A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Maleficium [Julien's Intro Thread - Open]

Lilac
    Admin

Maleficium [Julien's Intro Thread - Open]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:35 am

Note: This is an import of a thread from the old Zetaboards site. The original thread can be found here

In the midst of the city of Leiger, a man of towering stature strode through the crowd. They looked upon him with unease for, despite his fancy clothing and elegant silver cane, he bore an aura of intensity that was immediately threatening. His name was Julien Charbonneau and he belonged to the law.

This intensity was not without purpose; indeed, he was currently on a mission to locate and speak with a known Atoned Walpurgis. This was not a particularly important mission, it was merely to see if this target was integrating well with society and if they harbored any grudges to the Expiate or other such factions, in order to see if they are a force of dissonance or peace. Regardless of the import, however, Julien followed his orders with great bliss. He ignored the unease he instilled in the laymen around him, as well as the space they gave him, but tipped his hat to several out of politeness.

Finally, Julien reached the laboratory where his target worked. He knocked on the door then stepped in, glancing about with some caution. Without much haste, he sauntered about the building until he reached the cubicle where Tourmaline Cardona was currently sitting. He permitted himself a half-smile, then tapped on the cubicle wall with his cane.

"Excusez-moi mademoiselle, are you Tourmaline Cardona?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Maleficium [Julien's Intro Thread - Open]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:36 am

Tourmaline jumped, wrenching her mind away from her design. She was trying to think of a battery that stored gravitational potential energy, rather than chemical. It was difficult to make it efficient, and not taking up a lot of space. In addition, it could be used for automatic lifts, and the like.

However, she was pulled away as she turned and saw a rather interesting looking man standing behind her. He was dressed like something out of a story book. "Er, oui, je se suis. Are you going to offer me a cooked goose?" She gestured at his outfit.

Tourmaline hazarded a guess that he was a Cartic Mage, or very rich, or both; he had a good number of precious metals on himself, somewhat making her clip look a little paltry. His eyes were piercing, a trait that Tourmaline always admired in others. Still wary, she stood and stretched out a hand; "Seriously though, how can I help you?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Julien chuckled softly at her joking remark, glancing down at his attire. Maybe it was a bit over the top. Remembering his manners, he shook her hand firmly as he had been taught in the academy. He started to move around a little bit, not quite fidgeting but more exploring her work space, fiddling with some pencils and other benign objects out of habit. Out of the corner of his eye he watched Tourmaline intently.

"I am reporting to question you as part of a routine inspection given your... history." The inspector turned away from his ambient activity and flashed his badge, pulling it out of a pocket in his suit, before quickly hiding it once again. "If you'd prefer, we could have this discussion somewhere more private. I understand if you may be uncomfortable answering these questions in among co-workers, where you may be overheard." At this point, Julien observed his quarry with a curious expression, not unlike a cat waiting to pounce, completely still.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline's face fell a bit. "Oh. Yes, of course. I'll grab my papers." She opened a drawer on her desk, and took a stack of papers out that bore the same symbol as the man's badge.

As they began walking, Tourmaline said, "So uhm, what's this about? I've reported in, haven't left the country without informing you guys, haven't interacted with other Walpurgi without letting you know... As far as I know, I've gone by the book?"

Tourmaline was desperately ignoring the sinking fear that they'd found out she'd found a Haven, and had begun living there; she couldn't go through something like Sealing again. It would ruin her.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:37 am

With a bit of a smirk, Julien led the way out of the lab. He held the door open for her to exit, then walked alongside her, no longer focusing his gaze on her. Indeed, he seemed to grow more comfortable, as if he had already won. He would hold his hand out as she grabbed the papers, ready to scan them for inaccuracies or suspicious content. Of course, he didn't expect to find any, as she sounded pretty truthful thus far.

"Well, if that is indeed the case, then you have nothing to worry about. You have nothing to fear from the Expiate, nor from I. I'd just like to look at your papers and ask a few questions." He sniffed a bit, thinking of how to phrase his next statement. "Furthermore, with your permission, I would like to probe your mind briefly. Whether I trust your words or not, if you are lying to me, your thoughts will betray you." Tourmaline might get the sensation that his asking for permission is merely a pleasantry at best.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline's heart froze a bit. "Uh, that sounds really terrible." Tourmaline had heard a bit about mind reading; it was very complex and difficult, from what she knew. Which was a good thing, seeing as her mind was just about the only sanctuary she had.

Tourmaline pretended to grab her hair in a gesture of stress, and grasped her clip. Quickly, with the marks going onto her scalp under her hair, she cast a magic shield that was supposed to defend any probes against her knowledge of the Haven. Everything else, she left alone.

Indeed, Tourmaline designed the shield so that it directed him towards seemingly secret info-- her feelings about Violet, seemingly absurd fears, along with her severe dislike of the Expiate. She hoped this would make it so that he didn't think she was hiding anything.

She wasn't at all experienced with mind magic, so she wasn't sure if the shield would work as planned; however, it was the best Tourmaline could do with such short notice. After this, I'm going to research mind defense magic.

Biting her lip and dropping her hand, Tourmaline said, "My mind is my only sanctuary... How... invasive is this probe?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Julien then barked a harsh laugh at her statement, then quickly fell back to his cold demeanor. He noticed her oddly grip at her hair, and noted it down mentally as a curiosity for later consideration. He moved to the side and gestured for her to stop. He closed his eyes and his brow furrowed even more than normal. "I will be able to see all the secrets of your mind once my magic reaches far enough. I will try to refrain from your more personal, insig-.... irrelevant memories, do not fear. Relax your mind."

The inquisitor reached his hand forward towards Tourmaline's skull, and his breathing slowed. He felt his subconscious fall away and leave only his thoughts, replacing the usual white noise with that of his target. As he moved about, he sensed a tumult of different emotions and concepts, many of the latter being beyond his comprehension, likely being related to her studies. Besides that, he observed some particularly strong feelings for one named Violet. He dwelt on this briefly, then carried on throughout her various fears and her clearly misguided dislike for the Expiate. Funnily enough, he also noticed her think about studying mental shielding magic.

As he probed about, however, he felt a force moving him away from... something. He tried to attack this force, but after a failed attempt he released his mental pursuit and was brought back to the safety of his own mind. Julien was blatantly not pleased, however. "I know you're hiding something, miss. Besides your affection for your good friend Violet, of course. I would suggest you tell me."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Then sense of invasion was altogether one of the most unpleasant things Tourmaline had ever experienced. Whether it was her imagination or an actual feeling, Tourmaline could feel this strange entity moving through her mind-- but thankfully, it stopped at her thoughts of Haven, and, even after trying to get through her shield, failed.

At this point, the man looked sour, and accused her-- rightly so. Tourmaline's face was warm, as she knew he'd gone through thoughts of Violet.

Encouraging this feeling, Tourmaline did her best to look puzzled, indignant, and embarrased, and also did her best to keep her alarm subconscious, in case he was still in there. "Hiding?" Looking thoughtful, she was silent a moment. "To my knowledge, I've not hidden anything. There are a few things I wish you hadn't seen;" she glowered for a moment, "But nothing was hidden."

Hoping for inexperience, she said, "What makes you think I'm hiding something, anyway?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Julien bristled with anger as she denied his accusations, certain of her attempts at deceit. The wall stopping him from digging further comfortably was evidence enough for him. "I have heard such protestations every day for years tenfold. And I have brought justice in each and every instance." He loomed over the Walpurgis, clearly trying to be intimidating. "I will do the same again."

He exhaled sharply and fell back to a more stony demeanor, though he still gripped his cane tightly, whitening his knuckles. "Give me your papers, then, that I may divine any further fabrications you seem to delight in creating." Julien jutted out his right hand in expectation of her obedience.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline was normally rather skittish, but threats from the Expiate had come far too often for her to be more frightened than she already was. She took her papers out, and handed them to him. "Please, sir, I'm not hiding anything. I'm a functioning member of this society, I've been a model citizen ever since I was Atoned. Surely my record speaks for itself?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:04 am