Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

2 posters

The Little Princess [Closed]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The Little Princess [Closed] - Page 10 Empty Re: The Little Princess [Closed]

Post by Lilac Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:33 am

When Fable spoke, her eyes widened and something clicked in her mind. It was then that she smiled.

"Where's your sense of honest storytelling, Fable?" she said, suddenly sounding confident. "I thought you were a chronicler, not a fabricator."

It was odd enough that Remi knew such big words (Liseran's idea of storytelling were history books, so she had to put up with that for several weeks), but it was even odder that she seemed sure of something.

Remi moved back to the area where she had tugged on Valen and glanced at the coat on the ground. She pointed to it and looked at Valen.

"Can I look at this?" she asked.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:37 am

Valen looked like he was sleeping sitting up with his arms crossed, but he opened a single eye before looking away again, not necessarily saying no.

"Think you're smart! You try that reckless magic again and I'll really lose it!" Fable shouted back.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:41 am

"You talk big for someone hiding in the cupboards," Remi called back. "Besides, this time..."

She tried to scan Valen's coat, hoping to find the spearhead he had shown Rory and her earlier.

"I plan on using something I actually did learn this time."
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 am

"Shadows don't 'hide' little lady. They wait."

A black mass emerged from the ground behind Remi, looming over her.

"You think I'm just a friendly little specter."

"But you should learn the hard way that out there are lots of things just like me. And that should terrify you."

Fable was talking, but his voice kept changing, shifting from man to woman, child to adult, some familiar and some not. Several strange limbs started to stretch from the shadow as a dozen different voices started whispering.

Whats that in the mirror?

In the corner of your eye?

Whats that footstep following?

But never passing by?

Perhaps the lot is waiting,

Perhaps when you're all dead.

Out they'll come a slithering...

Fable stretched out, his form like the shadow of a limbless withering body and a head with no face, a swirling vortex where the mouth should be.

"From underneath your bed..."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:18 am

Remi's hands felt something solid within the cloak and just as her hands wrapped around it and revealed what it was, a shadow loomed above her.

She whirled around, seeing Fable emerge from the shadows and start morphing into different things. She was stunned but only for a moment as when he started forming, her expression then shifted to one of determination. For a moment, her bright eyes sharpened.

"I never said I wasn't scared," she said, her voice slightly shaky. "But I'd rather be someone who faces what scares her than run away from it. Because sometimes, facing things like you is just..."

Her hands gripped tightly on a handle.

"A matter of..."

Thud!

A sharp thing would dig into the wooden floor where the tip of Fable's shadow was.

"Persisting."

She stood up and looked Fable straight in the eyes, her irises shining brightly with a perception to them.

"You've been tagged," she said plainly.
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:26 am

"Eh?"

The featureless head seemed to look down, staring at the spearhead like some foreign object before letting out a shrill shriek.

"NONONONONONONO!"

Suddenly the vaguely shaped form snaped into just some writhing balck mass trying to twist and pull in all directions.

"No no no no! You cheated!" Fable wailed, trying desperately to free himself, but the spearhead securely pinned him in place.

Valen opened a single eye, staring at the scene of this formless boogeyman now desperately crying for help in the face of a young child. The warlock closed his eyes again, this time in contemplation before looking out the window.

"What a nice sunrise..."

Just as he said it, light peaked through the curtains. He got up and strode over, walking pass Remi to pick up his coat and headed for the door.

"Let's go."

"Wait wait wait! Free meeeee!" Fable wailed, still trying to pull away from the spearhead.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:48 am

Remi looked at Valen, her eyes trailing as the tall figure moved towards the door and talked about leaving. Fable meanwhile stayed with the spearhead.

Remi then looked at Rory who now was surprisingly draped over the armchair snoring. She realized Rory had probably been sleep deprived all of yesterday and that she had kept her up with her insistence of going with Valen.

Remi slowly walked over to Fable and pulled the spearhead from the ground. She'd rush over to Valen and hand it over.

"Here," she said. "I couldn't have won without this. That said...I guess I'm not going to go with you after all."

The last line came sadly, but she looked at Valen and smiled.

"I wanted to go with you out of impulse more than anything," she said. "I didn't like the idea of being alone. But...going with you now isn't the clearheaded thing to do. I want to really be worth going with you and that means being patient enough and ready to do so. I think if I stay here and read--maybe practice when Rory can visit, I can learn magic and be stronger."

She'd reach for Valen's hand and then place the spearhead in his palm.

"Promise me you'll come back though?" she said. "I won after all. You have to bring me along eventually."
    Grimoire
    Grimoire

Post by Grimoire Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 am

Fable immediately retreated back to Valen's feet in a huff. Valen looked down at the girl trying to hand him back his old spearhead. He knelt down to one knee and curled her fingers over the broken shaft.

"I think it's yours now," Valen stated. "It was my spear long ago. It broke the night my path changed. I kept it as a sort of keepsake but... perhaps it belongs to you now."

Valen tugged at the bandages wrapped around the broken shaft, unveiling a small smooth stone underneath.

"I sometimes look at it just to think about the past," Valen said. "Use it to decide your future."

With that, Valen got up and left, his cloak waving with each step as he slowly disappeared over the horizon.

~~~~

"You went easy on her, didn't you," Valen muttered under his breath.

"Now now, you never expected her to win, did you?" Fable cackled. "I just wanted to give her a fighting chance."

"It's my fault for forgetting about the spear," Valen sighed. "Still, I did not expect her to stay behind willingly."

"Yeah well, good riddance," Fable scoffed. "A spoiled little brat sidekick would only water down our tale."

"You're actually disappointed, aren't you?" Valen commented dryly.

"Me? As if," Fable scoffed, but then he let out a low cackle. "Still, that girl did have a fire..."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 pm