Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Zero In, Seven Out [Goibniu's Intro Thread - Open]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Zero In, Seven Out [Goibniu's Intro Thread - Open] - Page 6 Empty Re: Zero In, Seven Out [Goibniu's Intro Thread - Open]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:02 am

Liseran had stopped upon hearing Tourmaline speak. As she did, the violet-haired girl's eyes shifted sideways.

"Why are you asking me about a Haven?" she said. "I'm a Cartic mage just like yourself: efficient and not a threat to society. You don't even know if I'm a Walpurgis.

Liseran opened her palm and stared hard at it before clutching it tightly again.

"I haven't been a Walpurgis for years now..." she murmured almost inaudibly.

Liseran sighed and pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket. It was a tiny scroll of parchment with tiny ink words that wrote: Elytra Brewery.

"There are little Havens in Stahlmin," she said. "The country is far smaller than Saoirse and most of it is industrial. That gives the Expiate a lot more to scope around. You don't even need to hide since you're able to use Carta, but I can see you want cause."

She placed the scroll in Tourmaline's hand and stared at her seriously.

"No, I cannot trust you," she said. "I don't even know if you're a Walpurgis yourself. But if what you say is true, go to this brewery shop in Leiger. If you're telling the truth, this should grant you access. And if you're lying..."

A shadow seemed to cast itself over Liseran's face as she said the next park in the same eerie tone she had used earlier: "You'll never see daylight ever again."

Without waiting for her response, Liseran walked off.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Zero In, Seven Out [Goibniu's Intro Thread - Open] - Page 6 Empty Re: Zero In, Seven Out [Goibniu's Intro Thread - Open]

Tourmaline was confused by Liseran's words; she had shown her official paperwork saying that she was Atoned. Then again, that could be easily faked for the purpose of infiltrating a Haven. Tourmaline's heart felt heavy because Walpurgis had to hide so much. Still, Liseran had nothing to worry about; and Tourmaline was quite happy to have found a Haven.

Tourmaline stuffed the paper into her pocket, resolving to go to this brewery later. For the time being, however, it seemed as though Mr. Goibniu was back to firing. After the bang, Tourmaline said, "It really is fine craftsmanship! I'd love to work with you at some point. For the time being, however, is there any way I can assist you in training?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

As the chamber of his firearm rotated, Tourmaline reappeared on the firing range. "Ah, do not worry Madam Cardona, it's all taken care of. Of course, you are free to retire or remain if you wish. There's still plenty of targets to choose from." He said, showing the remaining rocks. It wouldn't be hard to spot the missing inflexion of his voice from earlier, a reflection of his mood.

He wasn't exactly the best at hiding his moods.

"... Oh! Almost forgot." Goibniu suddenly said, using this opportunity now that Liseran and Maia were nowhere to be seen. "You made a mention of a design before showing me your documents, yes? What were you planning on assembling?" He did also wonder if the design story was just in jest to hide her request for revision in from of the other two ladies, after all, it was a bit unusual to have that as a cover story. But it didn't make him any less curious.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:03 am

Tourmaline brightened up. "Oh!" She pulled a piece of rather grimy paper out of her pocket, un-crumpled it, and showed it to Goibniu. "This is a waterwheel based design; just stick it next to a river. A few people have discovered how to generate electricity by moving a magnet in and out of a copper coil. Now, as you can see, the waterwheel turns a piston-- much like they do for mills in the less developed countries-- and moves the magnet in and out of the coils, generating electricity."

She pointed to the next figure. "This one... Still requires a bit of experimental work, but I think it'll work out. It works on a law discovered by, I believe Carnot, a while back. Basically, if you heat this chamber here" she pointed, "The pressure will increase, causing the piston here" she moved her finger lower, "To rise. After that, you can either allow the chamber to cool naturally, or induce cooling via ice or something of the sort. Then you heat again, and so on."

Tourmaline crumpled the paper back up and stuffed it into her pocket. "I have two problems with the heat engine, though: one, I can't find a way to efficiently move it from hot to cold reservoirs quickly enough, and two, it's hard to find a small-friction material with which to make the piston."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:03 am

Observing the schematics Tourmaline has shown her, Goibniu stared thoughtfully. The waterwheel design seemed pretty interesting, but the other touched a subject he wasn't exactly well versed. Focusing on the second design, he said "Carnot... I believe I heard about it. Something related to converting heat into energy?" His brow frowned a bit as he tried to think of a good solution of her dilemma. The material was mostly related to what other elements the piston would have around it, but the cooling... That one was a tad more complicated.

"... Blazes, I'd need to review some of the notes I have back in my house, for I can't come to a conclusion for your problematic. I'd need to know what sort of materials would be used in conjuction with the pistons, but the refrigeration issue... That one is a pickle." He said, scratching the back of his head. The recent events plus the mostly complicated nature of the situation were fogging his mind. He'd have preferred a talk about ballistics.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:04 am

Observing the schematics Tourmaline has shown her, Goibniu stared thoughtfully. The waterwheel design seemed pretty interesting, but the other touched a subject he wasn't exactly well versed. Focusing on the second design, he said "Carnot... I believe I heard about it. Something related to converting heat into energy?" His brow frowned a bit as he tried to think of a good solution of her dilemma. The material was mostly related to what other elements the piston would have around it, but the cooling... That one was a tad more complicated.

"... Blazes, I'd need to review some of the notes I have back in my house, for I can't come to a conclusion for your problematic. I'd need to know what sort of materials would be used in conjuction with the pistons, but the refrigeration issue... That one is a pickle." He said, scratching the back of his head. The recent events plus the mostly complicated nature of the situation were fogging his mind. He'd have preferred a talk about ballistics.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:05 am

Tourmaline wasn't TOO surprised. It was a relatively new design, after all, and pretty theoretical. There were prototypes, but she was hoping to make a more efficient one. Besides, a whole bunch of weird stuff had happened that day; she could hardly blame Goibniu for not being able to focus. "Thanks for looking anyway."

Tourmaline sat on the ground and set about thinking about Goibniu's weapon. It was, indeed, rather powerful; but was there a magical way to get it even moreso? Enkidu tech was unenchantable, apparently, so what could she do...

An idea struck, and Tourmaline said, "Your bullets, are they regular bullets, or Enkidu as well?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:05 am

"Oh no, you have my gratitude for allowing me to take a gander at your designs." He said, before turning back to the firing range, and continuing.

[big]*BANG*[/big]

And there went the 6th bullet, managing to create cracks on another innocent rock. His mind was still occupied when Tourmaline suddenly asked him a question. "Oh? Actually, they are not Enkidu." He began, as his hand went to the small bullet bag strapped to his right arm. It was perfectly circular and black, almost the size of a pebble. "These are made of iron for an easy manufacturing."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:06 am

Tourmaline was delighted. "Aha! May I have one?" While she waited for him to give her a bullet, she explained, "I can't enchant your gun for obvious reasons, but your bullets, on the other hand..." Tourmaline scratched her chin. "The enchantments might be a little more difficult to do, since I'd be increasing the amount of work able to be done on them, rather than increasing the amount of work actually done on them."

"Now, I could probably devise something to put on these... But..." She looked away from his eyes. "I can't really... Erm, I'd be okay with devising the enchantment for you, but I can't enchant a whole lot of bullets without... Compensation. Alternatively, you could just take the enchanted bullet to another enchanter so they can do it." Tourmaline hated it, but that would be a lot of free work, and she didn't have too many mediums to spare unless she actually received something for it.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:06 am

Tourmaline took the bullet, pondering for a bit. "I think... Hm, I'll have to take this home and think on it. I could obviously put some easy stuff on it first, elemental and whatnot, but I wonder if there are ways to increase efficiency or perhaps momentum, or maybe an enchantment that activates once it's left the chamber... Do you mind if I take the bullet home with me?"

Tourmaline was excited by the prospect. She was a little worried, though, cause she didn't have a lot of enchanting experience. However, if she had a lot of time to work on it, she could easily just get the marks and equations she wanted out of books, so it wouldn't be too bad. It would be difficult, too, without knowing the exact design of the gun, but she didn't feel like it would be appropriate to ask this man she just met for the blueprints to his patented weapon.

So she'd make do with just a bullet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm