Wiegenlied RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fantasy Roleplay Forum

A Flute And A Spell; Quest [Ask First]

Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

A Flute And A Spell; Quest [Ask First]  - Page 2 Empty Re: A Flute And A Spell; Quest [Ask First]

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:41 am

Apsen quietly listened and looked around as they drew closer to Heinrich's base. She had assumed it would be a campsite of some sort, but it happened to be a cart. She somewhat envied he didn't always have to put up a tent every time it rained, but she didn't say this. Instead, she spoke on the proposal of the pitfall.

"Yes it would," she said.

She rubbed her chin for a moment and took a few steps away from Heinrich. Taking a random stick on the ground, she dragged its tip across the dirt in a straight line.

"Now, corrupted beasts tend to alter in size, but a Kargdan at the very most would be five meters long. However, most are no more than 3-4, right?" she said. She moved onto drawing a horizontal line. "We'd also have to make it deep enough so it can't climb out or anything if it's not killed instantly from below."

From her cloak, Aspen pulled out a wooden flute and then leaned against a tall tree. She played several notes.

"I can provide a decoy to lure it," she offered. "I make pretty convincing sendings. Look lifelike enough to fool most beasts I deal with. There's a matter of tracking the thing down as well. It could be anywhere. Where would you suggest we put your trap?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

A Flute And A Spell; Quest [Ask First]  - Page 2 Empty Re: A Flute And A Spell; Quest [Ask First]

"Given it's armor, it won't be a nimble creature. The main concern would be that it might might just stomp its way out by collapsing one side of the pit with its ability."

What he had in mind, he tapped his temple. "We stake the bottom of the pit with long, sturdy spears, barbed and arranged to hit it first and further restrict its motion, yeah?"

As for where. "We find the tracks, we pick a nice big opening, just the sort of area where it'd rather just charge right in, we leave this tiger pit, and we cover it. the Decoy runs past, it goes hot in pursuit."

He circles around, as if there were an invisible pit with an invisible Kargdan already in. The surprise and it's own weight would have started it, we come from behind, long, keen weapons, look for openings in its plate and keep prodding and attacking at our leisure until it's over. We have the horn and everyone wins."

Except the beast of course, but Heinrich cared very little for what they had to say in this plan.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Yes, I was about to suggest spikes at the bottom," she said. "If you think we'll have a hard time keeping it in though, I can also cast a spell to keep it still long enough to make sure it's dead. Though, I don't think it'll come to that."

Aspen straightened up and put her flute away. She looked at the tree she had been leaning on and laid her palm flat against it.

"Birith wood," she said. "Easy enough to carve, but definitely won't break easily. I think we can use these. Now, shall we go look for the thing or do you want to bring some gear with you? I already have all I need with me."

She motioned to the satchel that hung around her waste.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Well, things aren't nearly as portable without all that fancy carta, but everything I own I keep on wheels, as you can see. We can set it up on the way."

He supposed he'd invite her inside and they'd be off soon. He pulled up front, steered their course and as soon as she was in, off they go.

So, seems your'e mostly interested in the horn, aye? Kind of a useful thing for Carta, innit?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Seeing him approach in his vehicle, Aspen quickly leapt on and loaded her bow. Rather than turning to face him, she looked around, mostly because she was wary of bird Incantii that always seemed to follow her wherever she went. When he asked her about the horn, she gave him a quick glance before turning away again.

"Yes, it is," she said. "But while it's useful for that, I'm more interested in carving it to a new flute. It's quality and hollowed inside actually makes it good for playing and doesn't have the inconsistencies of molded clay or hollowed out wood. However, there's nothing I can do if he wants it for himself. I'm just hoping where one Kargdan is, I might find another and be just as ready to fight it when I do. How about you? What are you in this for? Just the job?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:42 am

He took a moment to confirm their directions, then he took the reigns with a snap. After a quick lurch, they were off.

"Who knows? Perhaps this one'll be a mother? It's always hilarious how beast seem to get indignant when something's menacing their babies. No self-awarness I suppose." He'd seen a corrupted beast swallow children hole without so much as a second care, but when the tables are turned? How they howl, the fury that they come at you with. The ultimate punchline.

Now why does he do it? Hmmmm. "Because I'm good at it, because corrupted beasts gotta go, and 'cause the pays nice. There needs to be another reason for that?"

As a rule of thumb, spilling your life's story to a stranger was a bad idea on first meeting. If he were a character in a novel or somesuch, it was a great way to ensure he wouldn't survive to the second act, after all.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Aspen thought for a moment and shook her head.

"I suppose not," she murmured.

The path Heinrich's wagon would start them on cut through the cluster of tall and narrow trees. The forest ground was filled with short, bristle-like grass, with dry leaves and twigs littering the ground in broken bits and pieces. What little bits of sky the two hunters could see past the branches and leaves above them were little snakes of a rust-colored dusk.

Aspen straightened up in her seat and pointed ahead. Several trees had snapped and fallen, their ends splintered and uneven.

"That's probably the work of the Kargdan," she said. "Definitely can't be done by a bear and not clean enough to be that of a wood cutter's. Should we get on foot from here?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

"Yeah, that seems about right to me."

He nodded and pulled the cart to a stop. The mule pulling eased up until they were going ahead no more. Heinrich hopped off and at once he walked aside it. "One moment. I should get ready in the event we come face to face with it."

Their primary plan depended on them having the advantage. But just in case they didn't, he'd prefer not to be caught with anything less potent than a heavy, piercing polearm and the most potent acid he could concoct to at least have a chance against it.
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

As if on cue, the two would start hearing stomping and tree-ramming in the distance. If they looked upwards, they would see some of the birch and pine branches rustling as something was being pushed back.

Aspen readied her bow.

"I think it's up ahead," she said. "But I can't be too sure just yet."

Stepping lightly, Aspen walked past the trees and would pause to check for what was ahead. If Heinrich was in close proximity, they would notice the silhouette of a cumbersome creature knocking down trees as it stood on all fours. Tiny streaks of light filtered through the foliage to show that it was, indeed, the Kargdan and it seemed to be trying to knock the trees down into a pile. Its yellow eyes remained focused on its task.

"What do you want to do now?" Aspen whispered. "Should we wait or do you think we should start the trap?"
    Lilac
    Lilac
    Admin

Post by Lilac Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:43 am

Despite the boar spear over his shoulder, Heinrich kept in pace with Aspen. He was in thought along the whole way, if he eliminated most other things that would naturally lurk and lair around these woods, what else could have possibly made that ruckus but their quarry?

Nothing that came to mind at once. His suspicions were confirmed when from their vantage point, they saw the Kargdan hard at work. She wanted to know his opinion on how to handle it. He looked over the thing once. Were it wounded or had an obvious infirmity or disadvantage they could exploit, that was one thing.

But it looked as healthy and sturdy as ever. Not a foe to just move on and 'wing it.'

"Well now. He seems hard at work. I'd say we go do the same. If we hurry, we'll be finished before it's satisfied and the fun can begin." He moved to quietly withdraw and go back. At least if they worked from there it would be a straight shot from the monster to their staging area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 pm