravity manipulator, so I took the liberty of looking up the glyphs for it. I'd like you to try to make a potion that will work like this one. Feel free to ask questions? Oh, uh, you can borrow my Medium, so you don't empty yours."

She pulled the gold-and-amethyst necklace off over her head, and set it on the table. It felt weird to be giving commands, but Violet was new to this teaching thing, and thought it would be good for him to practice.

Tourmaline watched closely. If the man's plan was to attack them, it would be when one of them was without a Medium.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

He pulled out some paper from his pocket, first. Or he would have, but instead he just stroked his belly absentmindedly until he realized that he didn't have any coats on. It looked... pretty weird. "L-let me just go get some paper from my coat." It was pretty lucky that he had to go and walk away to get it, because he was turning pretty red around the face. When he got back, he began to copy the glyphs over and over, and then throw them into declension charts, even while he talked. "So just to run it back over, I'm defining something, then telling it to be manipulated, and then putting that power in the potion to be drunk. What happens if I were to define something really vague, like love, or death? Would it just wear out my anima if I tried to do anything? Or would it do something silly like not working at all? Also, is the three ring structure necessary? Would it affect the power of the potion if I used more or less rings, or spirals?"

While he said all this, he was throwing together a basic set for controlling gravity. He wasn't really sure how to word it, but he did his best to make it pretty in the meantime. In particular, he focused on a sort of poetic word order, with 'mass' under 'reduce' in the spiral, or 'ground' to the left of 'object' in the sense of being left behind. In his mind, it wouldn't actually change anything in the first place, just something to remember his mentor by, since she did it long before him.

When he was done, he had a rough outline of the same sort of 3 ring structure, done in pencil. He began to fiddle with some solutions, and finally set one that he thought would be pretty amiable to being enchanted in such a way just above the paper, and set it off with his own medium, which was a fairly ornate pocketwatch, which also functioned besides being a very ornate and relatively powerful medium. A gift from his mentor, you know.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Violet said, "Spirals would be fine, as long as you properly defined the bounds of the spells. Fewer rings might be a little less practical, since the magic of the spells would interract with each other in ways that you might not want."

It appeared that he didn't need her medium. Violet stole a quick glance at Tourmaline, who looked relieved, before retrieving her medium from the table. She silently watched him work. He was a quick learner, not that she'd given him TOO much to learn.

When it looked like he'd finished, Violet picked up the potion, looking at the color, transparency, and the like. As far as her perusal told her, he'd made it well. "Next, we'll try it on a mouse."

She got a bit of the potion in a dropper, and picked up a mouse. After gently, but firmly, feeding it the potion, she set it down on the table. "Potion like this'll only take a minute or two to see if it's safe for human consumption. However, always be safe, and wait a full twenty-four hours before you drink it. Don't mess around with Life Alchemy-- it could ruin you."

After about two minutes, it seemed like the mouse was doing fine. Violet smiled at him. "Looks like it worked! Nice job. Like I said, we'll wait twenty-four hours before trying it ourselves, just to make absolutely sure."

She glanced at Tourmaline again. "Honestly, that's all I planned for today... I didn't expect you to pick it up right away. It took me months to figure out the right words and stuff, I was expecting you to at least take a day. You'll probably need to improve a bit, but I won't know exactly on what until we test the potion ourselves."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"This is pretty fascinating." The prospects swam through his head as he looked at the vial again, which had taken on a translucent green quality. He looked over at tourmaline as well, and saw them both exchanging some pretty strange looks, and deliberated over it for a while. Finally, he decided to go ahead and ask. "I'm sure I must seem pretty suspicious, but trust me, I'm not exactly the most legally minded person. Is there some way that I can maybe win your trust? What if I showed you some of my own illegal alchemy?" he glanced over at the inventory of instruments, to make sure he could actually do that, and continued. "Would that prove to you guys that I'm not some kind of secret policeman?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline felt abashed. "It-it's not that."

"Yeah I've already done enough illegal alchemy in front of you to warrant all kinds of arrests." Violet glanced at Tourmaline, checking if she wanted to take the lead.

"We just have some... Friends that trusted us with a secret, and you asked a question that sounded sort of like you were trying to vet out said secret."

Violet nodded, as to say "That was good." "We can't really tell you who or what it was, for obvious reasons. Honestly the medium thing was a half test, to see if you'd attack or anything. You didn't, so we trust you, at least marginally."

Tourmaline finished with, "There're some things about me that a lot of people don't like, and we're just not sure what to think of you yet. It'll all come in due time. For now, the two of us are happy to allow you to live here, train, and whatnot."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 am

"You all are saying an awful lot without saying anything." He broke eye contact. "I've done a lot of things that would have gotten me in a lot of trouble, but I've always had somebody I could trust, so I know how important that kind of thing can be." Leaning back in the chair, he looked Violet right in eye again, "I've never had to worry about not having somebody, honestly, I guess that I have preferred not having anybody that I needed to trust." He smiled a cheeky little smirk and finished, "I guess we'll have to learn to trust eachother the old fashioned way." He winked a little. It was... pretty awkward.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 am

Violet smiled. "That's kind of the idea."

Tourmaline still seemed worried. "It's not anything that would keep you from training." Unless, of course, everything goes to crap and they figure Violet and I out... But hopefully that won't happen.

"Learning to trust sounds just fine to me. For now, we'll switch gears... Is there anything that you'd particularly like to learn about Life Alchemy? Or alchemy in general?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm