A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

Eat or be Eaten 2 - The Somewhat Disappointing Reboot to the Original; [side quest - Up to 4]

Lilac
    Admin

Eat or be Eaten 2 - The Somewhat Disappointing Reboot to the Original; [side quest - Up to 4]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:55 am

Job Request:
    WANTED: Seeking abled hunters and warriors in the village of Tolheim. A pack of corrupted beasts have taken settlement in the nearby wilderness, terrorizing our townsfolk and disrupting work. We require the aid of strong warriors to exterminate these monsters until they have all have been purged from our area. Payment of 250 denars for each slain monster will be given. To our knowledge there are up to 20 of these monsters and possibly more in the area, totalling up to 5,000 denars paid upon completion.

The corrupted beast in attention is the infamous Chimera breed.

Name: Chimera
    Description:
    A dangerous monster who is a hybrid of various creatures. Chimeras come in all forms and sizes. It is a general rule that the more heads a chimera has, the bigger it gets and the more dangerous it is. It possesses a tough hide extremely durable against weapons and magic but they also have  tears in their skin in various parts exposing muscles and tendons along as being their most vulnerable parts. Despite this common weakness, chimeras are extremely dangerous. All chimeras seem to share a narrow and small stomach and seem  to not require feeding for long expanses of time. Despite this they are extremely territorial and seem to kill out of either aggression or sport. Caution is highly advised when dealing with Chimera. Most seem to travel on their own but very rarely they may join packs in respect to dominance.

Abilities:
    [*]Chimera - A carnivorous appetites with benefits. Chimeras possess an ability unique to them that made them what they are. When a chimera consumes another living creature, it somehow grows a head resembling whatever they had eaten as well as gain some sort of trait from it.
    [*]Fire Breath – Any mouth can breath a powerful blast of fire.
    [*]Chimera Venom - Chimera fangs and claws can secrete a powerful toxin that numbs and paralyzes humans and creatures. it spreads across whatever body apart was bitten but seems to dilute before reaching further. The venom eventually wears off on its own (one turn cycle) but getting bitten on the torso can mean complete cardiac arrest and paralyzed lungs.

Any abled warriors may travel to the village of Tolheim and come to the local warrior's guild. Captain Boris Stonehammer will provide more information.

The village of Tolheim was small and simple. Situated next to a river, it had a wheat mill and a logging cabin situated along it. The town hall was situated in the far back and family houses were scattered near it. There was also a general goods shop and a blacksmith a ways from it with an inn between them. In the center of the town seemed to be a cathedral of sorts with a bell tower. To the direct left of the village entrance was a building as large as the town hall with a sign sporting the image of a battlehammer, the emblem of the local warrior's guild and the town's personal militia.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Eat or be Eaten 2 - The Somewhat Disappointing Reboot to the Original; [side quest - Up to 4]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 am

"This seems to be the place."

The never-ending adventure of Kassandra Yoxall that could be seen as the 'probably impossible quest to regain her humanity and vanish her Incantus for all eternity' eventually lead her to Tolheim, whi just so happens to present a conundrum she was willing to solve. Nefarious Chimerae were disrupting the peace of the city, and they were offering a reward for it. 250 Denans each kill, with 5000 being the grand total, a reward that definitely caught her eye.

She knew that Chimerae were not easy beasts to deal with, but if she was the only one, she could at least try to slowly dwindle their numbers, until they were all gone. That is, unless she wasn't the only one doing this job. In the meantime, she stood in front of the entrance of the warrior's guild, holding a paper of the job with one hand, and a half eaten piece of bread with another. Once the bread was over, she opened the door.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Re: Eat or be Eaten 2 - The Somewhat Disappointing Reboot to the Original; [side quest - Up to 4]

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 am

"I am at unease with this, Little Miss," Wanyu told Mirai.

"Oh, Wanyu, you worry too much," she said. "You know I go on quests alone, and I can assure you I am more than capable of doing this without your company."

The two were a rather odd sight in the area. For one, Wanyu wore typical commoner's clothes that was more akin to what was worn in Sakigake. While it was true that many Enkidu lived here, most had adapted to the more Esterian aesthetics in terms of apparel. That said, where the old and weary Wanyu in his brownish-red yukata and hat looked too underdressed, his mistress was the exact opposite. The "little miss" looked like a walking doll. Her dress was rather different in that it did not reach the ground. Rather, the skirt seemed to hover at her knees in a bell-shape due to a petticoat. Her choice of colors consisted of a rich plum palette. She also wore a rather modern Stahlminian miniature hat in contrast to the typical lace bonnet. Regardless, the girl carried herself with a certain air, holding her parisol like a cane and walking with her chin high up.

"It's not that I doubt your abilities, Little Miss," Wanyu said. "But these 'beasts'...they are quite different altogether, I hear."

"I'll be the judge of that," she said.

Wanyu said nothing and merely stared at her. The girl's expression softened from its typical aloof one, and she smiled.

"You know I would not endanger myself," she said. "My mother's mission is too great. I promise I shall be careful. And I know you'll keep an eye from afar."

Wanyu nodded.

"Indeed," he said. "Then, may Akamare be with you."

"And you."

With that, Wanyu opened to the door to the meeting place and Mirai stepped in. Fanning herself with a lace fan, she looked around. The place was almost barren.

"Is this where I am to learn of the Chimerae quest?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 am

Inside the guild hall, the adventurers find a rustic interior matching the exterior. It looked to be one big room with a staircase that led to the upper balcony that from the main floor can be seen to feature a bar with a pyramid of wine barrels behind it. The walls of the main floor were decorated with pelts and antlers from accomplished hunts. Dead center was a large fire pit, the base shaped like a massive anvil, and surrounding the pit was a wide table of stone with simple chairs. There were plates with discarded bones and tipped over goblets along the table. It was most likely where the guild members gathered for supper. To the left of the pit were racks of metal weapons and a ring surrounded by wooden guard rails, a place for sparring. To the right were oakwood shelves of books and three small tables.

There were handfuls of warriors wearing both armor and leather spread along the guild hall. When the adventurers came in, greeting them was a wooden table with papers spread across and a large man scribbling along them.

He was a large man, looking what seemed to be 6' 4" with a tight muscular tone and a bronze tan. The man wore a bronze chestplate that looked molded to his chest and abs. A short red cape hung from his shoulders. His arms were bare from the shoulder down, save for a studded leather brace on his right and a metal plate glove on his left hand. His chainmail leggings tucked into his armored boots. Standing on its head to his right was a big stone hammer with a short handle.

When the group all filed in almost in unison, he scribbled one last line and set the feather quill in an inkpot and looked up. His facial features were as chiseled as his abs. He had blue eyes the color of sapphire, and a nose that hooked downward. His scalp was shaved and he had a grizzled stubble on his jaw.

"Ah, so you're here for the job," he stated. He places his hands against the table and pushed himself up, the table creaking under his weight until he stood at his full height. "I am Captain Stonehammer, leader of this guild. I'm the one that sent the requests."

He shifted some papers around, all the while giving the three people before him a quick once-over. "You probably all know this coming here but let me brief you on what you're facing," he stated. "Chimeras are a breed of corrupted beasts with a nasty ability. Whenever they feed, they grow an extra head and gain a trait from what they eat. They all seem to share the common abilities of poisonous bites and breaths of fire. Luckily their evolution seem to come with a very small stomach. They rarely need to eat but they are territorial and kill for either sport or aggression."

The captain produce three papers and spread them out in front of him. One of them was the same character sketch that was featured on the request fliers. The other showed a large stag with the hind legs of a mountain goat and a long reptilian tail as well as scale along its back and neck. The head of a snake and a goat sprout from each shoulder. In the third sketch was a wolf who looked like its lower half was cut off and replaced by the upper half of a mountain lion, the midsection stretched and bending in odd directions.

"Our village is built near a thick forest and beyond it is a small mountain. The area is widely populated with wolves, snakes, deer, mountain goats, and even some mountain lions. You can also find a good number of birds and the like. These are only some of the chimeras we've seen but the ones on the fliers are the most common. We've counted about twenty in the area but there could be more."

The captain narrowed his eyes and huffed, his finger tapping against the table.

"I'm going to be blunt, these creatures have been terrorizing our village for some time. Hunters aren't able to venture into the forest without risking a run-in with these beasts and sometimes they would wander into the farmlands and Guardian forbid when one charges into the village. We've managed to slay three of these before now but we need to purge the threat for good. My warriors are capable but I can't spare many of them for this. I need them ready to protect the farmlands and the village and the guild is only twenty men strong. That's where you three come in."

Stonehammer crossed his arms, his expression grave.

"As promised, you will be paid per head. Not literally mind you. For each chimera you fell, we will pay you two hundred fifty denars. I will admit, most of you seem a little too young, but stranger things wander these lands. If it seems you aren't capable of the job, you will return to the village immediately. Now, it's best that you travel as a group. We have supplies here at the village so stock up what you need at the general store. Gather in front of townhall when you're ready."

Stonehammer let out a mix between a sigh and a groan. He already looked tired, apparently not accustomed to giving such lengthy briefs. "Now then, any questions about the job? If not, then you may go."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 am

The place looked befitting to a warrior's guild, filled with trophies that reflected accomplishments instead of more refined decorations, armed people, and the faint scent of sweat, perhaps coming from said warriors. Kassandra was rather unfazed by the sight, even as her eye landed on the large man in the center. As she calmly observed him doing his writing, she heard the door opening again, causing her to look behind. Wanyu and Mirai would note how the deadeye looked at them with an unamused, almost judging glare, almost as if asking them if they were seriously considering joining her. One looked like a stranger in a strange land, his clothing clearly showing that he wasn't from any region of Esterelf, while the other looked... like a porcelain doll, fair and fragile looking.

But then, she heard the scribbling was over, and thus turn back to the man. Stonehammer gave the group an explanation of what is happening, and what their goal is, an explanation that Kassandra listened to silently, her stone-cold, emotionless expression reflected on her face, not moved even when he assumed that they were too young to do this. It would only be a problem if it turns out that she would also have to babysit the little urchin. And once he finished, she spoke up. "You are more knowledgeable of these lands than us," she started, rudely assuming the other two were just wash-out outlanders, "do you perhaps know of anything that we could exploit to have an advantage in the hunt? Any patterns in the Chimera's behavior that we could use, or some form to use the environment against them?" She was a hunter yes, but at the same time, the more preemptive knowledge she had of the land, the less she would have to find out on her own during the hunt itself, meaning more time for her to hatch a way to confront the chimeras more effectively.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Mirai had settled for fanning herself as she listened to the warrior brief them in on the quest. She picked up the sketch with a gloved hand and examined it carefully. When the man asked if they had questions, only one came to mind.

"I'm sure you do understand that corrupted beasts can't be purged out completely," she said. "Seeing how they're created to begin with. However, are you perhaps aware of any nest or gathering area most Chimeras might be in? If we can take on larger numbers, that can help."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Stonehammer listened to the adventurers' quarries and gave a small smirk with a chuckle.

"Excellent questions. You're professional hunters after all," he said. "Sadly, those are questions I can't easily answer. You see, chimeras are roamers and they don't stick to one designated area like most animals who guard their territory. It's an odd occurrence for so many to be in one area, but one way or another they've formed a pack and the entirety of the forest is their claimed territory. It's hard to pinpoint where or when one will show up, so it's literally a blind hunt, guardian protect you. We haven't pinpoint their lair but based on the pattern of sightings, they seem to come down from the base of the mountain, so that's where you'll fight your way up to. It'll take two days to travel that far so bring camp gear.

"Out there it's good natural forest. There're trees and vegetation to use as cover and usually that's enough for a normal hunt, but these beasts are different. You'll have to play it by ear and that's what makes it so dangerous.

"As for your map, you won't have to worry. Just gather what supplies you need and gather in front of the town hall. Good luck and may he watch over your hunt."

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

So Stonehammer told them they were shite outta luck. Great. If it wasn't for the fact that Kassandra had a perpetually grumpy face, she would most definitely grump at him right now. But at least he mentioned that the base of a nearby mountain was the most likely location for the Chimeras to be in, which was most definitely better than nothing. Once he was finished with his talk, Kassandra nodded at him, understanding the job that expects them.

Turning around, she looked at the two prospective hunters, with little to no hope in her eyes they would be useful. "I will gather supplies, and be at the town hall. Don't stall, or I will embark on my own." She said, her lack of patience showing, as she walked away from the place.

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:02 am

"I see..." Mirai said, pinching her chin thoughtfully. "Very well. I have no further questions."

She said nothing as Kassandra went ahead, but she did feel irritated. Someone being bossy and assuming she'd wait for others. Psh.

Mirai already had all the supplies she needed, so she didn't have to worry about that. She looked and examined the third member of the group to, up until this time, she hadn't really noticed. She supposed she would have to acquaint herself with the two people that were going to be her partners. No, partners was incorrect. Competition was more like it. After all, the bounty was per head. Not that she needed money, no. But she did want to understand the chimera as much as possible, and that would mean having to encounter them more.

With that, she headed towards the town hall to wait and see Kassandra. Mirai was resting her parasol on the ground and using it as a rest.

"Chimera," she said out loud. "They seem like interesting creatures, don't they?"

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:02 am

Eun was officially lost. She had seen the poster about the request to hunt chimeras, and she was pretty sure this was the town she was supposed to go to to sign up for it, but for the life of her she could not find out where to register! She had written 'Where are the chimeras?!' in her journal as a way to ask people where to go, but it seemed to have the opposite effect; anyone she showed it to just seemed to quicken their pace away from her. No idea why.

As she wandered about, though, she eventually made her way to what seemed to be the town hall. There, she saw someone sitting with a parasol, and just as she was considering going up to ask her, her ears perked up at the magic word.

She had definitely said 'Chimera'.

Rushing up as quick as her feet could carry her, Eun quickly opened her journal to the page in question, almost shoving it into the stranger's face. If she knew where the chimeras were, then she could finally start hunting and getting that reward money!

NPCs/Plot Characters:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm