Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

4 posters

Entering the Badlands; [Quest]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Entering the Badlands; [Quest]  - Page 3 Empty Re: Entering the Badlands; [Quest]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:34 am

Beatrice and Amalia would look at Higini warily. His reasons seemed rather suspicious and he didn't seem to be exactly looking for pay. Beatrice would look at Eun and Heinrich.

"If he tries to get away with anything, you have my permission to kill him," she said.

"B-B-B-eatrice!" Amalia squeaked.

"What?"

But the fox girl would whisk Higini on their way with Heinrich lingering slightly behind to bid the ladies farewell. Beatrice would smile, pleased, and a tad flirtingly in his direction, waving her fingers in a coy farewell gesture while Amalia merely looked on.

"Will do!" Beatrice said. "And do come back alive!"

When the three would head out, they'd see the path heading towards the border of Aldmerrow. It was not much of a border to begin with. The wall that parted Dearmad from Aldmerrow was already in front of them and aside from that the only distinct line telling where Dearmad started and Aldmerrow ended was the dried up grass turning into flat and cracked rock of the desert biome ahead. The wall would have a tall and stone border tower where a person was keeping watch. The wall itself appeared to be 30 feet in height and cast a shadow on the side opposite of where they were. A small gate port would be found where another person was waiting, and after checking their papers, they'd be provided with the supplies promised them: several backpacks that had the supplies they'd need for the next few days. After they passed the gate, they'd find themselves in the glaring heat of the deadlands before them with their map stating they had to continue marching northwards until they reached a camper's hut 500 paces away. The walk there would serve as good enough time for the travelers to become more acquainted and plan.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Entering the Badlands; [Quest]  - Page 3 Empty Re: Entering the Badlands; [Quest]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 am

"Eun Eryuell..." He read, as he looked at the notes she handed him. Huh, why couldn't she speak? Could it be that it is physically impossible for her to do it? He was willing to bet it was that. "Ah... I see. Nice to meet you, Miss Eryuell." He said, as he turned to where she was pointing, and before he could say something, she began walking toward that direction, with Heinrich following in tow. "A-Ah, wait for me!" He announced, as the three of them began the expedition.

The border keeping both Aldmerrow and Dearmad was rather imposing, as it was the first time Higini saw something like it. He stared at the checkpoint in awe before getting too behind from his team mates, and even noticed how the landscape changed as soon as they crossed the wall. "Ah... this place is much more... dismal than I think." It definitely unnerved him, despite the fact that they were not alone. "So... I came a bit late to the meeting, do we some sort of plan, or anything?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Eun would quickly retrieve her supplies before waiting for the others to catch up. As they passed the gate, she looked around in wonder at the change of scenery. It was a big contrast compared to what she was used to. Higini was the first to break the silence though, echoing her thoughts and asking if they had a plan. After looking back at Heinrich and thinking for a bit, she took her journal back out and wrote down a few lines, making sure to keep an eye on her path so that she didn't trip over anything.

It took her a few moments to finish as she wrote things on two separate pages, tearing both out and handing one page to each of them.

Higini's page read, 'Why plan when we don't know what to expect? Anything we come up with could change at a moment's notice.'

Heinrich's page read, 'Yeah, I rushed. Sorry. Is he gonna be okay?'

When handing Heinrich his page, Eun would close her right eye and put her finger to her mouth, smiling slightly. No need to upset the newcomer any further with their worries, but they did need to figure out what to do with him.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

He nodded and smiled. "Always part of the plan." He never really specified if that meant what to do about this fool of a boy or just that his plans were always to return safely. Both probably went without saying, though.

They wouldn't have to walk all this way. Heinrich still had cart and mule, and at walking speeds it was the better choice than hoofing it all the way. Even if he had any reservations, there was no helping it and he had to loan it out to two passengers as he rode up in his usual spot. He took the note Eun had for him and just smiled back at her.

There was a gravity of going past the tower and passing though the gloomy shadow behind it into the blasted wastelands beyond just emphasized it. There was nothing resembling civilization on that side of the wall, no towns, no support, no people that weren't twisted beyond recognition or soon to be victims of the same.

What was the plan he asked? That was so simple people called it 'touched' in polite company: "We take what we can carry an' leave nothing behind. What else?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:36 am

Whatever the group settled on taking, once they stepped out, they'd be greeted by the image of a white blur in the distance. Someone seemed to be walking up ahead and carrying a long white staff with a gilded lantern attached to it and decorated with flowers. If the group managed to pass the figure's way, they'd realize it was a woman, perhaps a little over five feet in height, with bright amber eyes and pink hair framing her face.

"O-oh, excuse me!" she'd say from the distance. "I hope y'all don't mind me askin', but you don't happen to be going northward, are ya?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Well, that was a thought process that was hard to argue, yes. But then again, it definitely didn't help him ease his nerves, as it was this uncertainty of not knowing that would find what troubled him. Did it mean that Eun and Heinrich were ready for anything? "I guess so..." He said, sounding unconvinced by Eun's logic and Heinrich's straightforwardness , as he eyed the paper she gave him, enough to at least not notice her motions towards Heinrich. As long as the creatures lurking Dearmad weren't able to ignore gravity...

But on their way, a new figure became visible in the distance, one that eventually was reached by them. It appeared to be a tiny woman, one that looked strangely out of place in an area like this. "Ah, well," Higini started, wondering what exactly to answer. Revealing their mission might not be something his partners would want, but at the same time, not answering the girl would be rude, and that ain't something he wanted to be known by in a strange land like this. "you could say that, yeah." He answered, his meek voice trailing off as he wondered what the others would say. At least the girl knew that they were going in that direction. But why? It's a mysteyr.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Eun perked her attention towards the figure as they approached it. After discerning that it was a woman, she moved to write something down, but was quickly cut off by not only her asking if they were heading north, but Higini answering straight away.

In recent years, she rarely cursed the fact that she couldn't speak. This was one of those rare moments.

She moved to quickly snatch the paper back from Heinrich and jotted something down before handing it back to him before finally turning towards the woman with the staff. She smiled and nodded, but made no other moves; as much as she hated it, it'd be up to Heinrich to talk their way through this one.

As for what she had written to him this time: 'It's a trap.'
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Oh, my, a lone traveler in Dearmad? And looking none the worse for wear at that! Now, the only people that looked that way in a place were either brand new, or those that were right in their element. So when something like that walks up to you and asks you about where you're heading, it takes some careful consideration in how you answer.

Or, you can be a damn fool and just speak honestly right away. He just gave Higini a smile, and glanced around their parched landscape for a tree that looked like it had a branch sturdy enough to support a rope and some idiot fruit. Eun had given him a note and he nodded to her with a much more sincere smile. At least she had the survival instincts of the fox she was crossed with. Not walking meat like some others.

"Why are ya askin'? Leavin' that way? And to who do we owe the pleasure?" Might as well get to know what they're dealing with. He puts a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Where I'm from, it's customary to let the coachman do the talking in these sorts of situations." They had stopped, and the mule was just glancing around looking for something green to chew on and coming up short. They were ready to move, if need be.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

The cloaked young woman let out a delightful peal of laughter at Higini's response. She decided to ignore the rather obvious skepticism on the fox child's face and the older hunter's.

"I sure am headin' that way," she said. "I have a friend I'm s'posed to be meeting at a spring well around those parts--she lives in a little settlement and I plan to bring them supplies. It breaks my heart that she's out here where there's so much trouble, but that's what happens when you're digging up dirt and whatnot to find precious gems and rune stones, eh?"

The woman's amber eyes would look at Eun briefly, seemingly taking note of the fact she was the only one who hadn't verbally said anything. She then moved towards Higini and then Heinrich. Leaning against her lantern, she giggled.

"I'm not really used to the badlands, and--would you believe it?--I lost my map after making it out of a little fight with a snake Incantus just a little far back. I managed to scare him off, but it ended up having my map fall into a crevice, so I'd appreciate it if I could get some guidance lest I get lost in those dry hell of a desert."
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Eun kept a wary eye on the woman, noting that it was one of the most coincidental and unbelievable stories she had heard in a while. If she was in a fight with an Incantus, why would she have her map out in the first place, let alone have it fall into the most convenient place possible for her story? Things just didn't add up, but thankfully Heinrich had reigned the other boy in. Maybe that snake of a tongue of his could get the woman to spill out what she was really after, because she definitely wasn't out bringing supplies to anyone.

Eun's ears perked straight up as she continued to watch the woman, but otherwise she kept still and simply watched. If it was up to her, she'd chuck the woman back towards the town so they could continue, but lack of being able to vocalize that would mean either starting a fight or leaving it up to the one who actually seemed to enjoy negotiating. The latter definitely seemed like a better idea.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am