A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Day 01 The Fighter's Guild Contest

Lilac
    Admin

Day 01 The Fighter's Guild Contest

Post by Lilac on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 pm

The town square has been overtaken once again by a wooden arena built overnight. The walls stand high lined with bleachers for those who can afford the tickets. Otherwise, cartic mages are stationed outside the walls, showing the events inside by projecting illusions. Although there was one weird novice mage whose projection was curved inwards, though even stranger the picture was still clear.

A large man with chiseled muscles wearing plate leggings and a leather apron in place of an actual shirt stood outside the curtain-covered entryway. He was idly flipping a stone hammer in the air and catching it by the handle while scratching his beard. Next to him was a cash box and he handed out the tickets as people payed up. Yet an armored man with a battleaxe walked up to him and wordlessly, the bearded man nodded to a second door next to the main entrance and the armor man walked through without a word.

"PROVE YOUR POWER AND SKILLS IN THE PRELIMINARY ROUNDS OF THE FIGHTER GUILD'S TOURNAMENT!" a cloaked man shouted in the surrounding seats. "WIN A FEAST FIT FOR KINGS AND THE APPLAUSE OF LORDS AND LADIES! FACE OFF AGAINST NOBLE KNIGHTS AND STRONGARM BRUTES ALIKE!"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Day 01 The Fighter's Guild Contest

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:15 am

There was another who stepped forward. Hardly comparable to the previous warrior, this one was... well, short was a starting description. Also, young. A small girl wearing lace and frills, with roses adorning her dress and the ribbons she wore on the sides of her head. She wore a brilliant smile on her face, much like the child she was, but one more suited for an outing with friends than potentially lethal combat. Strapped to her back was the one thing that proved her devotion to the task at hand; a large, long sword, unique in design, with a hilt that seemed created around the slab of steel.

"I am here to partake in the tournament!" she proudly announced, focusing her attention on the bearded man. "I look forward to facing the sharpest of swords and wits in honorable combat... and my feast, afterwards." It had taken quite a few pelts from quite a few rare sources, but Gwyn Althaus was rather proud of her new dress; it showed her trade, and her regalia, rather well, if she could say so herself. Originally, the plan called to not stand out, but upon hearing word of a tournament, she had to change the little scheme to taking the winner's table. Surely, it would attract the interests of the lords and ladies, and with that, surely she could find a way to the Renewal of Vows... and her grand debut.

But, for now, it was better to focus on the simple things. For starters, leaving a good first impression with this man who seemed to decide who would fight, and who would not.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"Braggards go nowhere with me," the man sighed tiredly, not even bothering to look down at the young girl. "You wanna impress somebody, go through that entrance." He pointed a callused finger at the opening to his left. "I'm just the blacksmith. If they were picky about who enters, the guild leader would be standing here, not me."

*ching* *ching*

The chime of bells suddenly jingled. Moving right pass Gwyn without a single regard to the blacksmith, a man walked right by. At least, it was assumingly a man. The person wore checkered pants and a sparrow-tail coat with puffed shoulders. Around his neck he wore a long scarf, large bells tied to the ends. On his head he wore a red top hat while his face was covered by a mask with a dramatic smile drawn on it. The blacksmith glared at the flamboyantly colored person wryly as he entered through the fighter's entrance. Besides that first bell chimes, the man didn't seem to make a single sound.

"See what I mean? That clown comes every year," he stated tiredly.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"... Oh. Well, I had assumed you were deciding who could join or not," Gwyn muttered, watching the other participant enter before looking back and shrugging. "Well, then, I hope you at least enjoy this year's competition. For now though, farewell, I'm heading on in!" With that, she followed after the jester-esque individual, tossing one final glance at the outside world before entering what was surely the lion's den.

Well, even if it was, it was her den! These poor suckers were but prey who had wandered in, or something along those lines!

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Entering through the curtain flap, the tourney participants find themselves in a large, circular room wide enough to fit twenty grown men standing shoulder-to-shoulder in a line. Fighters of all sorts seem to fill the room. The grizzly-looking blacksmith outside was not kidding when he said the guild didn't discriminate. Anyone with enough balls to walk inside the room was welcomed. There were hulking warriors to dwarfish sized ax men.

On one side of the room was a big opening blocked by wooden bars that looked like someone copped down whole trees and just sanded down the trunks enough to smooth them out. just enough on an opening was left to see the arena outside. The bleachers were filling up with viewers of all social classes that spent the coin to watch the infamous contest among warriors. A wide, circular area was left in the middle and a massive square platform of stone bricks laid awaiting. Each corner was occupied by a stone pillar with bladed weapons wedged into them and a blazing torch sat atop each pillar.

To the right were tables filled with greasy meats and fresh fruit, nothing compared to the grand prize but there was enough pigs in a blanket to sate the appetite of anyone who wanted a bite. To the left were small tables and a large barrel dispensing mead. It was a room exploding in testosterone. Despite the coming competition, many of the fighters chatted and slung arm-in-arm as if old friends.

Most seem too preoccupied making new friends to approach but a few loners were scattered about. To name some, that jester from earlier was standing around, juggling daggers idly without a care. A wide, empty circle was around him. Either everyone was wary of a stray juggling dagger poking an eye out or were avoiding the clown purposefully.

Over at the tables was a young man with messy black hair poking out of his hood, his body blanketed in a traveler's cloak.despite having a leg of mutton and a tankard of mead in front of him, he didn't bother eating or eating. A package was strapped to his back wrapped in dirt gauze. It was in the shape of a large sword with a seemingly wide blade and a medium length about as long as an arm.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 am

"Hmmmm..." Gwyn found herself trapped in a bit of a predicament; she was interested in the mysterious jester, of course, but getting stabbed, even on accident, would present a problem later on. Instead, she decided on the less dangerous-looking of the two, and flopped down opposite of the young man. "Are you going to eat that?" she asked, eyeing it a bit hungrily.

"It's bad manners to leave food uneaten, you know," she chided him half-heartedly, before reaching out to offer her hand, poking out from the detached sleeve covering her arm. "I'm Gwyn Althaus, a fellow participant! In case you encounter me in the tournament, I recommend eating your fill... you will need all the energy you can muster!" He seemed like a nice enough guy, so no need to play the antisocial warrior or whatever yet, right?

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"...."

The cloaked boy slowly raised his head. Now slightly less shadowed by his hood, he revealed narrow yellow eyes, staring at Gwyn sharply. Eventually though, he raise a hand out of his cloak. He wore a leather glove that seemed to cover his whole armor. A steel plate was sewn into the back of his hand and his fingers remain uncovered. He pushed the plate in Gwyn's direction before pulling his arm back.

"Go ahead," he muttered. His voice was dry and sharp. He didn't leave his eye contact with the girl before him, as if sizing her up. "Domesticated livestock is fat and spoiled. It ruined my appetite."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Gwyn gave him a rough handshake, not out of malice or an attempt to intimidate him, but simply because it was her style, before staring at the plate pushed her way.

"I, er, wasn't exactly asking for this, but I thank you nonetheless!" Despite her protests, Gwyn tore into it, disregarding such mundane things as table manners, or for that matter manners in general as she also took a gulp of the mead. "Pwah... It's not spoiled! Spoiled meat's completely different from this, gross really, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes. I suppose I can understand disliking such a fatty meal... but I always feel rather energized after such a thing! Heh, once the tournament wraps up, I'll have to compare my victor's feast to this!" she talked, to him sure, but also to herself.

"So, Nameless Traveler, what's your goal in this tournament? Are you here for honor, fame, good competition? Or perhaps... something more?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

The young man didn't seem phased by the in the slightest by the gesture or Gwyn's mannerisms. He closed his eyes and sank back silently as if taking a nap until Gwyn furthered inquired him. He slowly opened his eyes, still staring at the girl rather blankly.

"..... Are you strong?"

The young boy sank back in his seat, closing his eyes without waiting for an answer.

"You can give fame to the next circus freak and anyone with limbs can compete. All I want is to fight someone strong."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

"Well, if you're looking for strength, then you have come to the right place," Gwyn said, giving a small nod. "I'm sure a few people here are rather strong, as am I. I hope we encounter each other, so I can give you the solid thrashing you seem to be looking for, young man!" There was no malice in her words as she boasted, instead she had a bright smile on her face, like... well, an excited child. She was going to get along with this guy perfectly, she just knew it!

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:11 pm