A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open]

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Trouble Brewing [Violet's Intro Thread - Open]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:17 am

Frau Hoffstadher nodded.

"Yes, I hear Cantus can have that...effect," she said slowly. She shook her head. "Anyways, I'll guide show you our main stock of books."

Frau Hoffstadher's two chubby hands would clutch the handles of the door and pull it open. A dimly lit library with shelves wall to wall. A stairwell of floating glass panes led to a mezzanine where there were more. Several robed people walked back and forth as they read books at desks or wrote with quill pens.

"Anyways, this is the main part of the Arcaneum," she said. "You can read books here all you want and if you need to take them out, all you need to do is ask the Librarian. Of course, there's a limit as to how long you can borrow them, but you're free to frequently visit. I'll get in touch with the head mage when she returns. For now, let's go back to Elaine."

The words "Life Alchemy" made Liseran flinch. It wasn't a visible one, but she did feel every part of her body stiffen momentarily. The words brought back several memories Liseran had kept deep inside her head. The first one was a silver-haired boy bloodied and on the ground. The second, a dead dog. The third, an old man's wrinkles reverting as he grinned.

She shook her head.

"Life Alchemy is a bit of a taboo to Walpurgis and regular folk," she said plainly. "But considering how we're already shoving our identities under the rug, I wouldn't be surprised if certain people in Havens were to practice it. You said you learned to fight out of necessity? Why is that? You sound like you came from a good background and you're not a Walpurgis so I doubt you'd be persecuted just like that. is it because you practice life alchemy?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Tourmaline stole a glance at the many books in the room before following her guide out. "So, what's your guys' like, population? Are there a lot of people living here?" She was curious, and it would also give her a ballpark guess as to how many people she'd be helping. "Oh, also, is there a lei source nearby?"

Violet regretted asking about Life Alchemy, as it seemed Dormise had some particularly horrible history with it. "I apologize, I didn't mean to upset you. I just thought Havens were a kind of no holds barred place. In response to your question, there are a few reasons."

"First reason is that I've been an outspoken advocate for Walpurgis since I was old enough to understand the politics behind it. People get awfully violent when you start talking about Cantus. At that time, though, I only needed to know defense."

"When Tourmaline's uncle was killed, and I heard the killer was after Tourmaline as well, I started training with some family all over the continent. I thought that Tourmaline would want help, in case she wanted vengeance or something. In addition to that, I needed some difficult-to-obtain ingredients from monsters for my tracking potion, so I needed to learn how to effectively take them out."

"So yeah, I learned how to fight. I think my personally favorite achievement is that I've devised potions that give me temporary control over an element. Except earth. That one's fun to use."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Frau Hoffstadher shook her head.

"We're only a handful," she said. "You could liken us to a small village or a big neighborhood. There are about ten to fifteen girls staying at my boarding house while several men and woman tend to the markets and have their own settlements here. A few children now and then...and then there are volunteers like you who are about just a good handful. You could say we're a little over forty people all in all. I like to believe that because of the small numbers, I can pay better attention to everyone's needs. As for Lei source, dear child, this cave is a Lei source."

Frau Hoffstadher would walk towards one of the large windows opened and point to the glowing marks that looked like stars in the ceiling of the cave.

"We're deep in the earth and Lei flows through the minerals and rocks here. We concentrate it into several Great Stones. You'll find one here in the Arcaneum, one at the office building, and one in the middle of the market."

The two would reach the stairs as Liseran listened quietly. She shook her head.

"Ah, no worries, I'm not offended. It's just something I treat with caution, is all," she said. "Anyways, your story seems to make sense. I won't deny that."

THe two would arrive at the large two doors Tourmaline and Chartreuse had been at only a few moments ago. However, Liseran did not open the door. She stopped Violet.

"I'm afraid I cannot let you in yet because I haven't sought permission from the head mistress here," she said. "However, I'll get ahold of someone who can summon Tourmaline inside. If she recognizes you, then we can arrange for you to go in so you two can talk."

Near the door, there was a slot and a circle of runes. Liseran pressed her hand on it and the circle of marks would glow. The peeper slot opened and a bright yellow eye looked at it.

"Oh, Lisey! You're back!" a raspy, high-pitched voice said behind the slot.

"Hello, Chartreuse," Liseran said with a smile. "Tourmaline Cardona passed through here just recently, am I correct?"

"Yes. Just passed through. She's with Frau Hoffstadher right now. Why? And why aren't you just inside."

Liseran glanced at Violet before turning to Chartreuse's eye again.

"It seems she has a 'friend' by the name of Violet Fletcher who is looking for her. Urgent business. Can you go see if the name rings a bell to our guest?"

"Roger that."

The peeper shut and Liseran looked back at Violet. She managed to offer the stranger a smile.

"My friend will try and fetch Tourmaline as soon as she can. I hope you don't mind waiting," she said. "Curious. You mentioned something about not using earth. Why's that?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Looking around at the cave in wonder, Tourmaline said, "Oh my gosh. The entire... You could just... Cast spells here, non-stop! That would be..." Tourmaline considered deeply the implications. "So much magic!"

Very glad she'd finally found the Haven, Tourmaline stood for a moment, taking in the great wealth of Lei she'd just found out surrounded her.

Violet nodded silently as Dormise went to talk to someone. It felt weird, realizing that her journey was about to end. It'd been a few years coming. Violet was unsure what she'd do now that it was over; still, though, it was an impressive accomplishment, and she felt good for having done it.

When Dormise returned and asked about the earth, fear flashed through Violet. "I was still perfecting my elemental potions. Earth was the first one I tried to do. It messed up my Anima, or something like that involved in the casting process; I can't perform earth magic anymore." She neglected to mention her great anxiety when any kind of dirt touched her. "It's a bummer of a limitation sometimes."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Frau Hoffstadher had to chuckle, but she shook her head.

"Don't get too excited," she said. "You still have to channel the energy to mediums, but recharging them is never a problem here. Ironic a Lei source is the Haven for the very people it's used to combat against, hm? It just goes to show that magic of whatever kind does not matter. Magic is magic no matter what. Now, we've stayed here. I'm sure we shouldn't keep Elaine waiting. Come, deary."

The two would exit the Arcaneum only to be met with the cranky, green-haired feline Enkidu once again.

"Frau Hoffstadher! Frau Hoffstadher!" Chartreuse called out as she scrambled to the lady.

Frau Hoffstadher arched an eyebrow.

"Chartreuse? What's the matter? Did something happen?"

Chartreuse frowned and crossed her arms. She narrowed her eyes at Tourmaline.

"You could say that," she said. "Liseran's returned and she says someone showed up searching for your new mage. A Fletcher person."

She scowled.

"You didn't lead anyone here, did you?" the small cat girl accused. "You're a spy after all, aren't you!?"

The miniscule Enkidu pointed a finger at Tourmaline accusingly, her arm only reaching to Tourmaline's stomach. Frau Hoffstadher sighed.

"Now, now, Chatreuse, I'm sure there's a legit explanation. And if Liseran hasn't sounded any alarms, then I'm sure it's fine. Now, do you know anyone by this name, Tourmaline? Fletcher?"

"Mmm...I see," she said. "I suppose your fortunate that is the only downside to your experiments. I can't imagine what a hindrance it'd be being affected by earth magic, either--dirt being everywhere. But I'm sure if you've made it this far, you're more than capable of handling yourself."

Liseran offered the girl a small smile.

"You startled the shopkeeper up there," she said. "Pardon his paranoia. Hans is just trying to do his job. He's rather new at all of this."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:18 am

Tourmaline agreed; "Yeah, magic is definitely just that-- a tool. I feel like more Atoned Walpurgis should turn to Cartic magic for that simple reason. It's certainly less intuitive, but it makes the loss so much more bearable."

It was at this point that the familiar face returned. Tourmaline hardly heard the accusation of spying. "F-Fletcher? Violet Fletcher? Where?" She was reeling, her heart getting the familiar mix of confusion, guilt, and longing that always happened when she thought of Violet. How'd she find me?

"He's got fire, I'll give him that. I'd love to give him a lesson some time, he certainly has the spirit to learn how to fight. Course, I guess with this operation you've got going on, you've kind of got to have that fight in you."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"She's just outside the entrance," Chartreuse said. "Mistress, should I let her in?"

Frau Hoffstadher paused on it. A pair of smooth stones made their way from her pocket to her hands. She rubbed them firmly before they came up with certain patterns on them.

"There seems to be no real threat," she said. "Hurry and beckon Liseran and the new guest back to my house. It seems a lot of talking needs to be done."

Chartreuse gave a snappy salute before running back.

"Come, Tourmaline. We'll wait for this person back in the room we met in. I can simply phone Elaine to wait until we get everything settled."

The two would retrace their steps from the Arcaneum. At the Infirmary, the white-haired assistant nurse was no longer there and the flowers seemed to have been happily watered. People still went along their business, too busy to notice Tourmaline as being new. When they returned, Frau Hoffstadher sat down and gestured for Tourmaline to do the same.

"Now, can you tell me more about this Violet Fletcher character? Is she a friend of yours?"

Liseran made a small smirk.

"Ah, he might take you up on that. He already has a considerable amount of training in Brewing," she said. "Granted of course that we can trust you."

A few minutes would pass before the door opened from the other side. Chartreuse stood there with her arms at her side.

"Frau Hoffstadher wants to see you two," she said. "She'll be in her typical drawing room. Tourmaline should be there, too."

"Of course. Fraulein Fletcher, please follow me."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

As they walked, Tourmaline's stomach did flips. It would be weird, seeing her after all these years. Tourmaline wondered if she was angry that she'd gone off without telling her. Probably. She didn't regret it, though; she'd done what she thought was right.

Finally, they reached the sitting room once more. "Violet's my best friend. She's an alchemist. Practices Life Alchemy, actually, which might be why I trust her so implicitly. She was the first person I ever personally told that I was a Walpurgi. We shared most of our lives together, until my uncle was killed. I didn't want her to have to deal with that. So I set off without telling her... Apparently, that was the wrong decision, as she found me somehow."

Violet followed quietly, getting a bit nervous. She could see the faint traces of teal that meant Tourmaline had gone all over this cave. After a bit of silent walking, she walked closer to Liseran and said, "Merci. I mean that. I'm glad to know that Tourmaline's safe, and even has found herself a little community and all. I appreciate what you guys do for Walpurgis, and I appreciate what you've done for me."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Frau Hoffstadher decided to refrain remarking on Life Alchemy when it was mentioned. Instead, she rubbed her chin.

"I see," she said. "Well, if she's close to you, then I'm sure she'll gain our trust eventually."

Frau Hoffstadher rang a silver bell next to her armchair. It made a small 'cling' sound. Soon enough, a Cartic sending in the form of a transparent, ghost-like human, arrived carrying a tray of cookies and a tea set.

Meanwhile, Liseran was leading Violet to Frau Hoffstadher's house.

"You have nothing to thank me for," Liseran said quietly. "But yes, Frau Hoffstadher dedicates her life to taking care of all persecuted Walpurgi to the best of her abilities. We're almost there."

She'd lead Violet to the house where Chartreuse was waiting. The small cat-eared girl was playing with a ball of yarn. Liseran and Chartreuse gave each other brief nods of acknowledgement before crossing paths. Liseran would then lead Violet into the drawing room.

Frau Hoffstadher was sitting in her chair and smiling.

"Ah, Liseran, dear child, you're back. And I see you've brought Tourmaline's friend. Please, both of you, draw closer."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 am

Tourmaline looked at Violet, somewhat stricken. Rising silently from her chair, she walked over to her. "Vi?" Unsure of what else to say, Tourmaline blurted, "What on earth happened to your face?"

Violet laughed, and grabbed Tourmaline by the shoulders, then kissed her on both cheeks, a standard Saoirsan greeting. "I went looking for you, Mally-- that was my mistake." The smile faded from her face. "Tourmaline, he's after you. He knows you're here, in Stahlmin."

Tourmaline blanched. "H-he what? But, he can't, he can't find me, no one knows where I am, except you."

The fraudulent witch hunter knew where you went. I'm sorry, Mally. I know you wanted to leave the past in the past... But it's best you learned how to fight."

Then, it was awkwardly silent for a bit. Violet turned to the old woman, who looked as though she was in charge. "Thank you, for trusting me enough to see Tourmaline." After a second or two more, she said, "Well, I guess I should--"

Tourmaline interrupted, "Didn't you say there was housing here? Is there a two bedroom apartment or something?" She pulled out the payment she'd received from Goibniu earlier that day. "I can give you this, as a down payment, right now."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:03 am