A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Day 3: Danger in the Backstreets; [open]

Lilac
    Admin

Day 3: Danger in the Backstreets; [open]

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 am

Not every square of the city was taken in with festivities. Far into the backstreets where it lacks streetlights and traffic, something was going on away from the public eye. Several local officers were guarding the middle of multiple intersecting alleys, closing off a section of the area where even more officers and some expiate soldiers were skulking around, examining every inch. The surrounding walls were covered in scorch marks and suffered some excessive damage. There were tears and new cracks along the cement ground that resembled the strikes of a wild beast. Some expiate officers on duty during the fair were around examining the various damage. in the center of it all was a burnt up headless corpse, the head only a few feet away, burnt up beyond recognition.

Standing over and examining the corpse was a ginger man wearing a chestnut brown suit and a bowler hat.

Jinn Brettman rolled a lolipop around using his tongue, one hand in his jacket pocket, the other dangling lazily at his side. He was leaning on his left leg, staring down at the body intently.

"What the hell happened here..." he muttered absently.

The investigation was going on away from the fair and away from the public eye, but there was a chance the locals who had passed by and saw the investigation could've spread word or rumor about to others .

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Day 3: Danger in the Backstreets; [open]

The third day arrive, the last day of the fair, and just like a lot of people enjoying it, Goibniu was feeling a bit disappointed that it was all going to end so soon. He was devoted to his job and responsabilities, but he couldn't help but find a lot of enjoyment in this event, and at least he couldn't deny that he had a great time.

However, his job didn't take any breaks at all.

As he walked around, he couldn't help but hear a couple rumors of an investigation going on somewhere away from the fair, and his moustache perked up when he realized that it also had the expiate involved in this. Could this be another case of a Walpurgis on the hunt? There was only way to find out!

So, during a moment everyone was distracted, Goibniu went ahead and snuck out of the fair's perimeters, and going towards the area where the investigation was taking place. Given how it was the last day, he knew that there'd probably be a big closure event, so Goibniu made a note to not poke around for long, or else he'll miss everything. And after a few minutes of walking, he reached the area, as he found a few regular officers and even expiate officers guarding what appearead to be the scene of the crime.

Minor destruction of property and and a charred, headless corpse. Ow, this was bad.

"Wow, what in blazes happened here?" Goibniu asked, his voice accidentally sounding loud enough for the investigator to hear him, despite there being guards between them.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"Please sir, stand back and move one with your day," of the guards told the Enkidu, as if reading from a script. "This is a private investigation by the local authorities present. Please proceed with your day."

The officer was cut off by the sound of a sharp cat whistle. He turned his head to look back. The ginger man was making a beckoning gesture without looking away from the corpse. The officer looked back at Goibniu warily before taking a step to the side to give him ways and gestured towards the ginger man.

"Sir Jinn would like to speak to you."

When Goibniu would approach the man in the chestnut-brown suit, he'd give him a tip of his bowler hate before turning back to the corpse.

"You're that enkidu they brought in the force as an experiment, yeah?" Jinn asked casually. "Name's Jinn Germaine Brettman of house Brettman. Call me Jinn. Call me Brettman. Call me Susie. Whatever you like. I've had lots of experience working with Enkidu. Your heighten senses can help us out here. Can you pick anything up in the air? Anything notable about the scene here you wanna investigate?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Whoops, perhaps he shouldn't have said that out loud.

He was about to give an apology, when suddenly a whisper interrupted the both of them. The source was someone that was seemingly beckoning Goibniu to step in, accompanied with the guard mentioning that he should probably approach the stranger. "Ah, understand. Good day sir." Goibniu said, smiling at the guard before walking towards Jinn.

It did surprise him a bit when he referencing Goibniu as not only an officer, but the Enkidu officer. "Indeed I am! Name's Goibniu McCrae, officer of the Stahlmin division." He saluted Jinn, and heard that he required his assistance in this investigation. "Mmmmh... First, I'd have to ask what exactly happened here. Given the current... look of the scene, I'd rule out that this was all just a mere accident. What do you know about, Sir Brettman?" He asked, looking at the corpse cautiously. He knew nothing of mecidine or forensic investigations, but he was more than sure trouble was afoot.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:22 am

"Right, heard about you from your higher-ups. Alright, so I'll give you the rundown since you're so nosy. To be frank, we no absolutely nothing, here's a peppermint by the way, in case the smell is too strong," the officer kept talking without so much as a pause as he fished out a red and white striped candycane from him coat pocket and offered it to the Enkidu. "Morning comes, we get a panicked report, we come here and find a decapitated guy so burned up we can't identify him and one of our own officers dead at the scene. There are scorch marks everywhere, there are long, straight cuts on the ground, and I'm pretty sure this taffy is green apple flavored, not lime. You want any taffy?"

The ginger man lifted a bar of chewy green candy towards Goibniu.

"Now here's the question. There is clear traces of Cantus magic used here according to our magical forensics experts. There's prominent radiation coming from the scorch marks and we can just barely find evidence that there was an incantus present during the incident. So why pray tell did we not pick it up?"

Jinn was tearing the wrapper off a bar of chocolate now and took a beastly bite out of it.

"There are officers stationed everywhere during these event and all of them equipped with the ability to pick up Cantus activity. Now we can't as easily catch small obsolete instances, but this, I mean, look at this."

He waved at the general area around them to make a point.

"It's no small feed cutting straight into solid stone and brick like a room temperature cheesecake, and this is a lot of fire and brimstone we're talking about here. How in the world did we pick up none of this while it was happening?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 am

"Nothing at all? That is very strange." He said, refusing the peppermint cane he was offered. He then heard the debriefing of the siuation Jinn and their fellow officers were stuck in, only interjecting to accept the taffy, which was more of Goibniu's taste. At first hand, it looked like a completely mysterious case, with a mysterious man, a dead officer, and an attack that was somehow able to slip throught the radar, while at the same time leaving a big mark on the scene of the crime,

"So despite this being an act clearly of Cantus nature, no one was able to pick it up until it was too late?"
    Goibniu said, a finger placed on his chin, as he tried to think of something. "That seems rather odd. I could believe that the culprit may have kept their Cantus hidden by using it at small quantities, but this... this is too big to be concealed!" He said, looking astounded at how apparently no one detected this grievous event. His eyes turned to the downed officer, and then turned to the inspector. "What do we know of our departed officer? Was he patrolling the scene, or he just happened to be here by chance?" Unless something comes up, Goibniu felt the only link they have at the moment would be the dead officer.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"Good instincts there kiddo," Jinn complimented, the candy cane in his mouth bobbing up and down with every word. "Our records indicate this area was part of the officer's patrol route. Outside of that, we don't know much. Coroners already took away the body to investigate more thoroughly. We should get a full report by the end of the day but I spotted the body before they took and I can tell you the obvious. The officer got stabbed through with something big and was burned into charcoal, much like smokey over here."

The officer bit straight through his candycane and crunched it between his teeth loudly.

"I knew the officer. He was a good man. He's a single dad, or was. His kid's waiting for him at home. I don't know what to do about that but I'm gonna hunt this son of a witch down."

He punched his right fist into his left palm, a blue spark bursting from the impact.

"Anything else you wanna ask?" Jinn asked the Enkidu.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

So it turns out that the person wasn't just some unlucky officer being the wrong man at the wrong place, but was rather doing his due diligence, patrolling this specific area of the city. Goibniu frowned when Jinn mentioned that the man was a sindle father, something that struck a personal chord.

Even if it was only in recent years, losing his mother was still a painful event. He can't even begin to imagine what will happen to the kid who now lost both of their parents.

"I am still rather curious about the other gentleman, the headless one." He said, trying to think over how he'd fit in all of this. "I believe we can rule out the death of your fellow officer as just a casualty of work. May his soul rest easy. But then that leaves us with the other stranger. Are you sure there's no way to identify who this other person was? Maybe through his clothing or anything?" It was clear that trying to guess who he was through his face would be useless, considering how his head was now practically indistinguishable from charcoal. But perhaps he had something in his pocket that could help them?

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 am

The ginger man shook his head.

"Clothes, hair, even just about every drop of blood this body had at any point were burned up. The shape of the pelvis tell us he was a male according to the forensics team. Average size, what seems to be a sturdy build, what the heck he had to do with this, I don't know. There were some metal shards scattered around here. We had already picked them up to analyze but so far we can't identify what they were originally."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 am

For a moment, Goibniu looked at Jinn with an impressed look, as he mentioned that even the man's blood was burned. It could just be an expression to demonstrate how the man was immolated beyond recognition, but at the same time, given the sorry state he was in, it wouldn't be surprising if his blood did indeed boil over the intense heat the man succumbed to. Which was a rather terrifying way to die, assuming he wasn't already dead by that point.

The mention of metal pieces intrigued him though. "Metal shards? That sounds rather strange. Where you able to tell the size of those shards? Or if they had some sort of marking?" It was true that they were taken away, but perhaps Jinn or the guards were able to notice something at plain sight, as Goibniu had no idea what could those shards be. Or what they originally composed. Perhaps some container or something? Or maybe a weapon?

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:16 pm