Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Day 01 Fighter's Guild Tournament; prelude to the finals

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Day 01 Fighter's Guild Tournament; prelude to the finals  - Page 2 Empty Re: Day 01 Fighter's Guild Tournament; prelude to the finals

Post by Lilac Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:17 am

The doctor stared at Gwyn blankly for a while in silence. The seconds ticked away like a candle burning a rope attached to a guillotine. Then he out laughing, holding his gut and bending over.

"AH HAHAHAH! Oh no no, I'm sorry I'm sorry" he gasped an apology between chuckles. "It's just, I've only heard such a grand dream once before."

Marshalls hunched over and giggled out the last of his amusement before sniffling it in and wiping a tear from his eye. "Sorry sorry, I didn't mean to imply I thought your dream was silly. It's just quite new though."

He intertwined his fingers and rested them on his crossed legs, leaning back and taking in a deep breath to calm himself. "So tell me, what sort of kingdom are you hoping to accomplish, hm?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Day 01 Fighter's Guild Tournament; prelude to the finals  - Page 2 Empty Re: Day 01 Fighter's Guild Tournament; prelude to the finals

Post by Lilac Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 am

Saki's ears straightened in surprise upon hearing Gwyn's statement. She looked at her with wide eyes. She wanted to say something, but the Doctor beat her to it and started talking. She agreed it did seem like a rather odd and grandiose ambition, but who was she to judge? After all, she had her own big dreams too.

"A kingdom, eh? And where would this be?" she said curiously, albeit there was the slightest hint of hesitance and suspicion in her voice.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"..." Gwyn, for her part, took the laughing in stride, swinging her weapon back onto her back and crossing her arms as she let him work it out of his system. Finally, though, there was some words of substance being spoken! "Well, isn't it obvious? A kingdom where people won't be discriminated again based on what they have and don't have, or what they are born with or without. If you unite people under the proper banner, it shouldn't be too hard, right?" she said, looking sure in her words.

"As for where it'd be... I think I'll name it after its lands. 'Esterelf' has a good ring to it, right?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Heh. Well that is certainly a lovely ideal," the doctor remarked. His statement didn't hold any sarcasm or mocking tones. He does seem to honestly have some curiosity to Gwyn's statement. "And? How would you build this kingdom of yours? How would you make your ideals reality?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Saki said nothing and merely listened as Gwyn would go on talking about this idealized kingdom, but the more she described it, the more Saki's chirpy mood faded, and turned into a serious one. Instead of looking at Gwyn as the girl spoke, she began fiddling with her boots, and her gauntlets, checking every nook to see if they were in place, to see if she had enough ammunition, that sort of stuff, but she was listening regardless.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 am

"How would I build it?" Gwyn repeated, unaware of Saki's change in demeanor, "... Well, I'd prefer it to be diplomatically, using politics... but in this world, might makes right. I'm afraid the only way I could achieve it would be... w-well, after it's formed... I think I'd like the people to rule. Once it's established, I think I'd step down and allow the country to be led by a group of advisers, perhaps chosen by the populace! I'm not sure on the mechanics, yet, but I think it'd change things up from the constant cycle, and with the right requirements it'll protect the downtrodden, don't you agree?" she asked, looking rather excited that, for once, she was talking about her dream not to a bunch of drunken soldiers, but someone who actually seemed interested in her idea.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Hm. So you want to form a republic then?" Marshalls mused as he listened along. "That's a unique one. So your goal isn't to rule but to create an ideal society?"

The doctor raised a fist to his mouth and chuckled into it. "You're quite fascinating young lady. Your vision certainly sounds appealing. But young lady, are you that confident you'll find the kind of people capable of upholding such a high belief across a nation? Different people have different views afterall. Even if they followed your visions, perhaps their thoughts are a little different? And what of their children? And all those after them? How would you handle immigration? Would you screen people to make sure they fit your standards? But then...."

The young doctor presented the swordmaiden with a series of difficult questions and scenarios. However, his tone didn't seem to be berating. Rather, he seemed supportive and trying to give something for the young lady to think about.

"Sorry, I'm not looking down on your dream now," Marshalls apologized sheepishly. "It's just, if you truly want to inspire people, you need this much. However, I will admit, if I was still a young soldier, I might've loved to see you achieve that dream."

He slipped on his metal gauntlets and adjusted them.

"I'm sure your idea seems like a fool's fantasy, however," Marshalls flashed Gwyn a bright smile, "Every kingdom and every country was founded by a fool with a goal, afterall. I look forward to seeing how far you'll get."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"That's already what Stahlmin does," Saki said blankly.

She was referring to how Gwyn would want to the country to be led. Her voice was far from the high-pitched and happy one earlier, and her curious expression had turned into a hard and stoic one. Saki had just finished adjusting her gauntlets and had raised one in the air as she examined it in the light.

"Stahlin used to be a monarchy, but it's now led by a consulate," she said matter-of-factly. "But just because there's no harsh ruler doesn't mean there aren't people without their own objectives. And just because the first people you select don't have their own self-interest doesn't mean who the people decide to foolishly support the next time around are the same. I mean, look at Stahlin now: Sure it's not ruled by a corrupt tyrant, but the consul is heavily focused on siding with one party or another. Meanwhile, policies are too lenient to business-owners and harsh on the working class, and just because there are less harsh Walpurgis policies doesn't mean there isn't discrimination towards the Walpurgis because of the culture people grew up in and because of the threat of Moira forming."

The golden furnishings on Saki's gauntlet seemed to shimmer like fire in the sunlight. The Enkidu lowered her arm down and pushed herself off a little too forcefully off the bench. She didn't look at either Marshall or Gwyn, but she continued to speak.

"Everyone has this stupid idea that their ideal is what's best for everyone," she said. "But guess what: No two people agree on the exactly same thing, nor do two people agree exactly on how something is supposed to be ruled. And no one is immune to developing their own self-interests. So when people finally start getting angry and try to shove their ideals on how things are supposed to be run and no one agrees, you know what happens? It gets bloody."

Upon saying the last word, there was now an apparent anger in Saki's voice. She clenched her gauntlet-covered hands tightly.

"Do you know why so many Enkidu left their hometown?" she asked. "It's because a bunch of clans decided: Hey, this isn't how this place should be run. I have a better idea. And now everyone's fighting, and homes are being destroyed, and citizens pit themselves against one another because they think a person disagreeing with them doesn't want what's best for the land. Maybe you'll be able to make a land for yourself, yeah, maybe you'll even win a war if you're lucky. But that never ever means it's without a cost, and that it'll ever stay that way."

By this time, Saki's words were already being spat out like venom. She paused for a moment, and sighed.

"People are just stupid that way," she said.

Loading her gauntlets with ammunition, the girl glanced temporarily at Gwyn. Whatever light Saki had in her eyes was gone, and now left her with a hollow expression.

"You better finish gearing up. The battle's supposed to start any minute now right? I'm gonna go find my friend now."

And with that, Saki left the doctor and Gwyn.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Marshalls, despite his series of questions, had gotten a positive effect out of Gwyn. But before she could respond to him, Saki spoke up, and boy did she have a lot to say on the matter. Gwyn's eyes widened as Saki spoke of her views on politics and changing of rulers, before, finally, she seemed to have had enough, and left the two.

"... Hmmm... She brings up good points..." Gwyn muttered, before glancing back at the doctor. clearly taking Saki's outburst to heart. "... Luckily, I'll have time to think about these things if everything works out well. You're right, these are important matters, matters perhaps outside my realm of comprehension... but that's why I want to find fellows who believe in the same dream, who understand things better than I do. I'll admit... I'm still but a babe when it comes to such things. But I hope to be the might my betters can use to achieve our goal. ... I could use a man like you in my group, if you'd be interested."

Giving Marshalls a small nod, Gwyn adjusted the weapon on her back and started outwards.

"Something to keep in mind, Doctor. I don't expect an answer right off the bat... but I do hope you give it some thought."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Marshalls chuckled lightheartedly at Gwyn's proposal. "Well, I am honored by the offer," he stated. "However, my time as a soldier is long done. I am content with helping people as much as I can. That is my duty as a doctor."

He flashed Gwyn a kind smile. "But I look forward to seeing where your passion leads you."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am