A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Day 01 Fighter's Guild Contest Fight 01; Gwyn vs Ren Lyncain

Lilac
    Admin

Day 01 Fighter's Guild Contest Fight 01; Gwyn vs Ren Lyncain

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 am

The sky was clear and the crowd was jumpy with anticipation. The area has been cleaned and swept fresh in preparation, tiny particles of salt sprinkled along the ground to maintain traction. Without the four dozen contenders crammed into it, the arena stage seemed a lot more spacious. The stone blocks are arranged to a solid square measuring 35x35 meters. It was plenty of room for a one on one fight, but the risk of stepping out of bounds is prominent.

All of the onlookers looked excitedly on as they brought out the fighters paired to contend. The rules were simple. Weapons and magic were allowed in any form but killing is forbidden. Any style of fighting is allowed as long as the view of the audience is not obscured from the main action. No outside interference allowed, etc etc. The winner gets to proceed to the next round, the loser gets booted. The fighters were placed right center of the stage, ten meters apart from each other and an even space away from the boundaries.

The boy in the traveling cloak stood there with a blank look, staring at Gwyn with complete indifference. The large weapon was still wrapped up like a mummy and slung on his back, his arms still hidden under his cloak.

"First off, we have the professional hunter, Ren Lyncain!" the enthusiastic announcer declared. "Don't let his youthful appearance full ya! This young man bested dozens of trained warriors during the knockout round of the competition and all while only using a single arm! Look forward to this one folks! Judging by the weapon on his back, he's a heavy weapons user and we always welcome those around here!"

The crowd let out a cheer. The young boy didn't so much as move an inch and kept his eyes locked ahead.

"And over here we have another unexpected contender! Give it up for the young lady folks!"

More cheers and applause came from the crowd. The referee stepped back, allowing the contenders a brief moment to have a verbal exchange prior to the fight as is customs.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Day 01 Fighter's Guild Contest Fight 01; Gwyn vs Ren Lyncain

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 am

In contrast, Gwyn looked almost cocky; a small grin was present on her face as she leaned against her sword, the tip resting against the stones below, and thrust a finger at him.

"As promised, I have come to deliver on your quest to find worthy adversaries!" she announced, her lips parted at the left side and showing off her teeth. "A hunter, though... I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. After all, my older sibling shares the same title. Well then, Hunter, let us make this a memorable one!" This would be a good chance to show off her skills... though, maybe she should hold back a little? What if her future enemies were to gain too much intel on her from fighting?

No, it'd be alright. Her ace was still hidden away, waiting for the right moment to be revealed at the fair. She could afford to go all out on Ren and give him a proper match.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:34 am

The excitement of the crowd did not diminish as they awaited the fight to officially start, watching on as they presumed the two were exchanging taunts and bluffs while at ease.

The boy's nose twitched as he took a quick sniff of air in some sort of indifferent snort.

"The career of hunter is different around here," he muttered under his breath. "I don't care. I just want to fight." He glared off to the side with a look of disappointment and clicked his tongue. "I wanted to fight the man in the coat or the one that smelled like peppermint. I end up with a child."

His right arm emerged from his cloak and gripped the handle of the weapon on his back. As he tugged it, the cloth wrapping came undone and and unfurled itself until it all fell in a messy pile behind him. He hefted up his weapon and let it slam down at his side, the weight so heavy that it dug a little into the ground. The weapon's handle was long enough to grip with two hands but he only kept one holding it. The blade was as long as he was tall and wide enough to smash a head with the flat of the blade. It was sturdy, very thick barely angled. The edges of the blade were practically parallel to one another and instead of a point, the tip ended in a curve like the edge of an axe. Overall the weapon looked more like it was meant for smashing rather than cutting.

"Use magic or whatever, I don't care," the swordsman named Ren stated. "And attack me anytime, even before the judge announces the start if you want. I am Ren, son of Haku and Yue of the Lyncain clan, son of a soldier. I shall fight you in honorable combat."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Gwyn took the bemoaning in stride, quietly listening to the boy introduce himself. His weapon seemed like less of a sword and more of a slab of metal, it'd be suicide to end under it, but his swings would surely be slower than her own. It was intimidating, but not unstoppable.

"You will find such a challenge, despite your besmirchment of my honor. I am Gwyndolin Althaus, future lord! Come at me as you see fit!" Gwyn brought her sword up, counterbalancing the weight of the blade by holding the handle near the end; his sword wasn't the only with a gimmick, as her's seemed more fashioned to be a lance. That design would lead to her victory, but only if she could get to that point. She would wait for the judge's call, no, she'd wait for him to make the first move! That was the first step!

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

The mages stood by, relaying the images of the fight to the outside, the crowd cheered on in excitement encouraging the fight to get going. The ref looked down at his pocket watch and snapped it close as he gave a nod in the direction of some box with a high view completely separate from all the other audience benches.

"Alright! It's showtiiiiime!" the same grizzly voice that kicked off the knockout round screamed out. "3! 2! 1! GO! GO! GOOOO!"

The crowd erupted in cheer as the fight started.

The young boy still stood in place, his weapon still rested against the ground. Letting out a tired sigh, he hefted up the weapon and let the edge rest on his shoulder.

"I said to attack me," he continued to provoke. "If you're really a warrior, then prove it. I don't wanna waste energy on a puppy."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

If this was an acutal fight, she'd have stood her ground, but Gwyn knew that there were two objectives here; to win the tournament, of course, and also to woo the crowd. She'd need the heart of a showman.

She'd have to take the first step. As Ren taunted her, she silently reinforced her legs, putting as much anima into them as possible. Her next move was quick; by the time he finished the word "puppy", she was right in front of him, sword stretched out like a lance in an attempt to knock that slab of metal out of his hand; she hoped to push it out of his hand by planting the tip of her blade into the bottom of his sword-ax's grip and shoving it through.

Of course, nothing ever goes as planned.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"-py." The young boy's words were met with the point of a weapon so close, he could've kissed it. Yet, his expression didn't seem to waver. On the contrary, his eyes seen as staring indifferently up until now, while not seeming to change, seem to have a piercing gaze to them when seen this close. In a fluid motion completely opposite of a heavy weapons user, he pivoted on his left toes, pushing off the ground with his right foot and he rotated his body ninety degrees. Gwyn's attack brush by, barely missing its mark. The boy moved as though the world was moving in slow motion.

The moment his rotation stopped, his right foot planted firmly to the ground and his left pivot leg suddenly shot up, his knee shooting right for the young swordsgirl's side right under the ridcage right when her body would pass by in mid leap. If connected, the force of the knee would feel like a mace and chain slamming right into and unprotected body.

"So it is designed for thrusting," Ren muttered as he reconfirmed it. "What a sad weapon choice. You leave too many openings thrusting something that cumbersome without riding horseback. This is why I hate heavy weapon users. Too much bulk, not enough brain."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

He was fast! Her suspicions were confirmed as soon as he effortlessly dodged her attack, and as he brought his knee up, she brought her arms back to shield her exposed side. Though the parry absorbed most of the force, he'd still made contact with her body however and sent her skidding backwards, a hand leaving her sword to clutch her side.

He talked too much, but it gave her a chance to recover. The sharp pain was, with some meditative breathing, subsiding; she'd suffered worse, far worse, but damn did it hurt. She wouldn't want to take too many of those.

"One piece of advice, boy... you shouldn't talk so much in a fight. You'll bite your tongue," she said quietly, a fire burning in her eyes as she raised the weapon again. He thought he had her and Glory's Bane all figured out... which meant she still had a few chances to surprise him yet. "You've got a good defense, I'll give you that... So, did you steal that weapon and run away from home? Why else would you be so frantic to prove yourself?" She could provoke him right back if she had to, but either way, she needed to see his offense in action before she could figure out what was the right tactic.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"If this was a true battle, our blades would be clashing without a word," he stated plainly. "But you have not proven to be an opponent I need to take seriously."

He lifted his massive weapon off his shoulder and held it to the side, the tipping pointing to his right.

"I am on a pilgrimage," he stated plainly. "I wish to test my abilities against strong warriors. In order to prove myself equal to the twelve, I must face opponents of all kinds."

Still with only his right hand on the weapon, he lifted it up and bent his knees in a small crouch.

"If you won't show me a challenge, then I will strike you down now."

The young boy suddenly went into a sprint, charging head-first towards Gwyn with long strides, the edge of his blade scraping against the ground and creating sparks by the friction. His sprint speed was fast for someone lugging around a slab of metal that large, but wasn't anything unavoidable. As he closed the distance, getting just within six feet from Gwyn, he swung his sword at a wide arc in front of him. During the swing, he stepped forward towards Gwyn, closing in another foot, and swung the blade back following the same arc.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"All opponents deserve respect," Gwyn shot back, readying her weapon as she watched him crouch down. Yes, it looked like he was finally ready to attack, and she watched as he swung his blade, then stepped in...

Wait, she knew this! He was using the weight of the blade to maneuver! Which meant that his swing was coming back arou--

Gwyn braced herself, turning her sword so the side was angled to the upcoming swing and reinforced her limbs. By the time the large weapon was coming her way again, she'd set it up properly; the blade was angled steep enough to slow the attack down, but still low enough to divert and deflect the attack. With that done, she stepped in as well; getting right up in his face, she attempted to duck low and send the top of her forehead into the boy's nose while he wrangled his weapon back under control!

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:45 am